Sending Audio Samples

alyanna_s

I hope this buyer has actually placed an order with you and that this is not a case of “I’d like to hear your work before placing an order.”

You could add a repetitive noise or constant hum to the sample so that it can’t really be used on it’s own.

They have not yet placed an order, but aren’t asking for a sample.

Smart, thanks!

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

3. Know your value

Fiverr’s services start at $5.00. Although it can be tempting to offer promotions or discounts so that the orders will start rolling in, offering your work for free is not a recommended approach to connect with buyers. It is important to set your potential buyer’s expectation that your work can’t be obtained for free. It’s essential to know your worth as a seller and not to compromise it in order to attempt attracting buyers.

source: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010949038-4-Things-to-Do-Before-Creating-Your-Gig?segment=seller

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

3. Know your value

Fiverr’s services start at $5.00. Although it can be tempting to offer promotions or discounts so that the orders will start rolling in, offering your work for free is not a recommended approach to connect with buyers. It is important to set your potential buyer’s expectation that your work can’t be obtained for free. It’s essential to know your worth as a seller and not to compromise it in order to attempt attracting buyers.

source: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010949038-4-Things-to-Do-Before-Creating-Your-Gig?segment=seller

Thank you! Will read.

Agreed, please do not encourage the idea that as sellers, we have nothing better to be doing with our lives than making unpaid demos and test work for possible jobs. It is very unprofessional and bounces back on us all. I have done it and never walked away with work.

If you do not have a Portfolio that shows your Range adequately, that is a thing to address. If you can’t show all of your Range with client work (which can be hard) make or collate work that does show what you can deliver and show only that.

This shows both for me but I do also have another Playlist that is only the Range material:

As for sharing work, mp3 with an audio watermark is common. Do not remove the watermark for any amount of crying. Also, try to only send a bit of the work so it cannot be used.

🙂

Agreed, please do not encourage the idea that as sellers, we have nothing better to be doing with our lives than making unpaid demos and test work for possible jobs. It is very unprofessional and bounces back on us all. I have done it and never walked away with work.

If you do not have a Portfolio that shows your Range adequately, that is a thing to address. If you can’t show all of your Range with client work (which can be hard) make or collate work that does show what you can deliver and show only that.

This shows both for me but I do also have another Playlist that is only the Range material:

As for sharing work, mp3 with an audio watermark is common. Do not remove the watermark for any amount of crying. Also, try to only send a bit of the work so it cannot be used.

🙂

Noted, thank you for the advice!

I wasn’t really referring to sending files for the portfolio, but rather, the file I’ll send them initially (for their order) in case they’ll want a revision - I’ve read way to many stories about buyers running away with the file and then ordering a revision so they won’t have to pay, so I wanna take precautions lol (unless it’s not allowed…?)

I wasn’t really referring to sending files for the portfolio, but rather, the file I’ll send them initially (for their order) in case they’ll want a revision - I’ve read way to many stories about buyers running away with the file and then ordering a revision so they won’t have to pay, so I wanna take precautions lol (unless it’s not allowed…?)

Oof.

For an order delivery, buyers expect a finalized piece of work and may very well become ticked off if they received a watermarked file for what they assumed would be the completed order.

Sending a non-watermarked version only after the buyer gives their okay is a very iffy process, and I think it might result in negative reviews from buyers who think you swindled them in the end and didn’t understand the procedure.

Oof.

For an order delivery, buyers expect a finalized piece of work and may very well become ticked off if they received a watermarked file for what they assumed would be the completed order.

Sending a non-watermarked version only after the buyer gives their okay is a very iffy process, and I think it might result in negative reviews from buyers who think you swindled them in the end and didn’t understand the procedure.

I’ll inform them beforehand, and just tell them it’s to protect my work lol

Maybe I need to rethink this…xD

I just want a way to protect the work and make sure they don’t just run away without paying, and this is the only thing I could think of (because I think that in visual design, some sellers do this).

I could explain it well…? lol idk at this point 😛

I’ll inform them beforehand, and just tell them it’s to protect my work lol

Maybe I need to rethink this…xD

I just want a way to protect the work and make sure they don’t just run away without paying, and this is the only thing I could think of (because I think that in visual design, some sellers do this).

I could explain it well…? lol idk at this point 😛

The issue is, no matter how well you explain something, there will be buyers who can’t/won’t understand and will severely complicate things.

There are thoughtful buyers who diligently read through a gig, FAQs, and order requirements, and then there are buyers who blaze through, barely reading anything at all, don’t communicate, and expect a finished product at the end.

Ok, clarification in hand that this is about asking for feedback within a job.

I do not show work until I Deliver. This Delivery has to be the real thing and we have to trust that seeing it is a Delivery that it will be respected. I do not show in advance unless that is part of the contract - and covered by Milestones that sign off and pay - or you will find the client is suddenly likely to start to micro-manage. Not all but you will not like it when it happens: Oh move that piano, two ticks to the left, oh no, move it back, but make it a harpsichord, no that’s not a harpsichord, l meant a Supersaw…

Safer to show finished work with a yes/no answer as more often than not, the buyer is not paying for the time for you to jack about like a fish out of water. Give them a result which should be yes if you have had the right conversation at the start and noted any red flags.

For this to work you need a clear Brief and to have spoken about desires and the direction you are likely to take BEFORE hiring occurs. A thorough Requirements Form helps a lot too.

If you think they are gonna run with it. put it on YouTube instantly an an Unlisted thing which gives you primacy of time and that you can produce the DAW file and history that they did not pay lets you bury them if they get sneaky.

🙂

The issue is, no matter how well you explain something, there will be buyers who can’t/won’t understand and will severely complicate things.

There are thoughtful buyers who diligently read through a gig, FAQs, and order requirements, and then there are buyers who blaze through, barely reading anything at all, don’t communicate, and expect a finished product at the end.

True. I think that buyers like that are inevitable - there’s no way to make this effective and beneficial for both buyer and seller… 😕

Ok, clarification in hand that this is about asking for feedback within a job.

I do not show work until I Deliver. This Delivery has to be the real thing and we have to trust that seeing it is a Delivery that it will be respected. I do not show in advance unless that is part of the contract - and covered by Milestones that sign off and pay - or you will find the client is suddenly likely to start to micro-manage. Not all but you will not like it when it happens: Oh move that piano, two ticks to the left, oh no, move it back, but make it a harpsichord, no that’s not a harpsichord, l meant a Supersaw…

Safer to show finished work with a yes/no answer as more often than not, the buyer is not paying for the time for you to jack about like a fish out of water. Give them a result which should be yes if you have had the right conversation at the start and noted any red flags.

For this to work you need a clear Brief and to have spoken about desires and the direction you are likely to take BEFORE hiring occurs. A thorough Requirements Form helps a lot too.

If you think they are gonna run with it. put it on YouTube instantly an an Unlisted thing which gives you primacy of time and that you can produce the DAW file and history that they did not pay lets you bury them if they get sneaky.

🙂

Thank you for your advice! Very helpful!

Hi there!
Workaholic night owl here. Perpetually hunched over my phone, hawking over the forums like some demented virtual batman, waiting at the beck and call of potential late snacks… preferably of the chocolate variety (it’s all part of my new diet “Mooch’s Patented Try Sugar!”) Never logging off of some toss away, clinical psycho babble podcast. Always being agreeable to suggest disagreeable things in the forum (for science sake).

It sounds like the issue is good, old fashioned qualifying questions.

You might ask yourself, “what is a qualifying question?”

Well, a qualifying question is a weapon used by salespeople to do a dirty, horrible, no good, scummy trick that invades the privacy of your brain and extracts your most personal and guarded information. That trick is called: selling the customer what they really want.

Most of the trial and error in a freelance market place is in regards to communication.

Let’s assume that you’re extremely proficient at the services you offer. Let’s suggest that you’re a qualified professional and that your mastery of these skills is the very motive that drove you to sell your skills to folks in an online environment. Then, your biggest problem would be isolating the wants of your consumer and crystallizing their concepts into a completed offering. Well, this is tricky business.

At the point of completion, there shouldn’t be any reason to believe the customer would ask for changes. You should feel utter astonishment if the customer asks for a revision. You should receive the concept of a revision with the same puzzled bewilderment that you’d get from a two headed Julia Roberts asking you to realize that she’s “just a two headed girl, standing in front of you, asking you to love her.”

This is why we qualify. Ask. Ask again. Ask some more.

The difference between a professional and a part timer is the questions that a professional knows to ask. Strip away every last fabric of confusion even if it makes you feel embarrassed.

Here’s a good example:

I once had a potential client who came to me with a huge order. Gigantic. They needed 20 songs at my premium rate with extras and session work added.

My first question was, “How will this material be used?”

That alone is going to dictate who I’m speaking to. Who is the receiver of this message that I’m writing. And that will answer all sorts of questions regarding demographics, preferences, subject matter and so on.

The client says, “what I do with the material is my business. You work for me.”

I declined the order. After a lengthy scolding about freelance translating to working for myself, her consideration for the language she used towards sellers and a scathing review of her pseudo abilities, I went on.

A few weeks later she was passing out bad reviews like notes in class. How could she not? She wasn’t going to receive a great result because there wasn’t enough information to provide it. No one in that scenario could guarantee they would be delivered comfort. It wasn’t working together - it was working against a clock. You don’t work for a clock. You work with a client, for yourself, to achieve an amazing and mutually beneficial outcome. Then you do it again.

Ask more questions.

You shouldn’t feel that you need to be sending examples, samples, approved steps without compensation and you should never second guess the job. Ask before the job. Until there’s nothing else you could possibly know to ensure that you can provide the exact delivery that the client wants.

And if you can’t feel completely sure, don’t take the job.

All of my audio files are marked with an audio watermark, which I just remove for final delivery. The customer must listen to the entire audio (with the audio watermark) and confirm that they like it. I then deliver the final version (without the audio watermark) and indicate that there will be no revision. Yes yes 0 revisions for me.

This is stated in the gig description, the FAQ, and in the order requirements the customer must answer “Yes” to this question: "You must listen to your entire audio and confirm that you like it because there will be no revision "…

Those who do not agree with these terms will not order and that is fine.

I wasn’t really referring to sending files for the portfolio, but rather, the file I’ll send them initially (for their order) in case they’ll want a revision

You absolutely must send the final mix with no watermarks when delivering your order (otherwise it will be a breach of the terms of conditions). But up until this point, if you must send work for approval, then watermark it and be very strict about this to ensure the buyer can’t cut useable bits from your work.

I wasn’t really referring to sending files for the portfolio, but rather, the file I’ll send them initially (for their order) in case they’ll want a revision

You absolutely must send the final mix with no watermarks when delivering your order (otherwise it will be a breach of the terms of conditions). But up until this point, if you must send work for approval, then watermark it and be very strict about this to ensure the buyer can’t cut useable bits from your work.

Yes, that’s what I mean.

Hi there!

Workaholic night owl here. Perpetually hunched over my phone, hawking over the forums like some demented virtual batman, waiting at the beck and call of potential late snacks… preferably of the chocolate variety (it’s all part of my new diet “Mooch’s Patented Try Sugar!”) Never logging off of some toss away, clinical psycho babble podcast. Always being agreeable to suggest disagreeable things in the forum (for science sake).

It sounds like the issue is good, old fashioned qualifying questions.

You might ask yourself, “what is a qualifying question?”

Well, a qualifying question is a weapon used by salespeople to do a dirty, horrible, no good, scummy trick that invades the privacy of your brain and extracts your most personal and guarded information. That trick is called: selling the customer what they really want.

Most of the trial and error in a freelance market place is in regards to communication.

Let’s assume that you’re extremely proficient at the services you offer. Let’s suggest that you’re a qualified professional and that your mastery of these skills is the very motive that drove you to sell your skills to folks in an online environment. Then, your biggest problem would be isolating the wants of your consumer and crystallizing their concepts into a completed offering. Well, this is tricky business.

At the point of completion, there shouldn’t be any reason to believe the customer would ask for changes. You should feel utter astonishment if the customer asks for a revision. You should receive the concept of a revision with the same puzzled bewilderment that you’d get from a two headed Julia Roberts asking you to realize that she’s “just a two headed girl, standing in front of you, asking you to love her.”

This is why we qualify. Ask. Ask again. Ask some more.

The difference between a professional and a part timer is the questions that a professional knows to ask. Strip away every last fabric of confusion even if it makes you feel embarrassed.

Here’s a good example:

I once had a potential client who came to me with a huge order. Gigantic. They needed 20 songs at my premium rate with extras and session work added.

My first question was, “How will this material be used?”

That alone is going to dictate who I’m speaking to. Who is the receiver of this message that I’m writing. And that will answer all sorts of questions regarding demographics, preferences, subject matter and so on.

The client says, “what I do with the material is my business. You work for me.”

I declined the order. After a lengthy scolding about freelance translating to working for myself, her consideration for the language she used towards sellers and a scathing review of her pseudo abilities, I went on.

A few weeks later she was passing out bad reviews like notes in class. How could she not? She wasn’t going to receive a great result because there wasn’t enough information to provide it. No one in that scenario could guarantee they would be delivered comfort. It wasn’t working together - it was working against a clock. You don’t work for a clock. You work with a client, for yourself, to achieve an amazing and mutually beneficial outcome. Then you do it again.

Ask more questions.

You shouldn’t feel that you need to be sending examples, samples, approved steps without compensation and you should never second guess the job. Ask before the job. Until there’s nothing else you could possibly know to ensure that you can provide the exact delivery that the client wants.

And if you can’t feel completely sure, don’t take the job.

This is indeed right.

The dilemma does also come when it seems no one is willing/able to answer the questions with more than Make it exactly like that da, da, da bit in Iron Man. Only change it by 10% so it is ok on copyright.

Yeah I know, walking…

🙂

That’s easy. Just digitally watermark 30secs of the file with a tone every 10 seconds.
Tell the prospective buyer this is what you will send and leave it up to them if they want to buy form you.

Also, only send a low grade mp3 file rendered to around 96kpbs too so it’s super small but still decent enough to give an idea of what you can produce.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived