Search Tags - Update

mjensen415

We’re always looking for new ways to help match potential buyers with sellers who can help them achieve their goals.

In the coming months, we’re planning to enhance the way search identifies your Gig, and decide if it’s relevant to the buyers searching for services. With this update we’ll start focusing on the search tags that define your service.

This update is very important as it can affect your Gig position in search results. Using relevant search tags can help buyers find you faster (so they can place an order!) so choose them wisely.

Before we apply the new method, we wanted to give you some time to update and add the right tags for you and your Gig. You should go update on the Gig edit page (it’s called “search tags”). You’ll get a more detailed notice when we have a release date for this change.

Make sure you visit our dedicated Academy article that explains more about search tags and what you should consider before choosing any.

If you have questions, please post below in comments.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi there! well, I am a brand new comer and my page keeps on disappearing even though it is active!! Might this be due to the new search tag system,? I use: VOICE OVERS VOICE TALENT FRENCH NARRATION ( just copied and pasted) my profile came up just once, and now can’t find it again!

“We use complex algorithms in order to determine where & when Gigs will show up in search”

wow! Just read this. but… if I don’t show up, how am i going to find some work? It’s pretty straight forwards as well, as far as search go! I already feel; like giving up.

Hello, I am working on fiverr since long time and I was struggled too much to rank my gig up, But since last 3 weeks I am facing an issue that my gig is shoeing in just one search category (Superb whiteboard animation) not showing in multiple categories like (whiteboard animation, whiteboard animation video, Amazing whiteboard animation, professional whiteboard animation, etc) my gig was showing in these categories 3 weeks before. I have contact the customer center multiple times but they are saying that everything is fine in your gig. I can’t if everything is fine then why my gig is not showing in other categories too like showing 3 weeks before, I really worked hard to raise up my gig ranking. Please suggest me what should I do?

Regards,
Usman

On 5/15/2017 at 2:19 PM, usman_ameen said:

Hello, I am working on fiverr since long time and I was struggled too much to rank my gig up, But since last 3 weeks I am facing an issue that my gig is shoeing in just one search category (Superb whiteboard animation) not showing in multiple categories like (whiteboard animation, whiteboard animation video, Amazing whiteboard animation, professional whiteboard animation, etc) my gig was showing in these categories 3 weeks before. I have contact the customer center multiple times but they are saying that everything is fine in your gig. I can’t if everything is fine then why my gig is not showing in other categories too like showing 3 weeks before, I really worked hard to raise up my gig ranking. Please suggest me what should I do?

@katchakatia, @usman_ameen and @fahimulkarim I would suggest reading through the Academy page that was referenced here and try some things out with your search tags. Fiverr has been working hard on the search page for some time and it’s great they are informing sellers with some steps to take. Before jumping to worries, questions and assumptions, though, I’d try things out and see how it goes!

As a buyer, I’m not sure if I’m onboard with this.

There are amazing sellers who may not read the forum or are ESL. They may not know to do this, giving an advantage to some. Those that read and understand this may not be the best qualified.

My biggest frustration is getting unqualified sellers who disguise themselves with good reviews (some fake, some real) and correct tags.

I realize you and sellers care about tags, understandable.

I, as a buyer, just want the most qualified on page one.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, mjensen415 said:

With this update we’ll start focusing on the search tags that define your service.

This update is very important as it can affect your Gig position in search results. Using relevant search tags can help buyers find you faster

I think it’s very important to notice what this doesn’t say. it doesn’t say that search tags will be the only search criteria. Is says that it “can affect” your gig position, but doesn’t say that it absolutely will or that other factors aren’t involved. It also says that the use of relevant search tags “can help buyers find you faster.” That implies that search tags could be a part of the process when buyers are looking for sellers and good tags might speed that up. It doesn’t openly say that sellers won’t be found by other means like filters, featured status, possibly level and the other things that have long influenced rank like delivery turnaround, ratings, etc.

Since this is also a new thing, there is no way to be sure that it won’t be tweaked many times.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:01 PM, mjensen415 said:

We’re always looking for new ways to help match potential buyers with sellers who can help them achieve their goals.

In the coming months, we’re planning to enhance the way search identifies your Gig, and decide if it’s relevant to the buyers searching for services. With this update we’ll start focusing on the search tags that define your service.

This update is very important as it can affect your Gig position in search results. Using relevant search tags can help buyers find you faster (so they can place an order!) so choose them wisely.

Before we apply the new method, we wanted to give you some time to update and add the right tags for you and your Gig. You should go update on the Gig edit page (it’s called “search tags”). You’ll get a more detailed notice when we have a release date for this change.

Make sure you visit our dedicated Academy article that explains more about search tags and what you should consider before choosing any.

If you have questions, please post below in comments.

if dozen of users will use the same tag, for example VECTOR in my case, will it be sorted how?

Because the last topics related to search and fiverr CS, will it be based on gigs performance?

With the long discussions had here at fiver forum related to search system, right now the search seems is based in nothing, the search is basically frozen, no refresh.

So based in tags and gig performance would be great for those who are doing a good work.

Please let me know

Hie

Saw your other post about Testing Search Placement Algorithm. Topic = Testing Our Search Placement Algorithm

I haven’t got chance to reply there because the topic was closed already.

Search issue still persists.

This problem started happening since November 2016 onwards. Since then fiverr search is acting very weird. Currently its not showing results the way it should

For example in RELEVANCE filter its showing non rated gigs or gigs who has done 1 or 2 orders on the first pages. In Avg customer rating you will see the gigs who are not even rated on first pages of search results, But it should show the gigs who are highly rated. Currently its not. Whereas it should show highly rated gigs in Avg Customer rating. And in Relevance filter it should show gigs by rating + gig title + tags etc.

Currently its doing no calculations i think.

On 5/16/2017 at 12:40 AM, mahmud685 said:

Please on tag section at least make sure we can add 10 tags according to search. That will be a great help for our gigs.

Have you read what the Academy page said about tags? the more tags you use, the higher and stronger your competition will become, and the fewer chances for your gig to be found 😉 So I, myself, definitely wouldn’t want more than 5 keywords.

I still don’t understand why “SEO” can’t be used more than once, and two repetitions are considered excessive 😒 - that’s nonsense considering that other words can be used even 3 times without saying it’s excessive.

Have you read what the Academy page said about tags? the more tags you use, the higher and stronger your competition will become, and the fewer chances for your gig to be found 😉 So I, myself, definitely wouldn’t want more than 5 keywords.

I love higher competition … Because if I provide standard and great service then I will always get my clients … I have no worry about it. But with 5 tags I can’t describe my service clearly.

See tags are only one part of search system , other customer when search you they see the review you get too 🙂

On 5/16/2017 at 1:01 AM, experthq said:

Saw your other post about Testing Search Placement Algorithm. Topic = Testing Our Search Placement Algorithm

I haven’t got chance to reply there because the topic was closed already.

Search issue still persists.

This problem started happening since November 2016 onwards. Since then fiverr search is acting very weird. Currently its not showing results the way it should

For example in RELEVANCE filter its showing non rated gigs or gigs who has done 1 or 2 orders on the first pages. In Avg customer rating you will see the gigs who are not even rated on first pages of search results, But it should show the gigs who are highly rated. Currently its not. Whereas it should show highly rated gigs in Avg Customer rating. And in Relevance filter it should show gigs by rating + gig title + tags etc.

Currently its doing no calculations i think.

I almost completely agree with you my friend.

Exactly what I think about Avg Customer rating, but about RELEVANCE the own name says it. It`s relevant as fiverr would like to show the search to that buyer.

But if you see, avg customer reviews is just frozen. and no matter how the buyers perform, those on top will keep on top getting most of the new buyers.

I`m just surviving these last 2 months thanks to my great clients. But if it dont change soon i beliebe I wont last long

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear but I wonder 😞 at the same time that SEARCH TAGS are still very limited to use and also if we want to use a keyword more than one time? For example I have a Gig related to LOGO DESIGN but I only allow to use a keyword LOGO only one time among 5 tags, so how you ensure to rank the gigs like this way even every one using at least the word logo one time which is the same thing for all.

I think you should allow the sellers to use the the word LOGO along with the combinations with other words like business logo, awesome logo, professional logo etc so there could be a better chance to the sellers to express their Gig in terms of search tags.

Awesome! Thank you so much for letting us know.

Search tags are available in fiverr from start of fiverr platform I think and I have added them long ago when I was first time creating gigs, I dont know they are not any use till now in ranking or getting new orders! So search tags are of use now!

Were they not being used before?

I noticed the article mentioned that plural/singular doesn’t matter, but I’m not sure how that could be done without someone reviewing each one. For instance, Wordpress ends with an ‘s’ but it’s not plural. Also, it kind of should matter, because changing a word or words in a phrase from plural to singular and vice-versa can sometimes alter the meaning.

The Relevance Section is the first thing buyers see in a category and it makes no sense as to which gigs are seen first. I can’t see a reason for gigs to be on top with almost no reviews nor any redeeming features that would make them ones people would buy many times. This might be what the new update will fix.

When a user search for a service then instead of search tags the title is being searched.

I mean if i search for youtube channel art then Those gigs are displayed which have its title mentioned Youtube channel art. I dont see the use of search tags here??

Will search tags will help in sorting gigs if they are browsed through section eg. “Graphics & Design / Social Media Design/”

Then will more review and rating help the Top rated sellers to come on top??

The Relevance Section is the first thing buyers see in a category and it makes no sense as to which gigs are seen first. I can’t see a reason for gigs to be on top with almost no reviews nor any redeeming features that would make them ones people would buy many times. This might be what the new update will fix.

The default filtering is based on how does the buyer approaches the listings though.

For example, if you use the search option, the default sorting is “Relevance”.

However, if you just browse a category, the default sorting method is “Avg. Customer Review”.

With that said, I’m still waiting for an update also. They made this exact change in January, since that pretty much all of my sales are coming from my own social media promotion, as my listings are completely lost in the dump. Starting to feel like a huge ripoff now. The more and better reviews I have, the worse placement I deserve. Totally worth the efforts.

I simply cannot understand what kind of placement are they testing now. And no, I’m not just blaming the system because of the drop in my sales, but because it makes zero sense. I mean, how could one of my competitor’s gig with around 180 5 star reviews and tens of orders in queue perform in the placement worse, than my gig that has two 4 star reviews and about 1 sale a year? Why is his gig 2 pages behind mine? He deserves to be on the first page, not on the last one.

It’s a huge pain on the buyers’ end also. I’m looking for a decent seller for a task I have on my list for so long now, but it’s impossible to find the sellers that are great. No matter how I search, all I see are listings with 0 to 3 reviews and nonsense pricing. Thanks Fiverr.

Archived