Fiverr Community Forum

Seller wants me to complete delivery before actually delivering

Hello, I’m a new buyer on Fiverr and a week ago I placed an order for a Java code. Everything was going well, but the seller sent me a message saying that he would sent me a video and some screenshots of the code, and that once I accept the offer he would send me the code as part of the “Standard Operating Procedure prescribed by the Fiverr community.”

Is this the standard procedure? I really really need the code but I don’t want to get scammed or something alike, what should I do?

4 Likes

Hello. No, that’s not the standard procedure. Sellers are obliged to deliver the finished order. In fact, if a seller delivers only partial work or nothing at all, that’s considered a misuse of the delivery button and can and has led to warnings up to suspension of seller accounts. Some sellers send partial deliveries to “make the clock stop” to gain more time (they shouldn’t, there’s a procedure for that with which they can ask for a delivery time extension if needed), others may have had bad experiences with buyers who took their work and then tried to cancel the order, perhaps your seller has such worries, but in any case it’s neither the standard procedure nor allowed. A seller has to deliver the completed work.

From Fiverr’s Terms of Service:

• Sellers must deliver completed files and/or proof of work using the Deliver Work button (located on the Order page) according to the service that was purchased and advertised on their Gig.
  • The Deliver Work button may not be abused by Sellers to circumvent Order guidelines described in this Terms of Service. Using the “Deliver Work” button when an Order was not fulfilled may result in a cancellation of that Order after review, affect the Seller’s rating and result in a warning to Seller.
2 Likes

A seller should submit your completed purchase when delivering your order, not afterwards.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying, I understand now. But what should I do? Should I follow through his request expecting to get the code afterwards, pray not to get scammed, and then contact Fiverr support for a refund in case I do get scammed? If I confront the seller he might not want to give me the code, and I really need it as I have no time for another seller to do it again.

Of course not.

Tell him that you read fiverr TOS and it is not a “normal procedure” and it’s actually against TOS for sellers to deliver empty delivery.

Let him know that you are waiting for proper delivery and you will mark order as complete only when you see the code and if there is no changes needed.

Don’t let yourself being blackmailed because you are in a tight deadline. He has to deliver within a timeframe only if your order is open.

1 Like

Maria is right, once you accept the order/approve the final delivery, the clock stops, thus, obviously, you shouldn’t approve a delivery that isn’t the final delivery (doesn’t consist of all files that belong to the delivery). Of course, in any case, if the seller would indeed try to scam you, and not deliver anything, sure, you can and should contact support then.

If you want to know what the actual normal processes are, you can check in the Help Center, for example, you can see what happens when a seller delivers, here:

https://buyers.fiverr.com/en/article/accepting-deliveries

To accept a delivery:

1. Once logged in, click Orders .
  2. Click on the Gig title to open the order.
    Note: You can access your deliveries in a number of ways, such as within your dashboard, emails, or notifications.
  3. Within the Order page, scroll down to find the delivery message, or go to the “deliveries” tab. You will find the option to click either Yes or No to answer the question: Are you pleased with the delivery and are ready to accept it?
  4. If you are pleased, click Yes to Approve the Final Delivery . Clicking No will provide you with options on what is needed to be revised on your delivery, along with a text box to explain further.
    Note: You have the option to leave private feedback on the order.
  5. Rate your experience and leave public feedback if you wish to do so. You also have the option to complete the order and skip adding feedback.
1 Like

Do not “confront” the seller. Just say “please deliver the finished code using the delivery button, thank you.”

If they refuse or do anything other than that, request a cancellation. It’s all you can do when faced with this situation.

The fact that the seller is doing this is indicative of something being wrong. There is no reason to do what he is suggesting.

If he refuses to deliver the complete code in the normal way and also will not cancel you will need to contact customer support. Don’t get into an argument or discussion about it with the seller. Just get your money back with a cancellation.

I don’t know what he means by “once you accept the offer”. What offer? To view a video and a screenshot? What’s stopping him from simply delivering the order?

1 Like