Fiverr Community Forum

Seller asks for source file of the explainer video after delivery

It happens to me third time that the seller asks for source file without any previous agreement. Usually, it happens when I explain that I can’t make revisions forever, and I can’t make a revision for new ideas and things they want to add at the end of the process. I’m talking about explainer video file wich is a huge file. What should I do?

1 Like

You must add this in your gig description, and f you want to release it to your buyers for payment, add it to the extras, and add the payment.

Buyer will purchase it or never disturb you about it…

1 Like

Ask them to pay :moneybag: if you offer the explainer at 100$ the source file should cost 1000$

4 Likes

Say no. Tell them that you don’t offer to provide source files and if they have a problem with that, send the,m to CS.

3 Likes

What is wrong with a buyer asking for a source file? I always ask for the source file, not because I want to change it but because I want it on a backup drive. Many times I’ve had files corrupt, designers quit, etc and without a source file I’ve lost something important. If the file is too big for the Fiverr messaging system, you could use Dropbox.

I think you should add the source file as an option on your gig but I wouldn’t make it too expensive because that could be a deterrent to a potential customer.

3 Likes

if the buyer has the source file they can do what they want with it and create their own videos or even sell it on which means you are going to have people doing the same videos as @emilalek. Giving away the source file is giving away your business. Put up a FAQ on the gig stating source files are not provided and put this in the description as well and remove this nonsense about unlimited revisions or you are going to have people taking advantage

4 Likes

I use to give away my source file if people asked but it did come back to bite me. The person I gave my source file to wanted to really know how I did something in videoscribe. They bought my regular gig and when it was done, asked if I would provide the source file in case they needed to edit it if I was not around. Low and behold, a few weeks later he had a whiteboard gig and pretty much adapted his demo video after my source file. I learn my lesson.

Not all buyers are technology geeks. Even we provide them source file, they are unable to manipulate with it. They still need professional help.

1 Like

Anyone who asks for the original editable file, is asking to get ´´the template´´.

That kind of request should be done before ordering and as part of the project brief, so it can be properly discussed.

If you decide to provde the assets, you might need evalaute the time it took you to create the video and think about a price that works for you, not only for the time used; but for the complexity and ´´creative level´´ of the project.

When I used to do animated explainers (I don’t anymore) and a buyer would ask me for the source files, I’d offer to sell them at a rate of what I assumed any editing fees would be in a year…usually 5X the cost of the processed files. This either sent them running or, in the case of some, they purchased. I’d rather have the $500 - $700 today, then potential work later.
I do the same with my trailers and promos. It has turned $124 gigs into $700 gigs. I just do it as a custom order, but I might add it as an gig extra. Not a lot of non-creatives use Premier Pro/Final Cut Pro or Illustrator or Photoshop, so when they come back later asking how to convert an .ai into a jpeg or compress .mov files into an .H264 , I happily provide my non-fiverr consulting rate. I can either do it for you or allow you the files to do it for yourself, but I can’t teach you too! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like