Fiverr Forum

Sellers lying about their locations

I dont know if other buyers have noticed, but I have done my best to buy gigs from Americans. But it seems twice they have lied on their profiles. The reason I say they lied, was because they had terrible communication(grammatically and spelling). Also when I bought another gig from another to have a business card designed, the seller wrote the address with no spaces after the comma and after “Dr.Suite108” “Houston,TX77034” I’m positive no American would write or type an address like that. Just beware and I hope Fiverr does something to actually verify the sellers location.

Reply to @kjblynx: Well said!

Maybe they are using some kind of a proxy to change their location.

Reply to @kjblynx: I could not agree more with you. I happen to have a long time internet friend who is a native speaker of English, and who consistently writes ‘dosen’t’ instead of 'doesn’t. And, she holds a bachelor degree, and she claims to be a good speller!

Reply to @kjblynx: Indeed! I did quite a lot of writing for native English speakers, and I’m from Sweden. Sometimes (and by that I mean most of the times) it’s not enough to just wave a flag around.

I see many buyers choose who to make business on Fiverr based on the flag. I understand the reasoning behind it, but is it a healthy attitude? Would you feel better if a Danish person who studied English wrote you a perfect article, or if a native speaker who does tons of mistakes does the (poor) job?

I think the best to make a decision is after you’ve seen a sample of writing. If that’s not an option, talk to them a bit and see how they spell/form their sentences.

Well, you kinda have to wonder about it when you see a seller’s US flag and their profile says they live in Sri Lanka. I’ve seen it.

It’s possible that they used a proxy/VPN based in the US while opening their account, however, it’s also possible that they didn’t pay enough attention at school. :slight_smile:

I really don’t mind where in the world someone lives but if I want a gig doing, where writing is necessary, I would disregard someone with broken English.If it was a graphic design gig etc, I would not mind so much.

I write on other sites and I know of Americans that live in Thailand, Philippines and also UK writers. They move there because living is cheap whilst the surroundings are beautiful. They can afford a better living because of their self employed status with good English, many online teachers, as well as their writing.

I understand your frustration though. If you are not happy with what you received I would try and work it out with your seller, they may be willing to correct their mistake.

Clear instructions also help a seller, so format would be a good instruction if you have a specific layout in mind.

Emma.

Well said kjblynx. The fact that one resides in the US does not give that person a100% in writing English language without grammatical errors. There are even folks staying outside America that are very fluent in writing English language without errors than those of us residing here in America.

So please let’s not be quick to judge, because I know of a friend I just met a few months back who moved from Russia to America and her English speaking and writing is very poor.

Now the question is, if such a folk now decides to do business on fiverr offering a particular service, would you just conclude that she’s not living in America or that she is using some proxy to hide her location?

Reply to @kjblynx: Well said. The fact that one resides in the US does not give that person a100% in writing English language without grammatical errors. There are even folks staying outside America that are very fluent in writing English language without errors than those of us residing here in America.

So please let’s not be quick to judge, because I know of a friend I just met a few months back who moved from Russia to America and her English speaking and writing is very poor.

Now the question is, if such a folk now decides to do business on fiverr offering a particular service, would you just conclude that she’s not living in America or that she is using some proxy to hide her location?

some people are not good with grammar but deliver great work so don’t judge. Myself included , i’m not from america nor i speak/write 100% perfect english because my main lang is spanish , but there are some of us who tried to engage on the best communication with the buyers. So im sure you have encountered one immigrant living in the US.

Proxies can help so much to fool the fiverr system , but i dont think anyone will benefit from it.

I dont really care where you are located, if you can deliver an awesome gig i will be happy. Why would i care where the seller is located?

I found it fun to buy gigs from all over the world, yes the experience can depend on the communication but i had no trouble communicating with people outside the US.

<3 Biancha

can’t agree less, but its also possible that most folks don’t read anymore that is we spend more time on blackberry/android and most often do a lot of abbreviations that has really eaten deep into our composition and sentence constructions.