Fiverr Community Forum

Sellers who try to bribe you to remove bad feedback

This is a problem that I’ve noticed more and more often: Sellers with lots of positive ratings, that fail to deliver or when you order it turns out to be something fraudulent. Naturally I give them bad feedback, and they come back, offering free gigs, etc. if you remove the negative feedback. And that’s why they have loads of positive ratings and no negative ratings.

I think if we allow this we are letting the feedback system become worthless and allowing bad sellers to keep running scams here.

I don’t see it as bribing… I see it as trying to satisfy customers.

If a customer is unhappy and decides to leave a negative feedback, I think it is appropriate for a seller to try and do something to make it up and satisfy their customer. Whether it is redoing the order, offering a refund, whatever it may be.

If the customer is then satisfied, then all is well, and they SHOULD change their feedback. It’s the right thing to do.

I don’t see this as a problem at all.

It becomes a problem when:

• Sellers intentionally give a service that doesn’t work, in the knowledge that they can simply “buy back” the negative feedback they will inevitably receive
  • Sellers set a precedent for opportunist buyers who have learned to use bad feedback as a tool for getting free stuff.

How do they buy it back if their service doesn’t work to begin with? I can’t imagine a seller doing a bad job knowing they can buy a good rating. Why go to the trouble. Just do it right the first time.

It is assumed they do a good job as part of the buy back scheme, that is twice the work for the same money. I don’t follow the logic. If the buyer is happy with what is offered then they should leave a positive review. Buyers are “bribed” all the time, coupons, sales events and so on.

I always offer to write free articles if somebody leaves negative for late delivery. Nobody has EVER taken me up on that offer :confused:

I’m not sure why they don’t just offer the ‘free stuff’ as the actual gig? It doesn’t seem to make any sense.

I wouldn’t call it bribing either, as stated above.

It’s just good business and 95% of all companies do it. It’s called the “100% satisfaction money back guarantee”.

At the end of the day, it’s still up to the buyer what happens. If the buyer thinks the gig was really bad they simply reject it or/and leave bad feedback.

Reply to @madmoo: As a buyer, if I have to go back and forth writing several emails to get a $5 gig done, the time cost exceeds $5 so I would rather cut my losses and leave.

xanderthegreat said: Naturally I give them bad feedback

Dude you will understand how they feel ones they order your gig and give you a Negative Feedback. If you do not like them, just msg them and tell them to edit it. At least give them one chance to fix it.

Madmoo has a great point - if you bought something and are unhappy, why not ask them to fix it before rating them poorly? Maybe there was a communication problem.

If a gig is actually fraudulent and you have evidence of this, you should report it to fiverr. I’m quite sure they don’t want scammers, spammers and frauds bringing down the reputation of the site.

But if someone does the work (genuine work) and you’re not happy with it, offering you fixes is part of providing good customer service. If you buy a t-shirt and the seam rips, then the shop offers you a replacement or refund, that’s good service. The shop are out two t-shirts, but their main concern is your satisfaction.

If you buy, say, a video or piece of written work on fiverr and are unsatisfied, and the seller offers to remake it or refund you, that is also good customer service. The seller is out not only the time of emailing back and forth as you are, but also the time and resources involved in making the piece of work for you, possibly more than once if they remade it.

Of course, if someone sells you poor work and then doesn’t try, refuses, or just goes silent when you asked for it to be fixed, then negative-feedback-ahoy!

Well I have two points of view.

As a seller, I do tell all my buyers to message me and let’s talk about why they are not satisfied. I work for $4 an hour and I take very much care with what I do. If you think it’s a waste of time to COMMUNICATE with your seller then is it really the sellers fault?

As a buyer, I bought a reiki gig because I was suspicious that someone had wished bad things towards me and I felt a bad energy lingering and following me. I ordered a gig that specified the seller will remove a curse casted. Okay. I bought it. He messages me 8 things which are clearly copy and pasted and I have no idea how it relates to the gig at all. He was telling me about all these things I should buy to better my life like stones and incenses. No, I just want you to remove the curse. He then tells me that he is not psychic and does not have the ability to see curses or deal with him. He just advises people how to bring positive energy and karma. I copy and pasted his gig description and said “huh??” He acknowledged that he may have been gray in his gig description and offered me a mutual cancellation because he did not intend to mislead me. I agreed as I did not believe he was trying to scam me. He had wonderful reviews and it was just a miscommunication between us.

First World Problem People Order without Studying a gig, reading description waching previous feedback works samples overall ratings and then order. and if seller don’t follow his/her own rules then either ask him to satisfy you before you put your negative feedback, and your satisfaction will be limited to GIG Description and what was written in it not beyond that. The thing is it is a good symbol for buyer that someone is trying to compensate with you.

I agree on most cases, especially when the work delivered is something subjective like a logo or voice over work, but when it comes other examples I disagree. For example, I purchase gigs for article writing, and look for descriptions that say “100% Copyscape pass” and “not spun content” “100% unique content”.

The work is delivered. I run it through Copyscape. It is not 100%. I include that in my review. If your gig says “100% Copyscape pass” then you should check that before delivering the work and make sure it meets your gig description. Of course the seller offers to fix it, but it’s it’s a guaranteed 100%. It is or it isn’t.

In my review I also include the context of the duplication. Was it just a partial sentence or two? Was it a full rewritten sentence, or a few of them? Does it look like spun content? Did the seller have good communication? Did he/she offer to fix it for me? Was it delivered on time? Was it readable? I try to be fair and be aware that my review will influence future buyers, but if your gig doesn’t meet your description, then it just doesn’t.

In another instance, I did buy a gig from a logo designer and I flat out said “this is a meditation blog but I do not want a person sitting and meditating because it’s very overused.” Guess what I got? A person sitting and meditating. When I messaged him and asked if he’d missed my message, he was furious, messaged me back in all caps with a lot of exclamation marks and told me that if I left anything but 100% positive feedback that he would leave terrible feedback for me as well. I accepted his offer to cancel the gig. However, if he had said “Oh sorry, I missed your message! Let me fix that for you!” I would have been perfectly pleased with that.

I can see both sides. Not all buyers are out to scam you guys, just like I’m sure not all sellers are out to scam us buyers.

Reply to @prohelper27: Yeah 1000s of sellers do this and its backed by fiverr customer support (I think it should be called seller support) too. I have noticed loads of Top Rated Sellers with 100% positive gigs… which is strange as Ive left 1 star reviews after a poor service and then a couple of days later its been removed by customer service.

Other sellers offer to cancel the gig when negative feedback is received, which then removes the negative feedback. Sounds good? Maybe, but then other buyers at not aware that that seller is providing a poor service.

Ive asked customer support about these dodgy practises but never had a response. Im not a legal expert in the US but I image its unlawful. I know it certainly is in the UK.

Reply to @bachas85: Awful isn’t it. Its sad that customer support is aware of these and lets it happen.

Reply to @ghostblogger: because 99% of buyers on fiverr are total idiots. Not been nasty, its just a true fact. They receive (say) fake followers on twitter and don’t even realise it, so they leave positive feedback. 500 idiots later and the seller as 500 positive reviews. With the 1% of buyers who can tell they are fake followers the seller offers them a cancel, which refunds the money and removes the negative review.

Reply to @madmoo: no, buyers (in an ideal world) should leave negative feedback and lose out on their $5. But, buyers care more about $5 than fiverr.com!

Reply to @bigbadbilly: but offering the 100% money back guarantee should not prevent a buyer from leaving negative feedback. That’s were this system does not work. Its plain and simple - they seller is paying the buyer $5 in order to remove the feedback … which is unlawful… I seem to remember a case in the US where a dry cleaner (in new York?) was procecuted for this practise…?? Am I write on this??

Reply to @mrspanda: Whats the point communicating with a seller who as defrauded you out of your hard earned money by selling you fake followers on twitter? :confused: