Fiverr Forum

Sellers making prices that are not in their gig

Hello
I’m new here and want some advice. I also hope this is the right forum for this. Having seen gigs from sellers and what they entail for a certain price, I message them with my requirements that fall within a certain gig price. Then they make a new price which is always different (higher) than their gigs. Is that legal and if so how do I pay them since that new price is not part of the gig price that I can buy by clicking that price’s button.

Hope you see what I’m saying.

5 Likes

Hi there, I am a seller(new) on this platform. I got what you are saying.
The order is called a custom order. This type of order is created by the seller(where they can put a custom price) in scenarios where your requirements don’t fit exactly as per what offered in the gig.
Hope it helps.
:+1:

4 Likes

Though if everything you want does fall within their actual gig/package price (as described in their gig/package descriptions etc) and they’re only offering you a higher price than that (for a custom offer) you could say that what it shows on their gig is lower and ask them why they’re quoting you a higher price. They shouldn’t be if everything you describe is shown as being included in the gig/package. You could go with another seller if they do something like that.

It’s probably false advertising or something like that if they won’t do what they advertise they will for the price shown.

4 Likes

I’ve done that. If buyers are too lazy to read my gig and order, and I have to respond and create an offer, then they’re paying more.

3 Likes

Now that is a bold! - And brilliant! I might start doing the same.

As far as sellers upping prices, there are several reasons why this might be the case. Some sellers will attempt to hike prices just for the sake of making more $$$'s. However, it is often the case that a buyer doesn’t realize that their brief goes beyond the scope of what is included in a particular gig price.

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple clients here and there that aren’t sure if they need to purchase an extra, or are confused about word counts, time frames etc. It’s not malicious, they just need help setting up an order. Would you also charge extra in that situation? (Genuinely asking, not arguing lol)

1 Like

No, I’d just redirect them to my gig. I’m talking about people who send me a message where they obviously haven’t even read my gig.

“Hi, how much would it be for a 400 word cat article?”

It’s right there on my gig. LOL

1 Like

Lazy is a blanket statement and suggests impatient disregard on your part. A new buyer may have issues with the briefs and need a few days to get used to the details of the offers. Don’t forget you also have folks speaking different languages here (buyers and sellers). How about the customer being always right? (although I don’t necessarily subscribe to it). I personally feel that this statement is directed at me…and all buyers in my boots still feeling this place around. Although I am beginning now to get the flow.

Thanks for the feedback all. I am now quite a bit more educated on the ins and outs of ordering gigs here, having bought some and special offers as well. I now fully comprehend from experience what I was asking. Thanks.

2 Likes

There is no grey area in a scope of words per package, as in @meldawn9’s example. The packages say that outright. She’s not referring to cases where the scope of the buyer’s need differs from what is included in the package or variations to the scope that the seller hasn’t explained. She’s referring to queries about a scope that are answered in the package in black in white.

It is indeed lazy and disrespectful to ask a seller a question that has already been answered.

“What happened to the customer is always right?” That doesn’t mean customers get to misuse sellers’ time. We aren’t anyone’s assistant.

2 Likes

There seems to be an idea that buyers of freelance services online don’t have to take any of the same responsibility when making a purchase as they would in the real world.

I get your point that some buyers might need extra assistance. However, in many cases, extra assistance is only required because a potential buyer hasn’t taken the time to read a gig description.

Think of it this way. Imagine you are hungry and stood in a queue of people being served at a busy fast-food counter. There is a menu board on display clearly showing that a burger costs $5, a cheeseburger costs $7, and a chicken sandwich cost $8. Seeing that, would you consider it reasonable to keep cutting to the head of the line to ask things like, "do you do fish and chips," or "how much is a cheeseburger," or "can I have a discount?"

Most likely, you would not do the above. You know that this would annoy the people waiting to be served ahead of you and would be a waste of everyone’s time.

This might seem like a poor analogy. However, this is what a lot of people on Fiverr do when they message sellers. They ask sellers to basically repeat everything that is already stated clearly in gig descriptions, and that is lazy and inconsiderate. Usually, those people are also the least likely to order and the most likely to ask for a discount.

This is an out of date customer service buzzword which rarely if ever applies either online or in the real world. You are also not a customer unless you do actually buy something.

6 Likes

I like your analogy! It’s appropriate because you’re illustrating how unnecessary it is and the impact this has on staff and other customers.

“Customer is always right” was just a free pass to let customers mistreat staff. It’s a tool of entitlement, not good business. As you say, it doesn’t hold water and isn’t even applicable to this case. None of us has to tolerate our time being monopolized for no reason.

1 Like

Even those who go by the customer is always right generally don’t do so because they genuinely believe it, it’s a way of operating and approaching issues.

It’s the business’s decision to take that approach and isn’t something that should be universally expected and certainly not demanded by a customer (or inquirer).

3 Likes

I can’t say I know why they do it but if you dislike that then there are a lot of other sellers to try. Or you could always simply place a regular order on their gig page.

Maybe they are including some extras on the custom order that you hadn’t considered.

Honestly, if someone doesn’t understand what my gigs say, I probably don’t want to do business with them. For example, I wrote an article for someone overseas. They accepted the order but gave me a bad rating, saying they didn’t understand it. I’m like what the? They didn’t tell me they wanted Grade 1 English! LOL (Which I could have done, if they wanted.)

6 Likes

Every day I get messages from people asking if I will cast spells that have nothing to do with my gigs. It’s been going on for months and is not historically what has happened. I don’t know what changed.

Exactly right. The more messages they send the less likely they will order. One or two questions is ok. Today someone asked me six rapid fire questions in a row which I answered and then told him that the limit for questions had been reached. That was met with an insult. I’m really not willing to answer that many questions again ever. From now on it’s two at the most.