Sell me this Pen... A seller's Instructionals (From a techie's POV)

It is common knowledge that technical professionals seldom lack the ability to communicate proficiently unlike other professionals such as businessmen, lawyers etc.

On the other hand our brain works super efficiently (a biased opinion of course!), but our tongue offers basic functionality.

So this thread is about SALESMANSHIP from the point of a non-sales person such as myself.

There are a lot of different categories here on Fiverr, but majority of questions regarding sales on this forum are coming from service providers of the technical nature.

So let us get to the meat on the bone. Although I come from a technical background, I have been blessed with an articulate mind and tongue as well. Is that important? It sure as hell IS!! Especially when you are working in a SALES ENVIRONMENT, and not only that, the person you are offering your services to has not and never will ever meet you. So the talks about “First Impressions” go OUT the door. Do you have to have a degree to be articulate, no not really (just play a lot of scrabbles…LOL j/k!). You just need to learn to say the right words, mixed with the right emotions.

I am not going to delve deeper into articulation, then this forum topic is just going to be looking more like a biography than an informative article.

Step 1:
“Greetings”, “Hello There”, “Howdy”, even starting with “Hi”, automatically makes you personable. This is key; as all communication via seller is done electronically and you do not get a chance to make character impression. To them (the buyers), all we are, are Names & Numbers (your gig offer).

Step 2:
Ask questions and answer in Layman’s Terms! Yes, Layman’s terms, meaning breaking your technical knowledge into bite sized little baby food, so that anyone can swallow and understand what you are talking about. (Please don’t go and put your scrabble pieces in a blender and blend it to mush now!)
I’ve had plenty of complements from my sellers that I “Dummy” it down for them. This links back to step 1 again, impressions, impressions!

Step 2b:
Please stop posting your pre-written script of: “Yes, I can do this…blah blah blah… and HIRE ME because I am the best at blah blah blah…” Hey, maybe your arms are tired of posting response to 10 buyers request! 10 you say?? Oh my gawwd! So many??? LOL
I won my very first gig (only 29 days ago!), because I used a very important KEYWORD while replying to the client’s request. The keyword was: “Dreamweaver”. The client needed someone using Dreamweaver to make a website, and I happened to be the only one with a response with that word in it. Guess what, she told me she hired me out of 65 offers, just because of that. Success story? Yes, thank you, more please! LOL

Step 3:
Here I will talk a bit about down and up selling. No hate to Tier 2 or TRS’ here, but to begin with you HAVE to down sell, to build up your portfolio, BUT, don’t go overboard with it. It is NOT worth it.
In my professional life I used to earn $35/hr, here I started with making pennies to the dollar. Start by throwing bids on moderately priced items such as customers asking for a gig for $20-$45. Don’t offer $5 here, as you think you are low balling others to get the gig, but you are actually doing a few WRONG things:

• Diluting the market value of a gig
  • You are setting yourself up for higher expectation, which is technically setting yourself up for failure.
  •   You are breaking trust of the buyer

I am not going to explain the above points, as this post was originally for selling a pen. LOL

Step 4:
Create a gig that is priced at average for its category. For e.g “Installing a WordPress plugin”, set the gig price at $10. $5 is too low, $20 is too high. So when you bid for the buyer’s request, you can adjust accordingly, and the buyer WILL visit your profile (TRUST ME!), and CAN gauge your technical ability and HONESTY (yes HONESTY!) from it.

Step 5:
Never do a “Bait and Switch”! NEVER EVER even try to do the following: a client wanted a WordPress plugin installed and some minor CSS customizations. You offer them your basic $10 fee for the gig and then once you start it, you go and ask them for more money to do the design customization, “SINCE YOUR GIG WAS ONLY FOR A SINGLE ACTION ITEM… BLAH BLAH BLAH”.
Trust me you will NOT succeed in Fiverr if you play this way folks!

Step 6:
Learn to say NO. This is in regards to your ability to complete a required gig function perfectly. I’ve had many instances where I got a response back from my Gig Offer, but it turned out that the client was completing wanting something else. I thanked them for contacting me and POLITELY said no, I could not complete the requested functions.
***BONUS: Suppose you do NOT know how to perform certain gigs, GOOGLE it and provide your Potential client with THAT information. Trust me, a single display of empathy will go a LONG WAY!! Most customers are clueless as to what they really need, or they are not even aware of ALL the options, even if you cannot help them out with the actual task, you can show them the road to it. They WILL appreciate this, and REMEMBER YOU!

Final Step (but not the least):
Up sell!(This goes out to all my Level 2 and TR Sellers!) Start with Step 4 (noted above), and add gig Extras. Never stop offering your gig Extras, they are free to create and it’s only bonus if it’s accepted!

So to conclude, to sell like a sales person, you have to PERSONABLE, with a bit of coyness and a dash of confidence. And YOU are all set to go!

So before I teach you HOW TO SELL A PEN, I am going to ask you sir/maam, “Do you HAVE a pen?”

Thanks for reading!

Ostentatiously ,

• DJ GodKnows

Help me to sell my gig
Anything I should change on my profile, not getting sales?
Buyers who think they 'own' you for the day with a Fast order
About Post request
Hello all ~ A quick introduction
Bullet tips to improve GIG making
I need guidence about how to improve my gigs
Please help, i have created my gigs for sometime now but no sales
New Seller No Orders
Am new, Need help in selling
Suggestions appreciated for keywords/tags
Please Help Me I Am Not Getting Any Orders Please Help, Thanks
Please Help Me I Am Not Getting Any Orders Please Help, Thanks
I am New at Fiver ....Help please
My sales have suddenly dropped?
New to Fiverr, Looking to Learn More
No Customers To my Gig
Fiverr work sharing
How do i get my first customer :(
My Experience on Fiverr so far!
How do i repost my fiverr gig?
Sellers posting Buyer requests to promote themselves
Rating dropped to 87%
Not new but don't have sale yet. What am i doing wrong?
Need help regarding gig
Buyer Requests - how to get the gig!
Fiverr Slump Help?
Has anybody else had a drastic increase in impressions?
Selling myfirst gig
Lots of clicks but no orders?
Not getting any orders on fiverr
Help me for my gigs
I want to sale my gig
Extremely frustrated
No sales, what I'm doing wrong
How Can I Get My First Sale? Beginner on Fiverr
New on Fiverr as a translator
How i get the first order ? Need Suggestions
Suggest improvements in gig
What would you rate my gig video?
Do you think I'm offering something original?
Not recieving customers
I have not been able to make sales from the buyer request page
Hey... I'm new here any tips for me to increase my sellings?
Newbie Introduction
Help me with my first sale
Plz improve my GIG
Am I able to know that someone is gonna buy my gig soon?
I've been on Fiverr for some time, but I've not made a sale! Please, what am I doing wrong?
How to get attention?
Help For a new seller
New on Fiverr :D
Bullet tips to improve GIG making
I am confused! i need a mentor to #fiver_through_me! :D :innocent:
Don't get much sales. Can anyone help?
No orders almost one month , i send everyday 10 offers but no luck!
Help me for my Gigs | New Seller
Where i can use my photoshop skills?
My luck is not favouring me what to do?
I have 8 gigs, with very few orders
Improve my gig Thank you
Organic Traffic
Been slow compared to the past, any advice for my gigs?
I can't get a sale
Suggestions please, thanks
I'm not getting orders
New Fiverr Arrivals
Please give me feedback on my Gig
Rating dropped to 87%
How can I get more traffic & more sales to my gigs?
Not getting sales/suggestions needed
Help! I need someone to explain how revisions work
Help me in getting first order
How can i Improve my gig for more sale
New Artist Seller!
What am I doing wrong?!
New to Fiverr freelancing
Hi! I'm new in here! Who would be nice enough and guide me to improve?
No offers on my buyer requests
Review my profile and gigs, please!
Can someone review my gig please ? :)
Ideas for a Brand-New Fiverr Seller?
Somebody please help with my first sales
Over 120 views, no orders, help/feedback?
Buyer traffic almost completely disappeared this year
I need help with this
What can I do to improve my translation GIG?
Started our a week ago. This is my Stat
Please kindly view my gig! Help a BROTHER out
Help me improve my gig
How to Improve the Gig on Fiverr
Suggestion needed Please
I cant get a sale
Why I am not Getting any Orders
Recommendations for improvement?
Buyers, Positive Rating
I am ROAD RASH, the pissed off Outlaw Biker
Tips to enhance my profile
A 16 year old with no skills
Give shot to new seller
I potentially have a new market! Need some feedback/advice
I will make a Stylish Buisness card in 24 hours
Adult Fiction Writer
How can I get 1st order my gig
Can anyone tell me why i am not getting orders on my gig
Shocking..................No orders
How to improve this?
I need help for my first sale
New on Fiverr- How to improve my Gig?
I cannot make a single sale
Please help..I want to sent offer but not sending?
Please can you help me with my Gig?
I have not go one order, plz help!
Level 1 seller but not getting work
I am New at Fiver ....Help please
Need some help please
Help After Entring Level 1 Seller!
New on Fiverr, i need some honest critique please!
Check my gigs help me to improve
How do I receive more orders orders on Fiverr?
Tips for improving my my gig
How to do seo of your gigs and get more buyers
Level 0, hard to get sales
New to Fiverr, NO ORDERS YET
Since last 3 month i am not getting oders
Hey everyone, Illustrator and Graphic Designer here
It's been two weeks, five detailed gigs and no orders yet. Why people? What am I doing wrong?
Could someone review my Gig?
First day here at fiver! Help me to improve?
Second day here at fiverr! Help me improve?
Review my profile and gigs
Hi Fiverr's i'm new here :)
New user + Doing work for free?
How do you get people to see your gig?
Buyers bad behavior Please report this issue with me
Polish translations and portraits drawing
Two month in fiverr.but no order yet
Please Help Me,
Please Help profile to boost sale please?
Hello everybody, I'm new here!
Is Buying and selling from same account is allowed in fiverr policy

Image Credit: penturners.org

Oh, my instructionals would be most beneficial for Newbie sellers and Level 1 sellers.

I cannot believe it. It hasn’t been even an hour and I’m already getting messages from sellers regarding assistance. I think i opened Pandora’s box.
Sadly there isn’t a way for me to make my id private.

Oh Hey Fiverr! I’ve got an idea for a new Forum Feature: Contact Privacy!!

Wolf of Wall Street scene lol

Which part bunny?

Hmm… Seems like no one is interested in my story… oh well… I will keep talking to myself here… lol

Well, I guess it’s pretty obvious to most successful sellers here. All the other people only contact you privately after having read your first sentence. Keep

I’m guilty of using those quick responses. Recently, I’ve been trying to become more personable and build better relationships. I’ve noticed an increase in my repeat buyers after I started using greetings and signing off with a “Thank you”. I guess it just made me seem more friendly and approachable!

AND personable and memorable. After this mass market dilution, the only difference you can bring to the table, would be your unique customer service and personality.

Well this thread wasn’t intended for successful sellers tho… Oh well… and Keep what?

Wow, I read that entire thing. As a tech person I completely agree I need to work on my speaking/communicating skills. This was eye opening. I especially liked the part when you described if you don’t know how to do something they ask, just turn them in the right direction.
After reading this I plan to go and change some things. Thank you so much!

De Nada ninjanic.
Glad I could be of any assistance! :smiley:

I see that your post is really informative. A lot of persuade techniques! That’s exactly what sellers should know about. You’ve combined together different activators like statement approach, authority, likeability and credibility.

Good job!

Mulțumesc Chris!

Chilic

Informative…!

Thanks

amazing …WOLF OF WALL STREET dialogues :smiley:

You are so correct especially about step 1 and 2.
Tech people tend to have the “curse of knowledge”, and are unable or unwilling to use language that can be understood by someone not farmilure with the terminology.
Sometimes just adding 10% more words will help.
Also being personal lets the buyer know that you are a real person, and you are the one that is actually doing the work.