Seller Rights When an Order is Refused?

Sorry if this is a repeat question – if so I couldn’t find it. What are our rights as sellers if an order is refused?

I recently got an order for some design work, and the buyer included almost no instructions whatsoever. I wrote back within a couple of hours asking for them, and when I received no reply I got to work on a rough outline. When the buyer eventually replied with extremely vague instructions I added everything that was requested and submitted my work.

Now, with less than a day to go on the countdown[ the buyer refused the work and wrote again requesting that I completely redo everything. Specifically, they now want a certain style they hadn’t previously mentioned.

Help? What (if any) rights do I have in this situation? Can I somehow refuse to work with this person again? I worry that if I fix the order until they think it’s perfect, they’ll view me as exploitable and order more.

luckygutsy said: Can I somehow refuse to work with this person again?

Yes, should you complete the order (either way, but this is just an example), following order complete it's totally in your right to contact the Buyer and let them know you do not wish to work with them anymore and ask them not to order from you again in the future.

luckygutsy said: I worry that if I fix the order until they think it's perfect, they'll view me as exploitable and order more.

This is a violation of Fiverr's policy. If the Buyers tried to exploit you for more work (that was not purchased) or threatens you otherwise with a bad review, screenshot the messages sent you to and report them immediately to Customer Support. That type of behavior is note tolerated here on Fiverr and the Trust & Safety team will handle the issue.

luckygutsy said: When the buyer eventually replied with extremely vague instructions I added everything that was requested and submitted my work.

From Fiverr's modification policy: "If there are issues regarding what is delivered to you based on personal taste, please address this to your seller in advanced prior to completing the order. If your seller offers revisions, please request modifications and clearly state to them what needs to be revised. If your seller doesn’t offer revisions, or mentions it in their Gig description, please revisit what materials and instructions were sent to them and communicate your concerns to them."

If the Buyer has new specs (in addition to what they originally stated prior to delivery) and you have a revision policy in place, you can request the Buyer purchase any additional or required Gigs based on these new specs. Requests for modification cannot be made based on personal taste, and it's against policy to abuse the system in an effort to gain more work (threatening with a bad review, etc.) so be sure to make the Buyer aware of any terms that may be noted in your Gig description.

With that said, is sounds like you're haven't read Fiverr's policies and I would strongly recommend you take the time to do so before work on future orders. It takes about 10 mins and will help you better understand the policies in place to protect you as well as policies in place that are there for Buyers to abide by as well. See the link for more information, http://support.fiverr.com/ and good luck! :)

Reply to @thepromogirl: Thanks for the great response! You’re right; I only skimmed the policies when I first signed up a few days ago. It’s really reassuring to know that Fiverr support is responsive to issues like this. I’ll be sure to put a more detailed revision policy on my gigs as well!

luckygutsy said: Reply to @thepromogirl: Thanks for the great response! You're right; I only skimmed the policies when I first signed up a few days ago

Anytime, and yes be sure to read up on the policies! It will save you alot of time and headache should you face a bullying Buyer. Good luck. :)

If you do not receive a reply, you may want to consider doing a mutual cancellation and not even moving forward with the work. If your gig says to contact you first, and/or they provide you with no instructions it may be better to not work on it.

BUt when they finally did send you vague instructions, how many days or hours after they purchased the gig did they send them? Also, did you write back to them asking for additional calrification?

When it comes to design gigs, not everyone even knows how to communicate what they want artistically, especially if they have never bought a logo before. Ask them to show you some they like, some they hate, get an idea for their style.

Also, you should expect to do a few revises of logos. Did you send this logo to the buyer as a completed, delivered work when there was just one day late to countdown? Or did you just message them a sample of the file to get them to approve the design?