Fiverr Forum

Sellers are following really bad advice

Thanks much for thoughtful response. Regarding understanding the gig > wrong impression - i do evaluate the gigs sufficiently well \ your examples of implicitly ‘graphics’ and ‘videos’ are not my kinds of gig purchases. What i look for is text-words-narrative as to what i’m looking for. I’m not looking for ‘standard’ [everyone does the same thing] gigs. There’s a huge difference between the ‘i can do anything’ baloney and [those very few] who actually can be specific and ‘think in relationship to what buyers actually want’. Examples = we do wordpress, photoshop, EVERYTHING. For any gig there are over a hundred that offer the same thing. Those who ‘can’t’ simply copy those who can - but those who are seeking to find the ‘real’ those who can, have no good ways to sort them out.

Another key difference of course is ‘who’s the buyer?’ Corporate buyers are just looking to fill the order for ‘help’ from someone else in the company. So they just go fast for best looking, etc. They just cya by ‘well we sent the people to you with the best (resume)’. But entrepreneurs do their buying. A whole different ballgame. And the sellers only want the big dollar company contracts. So the seller ‘advice’ of ‘choose the high priced sellers’ is really rather disingenuous and highly self-serving and not admitting to any problems at all.

I do not waste my time chatting etc. I’m looking only for ‘do they understand’ - and if they do understand are they simply looking to ‘go big’?

Thanks for the continued dialogue. Questions seeking to check understanding are not chat. Many sellers who might understand are arrogant - ‘well of course i understand (you jerk buyer) - how dare you ask me’

I’d love to see a little experiment here. I challenge any of you sellers to come up with a buyer scenario and then work it through - choose something you want to buy. I challenge you to have an ACTUAL ‘buying experience’. Log the process, eg on a sheet. I’ll bet you that you will not be able to make it work the way you ‘say’ it works. I’ll bet in fact that you can’t even describe a scenario that even theoretically works.

Thanks again.

1 Like

At least two people who responded to you in this thread, @cyaxrex and @eoinfinnegan, have already bought a lot.

5 Likes

That is also very very PROFOUND !! A reality check of the highest order. Key examples in my experience being ‘wordpress’ etc.

Many sellers, and perhaps especially the most qualified and priced, have no interest in actual problems of their clients.

Thank you !! \ This also is PERFECT example related to the title of this thread i started = Seller are following really bad advice. If sellers were ‘told’ about this attitude they’d do a lot better. At least they’d stop wasting so much time trying to fake-care. And with many of them, the fakery becomes ‘transparent’; but usually takes too long for the reality to show.

Thank you very much. YES, my process incorporates exactly that factor. I do a search and some category browsing and look for a what appear to be the best group [usually more than 80] and trying to narrow down with special terms-words usually produces ‘did not find’ anyone. Then i look for ‘online’ and send Contact to them first. Stating what i want and inviting them to let me know if they want to do it. The online numbers tend to be perhaps 10% of the results from my search. And the online sellers tend to work out better than the others. \ Thanks again.

Yes i know, i saw that. \ But [imo] they are ‘defending’ rather than being authentic. Just as you, by ignoring the rest of what i said are also ‘defending’ rather than being ‘honest’ and ‘forthcoming’.

You ‘could have’ said something like, hey yeah, i can see something in such a challenge.

Your response is an example of the lack of authenticity and lack of credibility. You’re just a defender and ‘team player’. How about actually show some leadership ? How about say something like ‘hey let’s listen to a buyer’.

Thanks for your response.

Thanks for response. I’m thinking those things make a big difference. I have the same kind of theory about different cultures. Some are basically rude, surly, others ‘entitled’, defensive, arrogant, greedy; while some others are gracious, friendly, authentic, honest, etc. Of course things vary within in any culture, but also have some ‘characteristic’ behaviors. \ I don’t see very many Europeans on fiverr. There are more Americans - many of them have ‘attitude’. also.

Totally agree that checking for attitude and fake-aptitude is a good thing. But again, that goes back to the title of this thread = Sellers are following really bad advice.

Thanks much

On Buyer Requests - and a challenge \ out of curiosity i just followed a couple of links and ended up at > https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/responding-to-buyer-requests

The ADVICE to sellers here is adequate [could be better]. BUT as i said earlier, about 1 in 20 responses to Buyer Requests have any sort of relationship to what was in the Request. Almost all of the responses are JUST-ONLY a gig. What a wasted opportunity.

Fiverr makes it very clear that buyers resort to Request when they can’t find what they want. And buyers take them seriously.

But sellers don’t.

Challenge for you defenders = post a buyer request \ post a new thread \ describe the whole process - honestly please.

Y’ll are wasting a real opportunity to learn here. What good does it do you to just defend ? How about step up and lead something ?

To those of you who have engaged with this thread in an authentic, non-defensive manner > PROPS to you; and thank you. And you are the actual ‘leaders’ here.

Why, because, based on their experiences as buyers, they believe that you’re doing something wrong when choosing sellers? Because they don’t agree with you? That’s what makes them non-authentic? Are you aware that your behavior in this thread can be easily seen as unpleasant and hostile?

Thanks for calling me dishonest.

While I agree that it can be useful for sellers to buy at least once, so they can see what the process looks like for buyers, it’s not a challenge I can participate in right now, simply because there’s nothing here that I need to buy.

I lack credibility, too. How nice of you to say that. I do hope that you don’t talk to sellers like that.

Not everyone has to be a leader.

Oh, I do listen, but since I haven’t bought anything here, I can’t say whether you’re right or wrong. People who have bought something disagree with you.

As for your topic: you say that sellers are following really bad advice (quite true, when it comes to the advice to spam the social media with their gig links, or to post on the forum just for the sake of posting or because it’s going to bring them sales), but then you proceed to say that to create an attractive gig is following bad advice. It isn’t. It’s definitely a good idea to spend some time on creating a well-written gig description, and to choose gig images and the gig video carefully. You can say that it’s not the only advice that they should follow, that they should also learn how to communicate properly and not just say “I can do that order plz”, but it still doesn’t make “take some time to create a good gig” a bad advice. If the gig looks awful (bad images, poorly written description), it’s highly unlikely to bring sales.

Anyway, the problem with giving advice to sellers is that, when it comes to the advice like “communicate properly with the potential buyers, ask them if you don’t understand something, be honest about what you can and can’t do”, sellers who would bother to read it already know it, and those who don’t know how to communicate aren’t likely to read it. I mean, there’s the part of Terms of Service (which everyone is obliged to read, though many don’t) that says that communication should be friendly and professional, and there’s also the “Best Practices for New Fiverr Sellers” article in the Help section (https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/best-practices-for-new-fiverr-sellers) that includes communication with the buyers, so it’s not like there’s no advice of that kind for sellers. The thing is, you can’t force anyone to read.

9 Likes

Sorry that it’s happening to you and I am a seller and i do sell my work here but if the project is complicated like i can’t do it or i can but not in the time frame or the budget is low then in these cases i don’t take that job.
There is another case where buyer or seller has problem explaining or understanding the project then there is that.
I din’t read all the answers so sorry if i missed anything.

A lot of new sellers come to the forum confused about why they just spent three days talking to someone they thought would be purchasing a gig from them, only to have them disappear without placing an order.

I used to discuss things for long periods of time with buyers but now there are too many who just want to waste my time without any intention of buying. It’s unfortunate it’s come to this and I blame new sellers who haven’t got a clue what they are doing, leading people to think this is something they can expect from me, namely huge amounts of time devoted to them without ordering.

6 Likes

I have done so, that after a few chat lines I have simply set up a custom order for some people and a statement, “I’m more than happy to continue this discusssion further through a gig ;)” That usually drives off the ones who are not even trying to buy something, but also gotten a few sales through that :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Now that is a great idea - thanks for it!

I do chat with buyers to make sure a) I know exactly the outcome they want and b) to build relationships … but sometimes that “I’m more than happy to continue this discussion further through a gig ;)” would be most appropriate!

2 Likes

Respectfully, how can you say that if you get only a 50% response rate and the majority are rubbish?
I have bought over 200 times here, have worked with around 80 sellers. After a handful of experiments in the beginning with sellers, I haven’t had an issue in selecting sellers in I don’t know how long.

But anyway, you seem to have an issue with people “defending sellers”. I doubt anyone here disagrees that some gigs on Fiverr are pure rubbish(*) and shouldnt be here, that many sellers have no communication skills or business acumen, and that there is a lot that could be improved.
However, when you make generalizations about all sellers then you are going to annoy or offend people as you are simply wrong to do that. Maybe it wasn’t intentional but that is what seemed to happen here - people are then defending themselves from the generalizations and so you think they are defending all sellers!
We all get that there are rubbish sellers and that having a bigger budget isn’t a guarantee but realistically, it has to give you a better chance of getting a good seller. I am speaking from the POV of someone who has bought all kinds of things with over 200 purchases and I am telling you 10 of those were bad experiences - 95% successful is probably a better hit rate than my experience with buying food in restaurants. There is clearly ways to improve your hit rate too so do listen to some of the suggestions and don’t assume they are self-interested responses. For what its worth, some of your filtering and checking of sellers would be extremely irritating to a professional seller who may then choose to not respond and block you, as they assume that you are yet another tire-kicking time vacuum.

(*)In terms of how and why there are so many rubbish sellers here; having to sort through them is the price you pay for getting significantly less than market value pricing. If Fiverr were to try filtering out the bad ones based on gig service quality then the costs would go up significantly and then the prices - check out the “vetted and verified” Pro gig prices.

12 Likes

Well it’s very true that some sellers are really following bad advice which is very discouraging to some buyers but Y’ all don’t have to talk down on the New sellers… I’ld just suggest you go for the ‘Online’ sellers, for the fact that they are new sellers doesn’t mean they can’t get the job done or they don’t understand what you want as LONG as you also are sure of what you want and you are 100% sure it can be done on a platform , as a buyer you need to be specific and explain in details what you want, avoid generic responses and go for the ones that mention the keywords in your request… THANKS

sorry have not been able to reply to all the responses \ thank you all for responding

ok example now > [1] i am about to start a new youtube channel \ have not done that in years \ and would be good if could have a seller do it
[2] start with search > youtube < = 657
[3] no category related to ‘channel’ [of course]
[4] change search to > youtube channel < = 2012
[5] try do string search > "youtube channel < = same number \ fiverr dk about string search \ and y’all are talking about …
[6] and > “create youtube channel” < = 7698 \ same as no quotes [uh d’ya think this is a really inadequate search function ?]
[7] ok - this is same sort of challenge i noted before \ you tell me what YOU would do
– Request ? as noted i have no faith in that either [expect to get about 20 or so responses \ of which only 1 will have a ‘response’ to what i requested \ the rest will just be their blurb or some ‘youtube’ gig [eg, promotion, etc]
[8] like SERIOUSLY \ how would YOU find sellers for this ?

1 Like

i have no clue why this has a different title \ i did a Reply to a specific posting

Hello, I looked at your post and have no idea what it was about. It’s very confusing. It seems to be a list of what needs to be done about your youtube channel but after that I couldn’t follow it.

4 Likes

thanks \ one of the things that had occurred in the preceding discussions was advice from folks here on how to find good sellers \ i had previously posted a ‘challenge’ [ok, ‘you’ do a ‘demo’ of how to find sellers for a job] \ this is simply my most recent attempt to find sellers \ it says =

"[1] i am about to start a new youtube channel \ have not done that in years \ and would be good if could have a seller do it "

– and then describes how i’m trying to find sellers for the gig

You want to set up a youtube channel? Like to create a login?
I presume you are looking for actual services related to creating a youtube channel rather than getting one set up for you. These related services would be Graphics, Music, Writing, Video Creation etc.

If you are hiring freelancers you need to be specific about what you want - you aren’t going to get one that does all of the above. You need to break down what you need done into the actual services it entails. You then take all the bits and pieces and put it together.

Now, for certain things you might find people who do a service which includes lots of things combined (eg, I have done Google ad campaigns for clients where I supplied artwork and other elements through outsourcing them) but really, having tried offering things like this, Fiverr isn’t really great for managing such projects. It’s messy and not something I would offer as a gig - I do things like that as a custom offer for clients I know. It’s worth noting that if you want someone to supply everything, you are going to pay a significant premium for it on top of the cost of the elements. Most people come to Fiverr for cheaper services so sellers don’t really offer those all-in-one gigs.

PS: I can nearly guarantee that if someone had a “Create Youtube Channel” gig that you would look at it and say that’s a crazy price, I can get graphics for $x, Writers for $y, that’s a ripoff price. Well the cost of saving money is that you have to do the work the coordinator would do.

Click here to see the answer I wrote on Quora to a similar question about hiring quality sellers

This is an excellent question and one that too few Fiverr buyers actually ask! Many simply order from the first seller they see and then wonder why they had a problem. Hiring a freelancer is easy but having a particularly good experience is not just a case of hiring a freelancer, on any platform. This is why agencies and middle-men exist.

To go directly to a freelancer yourself you need to be prepared to replace the middleman and do some work. If you are not prepared to do this then go to an agency instead!

Although I am a seller, I have also bought 125 times from approx 40 different sellers for a variety of services. Out of those, I have had 4 negative experiences, or actually just not positive experiences. 1 cancelled, 1 could not deliver on time, 2 delivered work that was outstandingly awful. In each of those, I received a refund. Every other experience was positive and this is not by accident or good luck. I could write pages in response to this but I will keep it to a few points.

I choose to have a mentality that leads to successful experiences on Fiverr.

Be Prepared

Buyers who do not know what they want are a nightmare. Would you believe some buyers will ask for a website, blog post, logo etc and give 1 or 2 short sentences as instructions? It’s true! How can a seller deliver what the buyer wants if the buyer does not tell them? You can almost never give too many instructions, but you must give them at the beginning, not after the seller has delivered. Sure, you can ask for modifications at the end - slight adjustments - not new concepts that you never mentioned before. Also, give as much time as possible, some of the best sellers have long delivery times. This also gives you the best chance of lower prices too.

Searching for Sellers

Using the Fiverr search and filters is straight forward and self explanatory. However, searching for quality takes some time. Check reviews (use the filter to check negative reviews). Check portfolios where possible. Check exactly what the gig description says, if it does not deliver exactly what you are looking for then contact the seller first. If your project is big, with a value of $100+ then I suggest doing a trial order with 3 or 4 sellers. For example, for website content. Place an order with 4 sellers you like the look of having checked their reviews and give them the same instructions. With most sellers, you will get between 100–600 words for $5. That’s a huge variation, how much will you save if you go for the cheapest, is the most expensive one worth the extra money? A paid sample of their work will answer those questions for you. Every seller’s work is individual and the result can be subjective. You may like the cheapest guy’s work best - lucky you!

Be prepared to work with the seller

You are hiring a freelancer, not buying from a vending machine. Having given all the information you can, be available to answer questions, approve drafts etc. The Fiverr app is excellent for this. It is one of the few apps that only sends you relevant notifications! Sometimes a quick Q and A through the app can make all the difference in the result and the time spent on an order.

You don’t like what you got? Don’t threaten a negative review, don’t ask for a cancellation - talk to the seller. Give detailed, relevant feedback and ask them to change it. I had a buyer who wanted a cancellation yesterday because he said my translation was not accurate and the grammar was terrible. I asked him to send me some examples of what he meant and he did. Having looked at it, there were no grammatical errors and the translations were accurate. Not being a native English speaker, he was going on what he “felt” was wrong. By giving feedback to me it meant I could assure him of the quality so he was happy to use it. It should be a team effort where everyone goes away satisfied.

Give the opportunity to change/fix errors without any penalty.

Having the mentality of working with a seller means that you should allow for little errors, as is normal in any workplace. Excessively complaining about little details in a big job is extremely annoying for sellers. Sure, these need to be fixed but just say so rather than threatening, whining or cancelling!

Be generous

My Fiverr rate is approx 33–50% less than what I charge on other freelance sites and my own website. The quality of work is the same. Most people on Fiverr have similar pricing structures. 20% of the fee goes to Fiverr. With the above in mind, if the seller does a good job, give an appropriate tip, I recommend a min. of $5 or 20%. This also makes the seller more keen to work with you in the future.

6 Likes