Fiverr Community Forum

Sellers Pretending to be from the US!

I’m getting so fed up with Fiverr, and I don’t even use it that much. I’ve spent the past day trying to find a native English speaking person from the US, and whilst I have of course found some, I’ve had to wade through innumerable people pretending to be people they aren’t.

Generally it’s someone from an unknown country, with a photo of a girl (or guy, but usually girls - clicks, I guess), that has their location as “US” and language as “English - Native”. A simple conversation with these people quickly reveals that their English is far from native, and upon further investigation or a reverse image search, the image isn’t really them.

I feel like they’d have more luck if they were just honest. But I dunno. Just used up so much energy with this nonsense.

Any recommendations for sites that are like Fiverr but don’t have so much of this?

Thanks for listening to me rant…

14 Likes

Good luck.

Welcome to the world of freelancing on the internet.

You’ll find this probably anywhere you go.

It’s annoying, for sure.

But don’t forget that Fiverr also has countless professionals here as well.

EDIT: Plus, Fiverr screens new accounts asking users to verify their identity.

8 Likes

Yikes. I’d say ‘welcome to the Fiverr forums’, but with a first-post like that and a clear intention of leaving, maybe ‘so long and thanks for all the fish’ would be more appropriate.

I’m not sure if there’s a ‘better’ platform, especially since I don’t know the kind of work you’re looking for. Specialization, maybe, rather than a general-work site.

10 Likes

It’s reasons like this that I wish Fiverr would require people to prove they have those characteristics. For example, not allowing people to show what country they are from on their profile until they show their ID. Or requiring sellers to take the English comprehension test before they can put “Native” on their profile.
Edit: Also, if they have a picture of themselves on their profile, they have to prove it’s them via ID.

7 Likes

Oh really? That’s interesting I didn’t know that. So, does that mean if I search by “new arrivals” I’m more likely to find genuine people? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably.

I’ve been here 5 years and I have seen a huge increase of what I would call unskilled newbies joining this platform in the past year due partly to COVID.

You have to remember also that in the United States (and Canada - where I am) there is a huge cultural mixing pot of nationalities who exist within our Borders.

It’s the reality of the times we live in.

7 Likes

It also depends on what service you’re looking for.

5 Likes

Yeah that sounds sensible and like it would filter this stuff out! ID verification seems to be the key but according to looseink above new accounts have to do that so :man_shrugging: I’m going to do a new search now and check “new arrivals” and see how that goes. :blush:

4 Likes

They do have to do that, but they can still put down another country when they sign up for whatever reason…
That may work, but “New Arrivals” also tend to be unverified (not to go against looseink, he gives awesome advice, but I think he may have misunderstood your question). Those are the ones without reviews, and oftentimes without a verified ID. If you find any good ones, awesome! But typically, the better ones are Level 2 sellers/Top Rated, and if you’re willing to spend extra, Pro Sellers.

11 Likes

Check this topic out: How to Avoid the Problem of Bad Sellers

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, have you tried the Buyer’s Request option? It has a LOT of problems, but can help, depending on the service you’re looking for and how well you build your brief.

(Do not use it to look for logos.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

My understanding was that all accounts required ID verification.

2 Likes

They do, but only after you deliver your first order for whatever reason (at least in my case).

6 Likes

Same here. I wasn’t asked to verify until after my first order.

It’s one of the big complaints, and one of those ‘barrier’s to entry’ that would probably help the platform, but make it less accessible. (And Fiverr seems to be all about getting people to sign up.)

1 Like

There are people that aren’t from the US, but managed to study and eventually reach the Native level of speaking. However, I do agree that there are many just using a VPN with the idea of showing they are from the US. Either that, or they pay a US resident to record a video for them.

This is very common especially when it comes to writing. It is what it is…

1 Like

I thought it would be more challenging to fake a US account since all US accounts now must fill out a 1099 Form or Fiverr will close their accounts. However, the whole of the US is not made up of native English speakers. :confused:

Language teacher here. Testing would have to be incredibly extensive to prove “native” language levels. They’d have to do something akin to the Cambridge C2 Proficiency test and I doubt Fiverr would be willing to have a whole department dedicated to that. Plus, it would raise a ton of questions about their authority on what makes a person a “native” language user.

Edit: I just want to add that I’ve had students pass the C2 exam with flying colors. Still, by speaking to them, you can tell they’re not from an English-speaking country. Some people take “native” to mean one sounds like they’re from US/UK/Australia/etc.

I put “native” in quotation marks because this is a term that’s open to interpretation. I have dual nationality and speak two languages “natively” in the sense that I can converse, work and sound like a person from both of my countries of origin. On the other hand, you have my spouse who isn’t from an English speaking country. They can converse and work as well as any person from the UK or US but they don’t sound like a person born-and-bred in an English-speaking country. Does that bar them from the term “native”? In some respects it does while in others it’s a grey area.

The short of it is that there are problems with the term Native and its use on the platform is misleading.

1 Like

We’re not allowed to recommend other platforms on Fiverr’s forum.

Were you looking for those who offer $5 services, or charge way too little for the scope of work you need done?

2 Likes

I actually wasn’t, just a general search. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I definitely understand where you’re coming from! The issue is that there are a lot of people who say they’re native but in reality hardly have a basic understanding. Even if they’re not native, for the very least, they will be proficient enough to do the tasks their clients need.

2 Likes