Share How You Communicate with Buyers, and the Impact of Good Communications

A big part of success on Fiverr is active communications with buyers. it shows you’re taking their order seriously, keeps them informed, and helps you build a relationship with them. Good communications can boost your chance of a positive review and repeat business.

Buyers don’t want to feel that their order has fallen into a black hole, so keeping people informed is a good thing. At the same time, you don’t want to overdo it. You need to strike a balance between providing useful updates without spamming them - buyers want to be informed, but not overwhelmed!

It’s also important to note that an “appropriate” level of communication will vary between buyers, sellers, and gigs. For example, my gigs are on the more expensive side and take longer to deliver (typically 10 to 12 days), as a result, I provide buyers with updates to reassure them and build trust - important when they are spending hundreds of dollars and waiting on a delivery.

If you’re providing quicker services or your typical gig is lower-priced, you probably don’t need to communicate as often - my recommendation here is to try a few different communications strategies and see what works for you.

Here’s how my communication process normally works.

Initial Contact from the Buyer
90% of my orders only come after the buyer has already contacted me. Typically, they will ask about my services, I will share my experience and expertise, and link them to previous work that shows what they can expect.

I would estimate around 20% to 30% of those initial conversations turn into orders, and I will typically raise a custom offer. There’s no “right” way to communicate here, just keep things simple, straightforward, professional, and focussed on the buyer’s needs. And end each communication with a question to move things forward.

Thank the Buyer for the Order
Once a buyer has decided to order, I normally send them a quick response to thank them for the order. It lets them know I appreciate their business. I keep this short and simple, as follows:

"Hi [username],

Thanks very much for placing an order with me, I really appreciate it. I have all your requirements and will make a start on your order soon. I will contact you if I have any questions, let you know when I am working on your order, and when you can expect it back.

If you have any questions for me, please let me know. I’m here to help.

Paul."

Let the Buyer Know when I am Starting on Their Order
Once I am ready to start on an order, I send the buyer a quick note to let them know. This keeps them in the loop.

"Hi [Username],

I just wanted to let you know I am starting on your order now and expect to deliver it soon - keep an eye on your inbox!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul."

Deliver the Order
Finally, I have a standard response I use when I deliver an order. I let the buyer know how I completed the work to meet their needs, and how to ask for a revision and provide feedback.

"Hi [Username],

I am delighted to provide you with your completed order.

You can access your content through the Google Doc here: or the attached Word document.

Here are a few notes on how I created the content.

- [relevant note 1]
- [relevant note 2]
- [relevant note 3]

The aim of this is to make sure the writing meets your exact needs.

Next Steps

I want to make sure you’re delighted with the content, here’s what to do next:

If you would like me to make revisions to the content, please use the “Comment” function in Google Docs or Word to highlight areas you would like me to change. Revisions don’t take me long to complete.

If you are happy with the content, that’s excellent! If you can rate me using the “star” system and take 30 seconds to write a sentence or two on the service, that would be great. Here’s a helpful guide to leaving reviews on Fiverr - https://youtu.be/LP35Q1ErhLc

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know. I would be delighted to work with you again.

Have a great day,

Paul."

That’s it. For the type of work I do, I have found this to be an appropriate mix of communications.

Please, let us know how you communicate with buyers and what the response has been. What lessons have you learned, and what best practice do you have to share?

A few final points:

• You are welcome to use these quick responses, or variations on them with your own buyers.
  • As I said, this level of communication will not be appropriate for all buyers. You know your buyers best, so use the quantity and type of comms that works for them.
  • For some, that will just be the final delivery communication. For others, you might need the whole thing.

Thanks!

A very well written and informative post. As said by you, communication is really a very very important factor.

This is something that very few people do but that everyone should do. When you take the time to explain your work or point out specific aspects of it, the chances of getting revisions requests or problems goes down dramatically.
Even if you do get a revision request, the buyer is likely to be more clear about what the issue is because they understand what you have done better.
Finally, it what you do gives a small deliverable - like brand names, logos, etc, then having some explanation shows how much work you put into it and that you didnt just write or draw the first thing that came to mind.

Yes, it is best to go overboard with explanations rather than too few.

Paul, like I said in the previous thread you’ve made the mek-sells dreams come true. :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note:

As far as communication I limit it to two emails. More, if follow-ups/clarifications are needed. I typically, roll with the first thanking the Buyer for placing an order. Yanno acknowledging the order; many Sellers don’t do this and it turns me off. The second email is the delivery message. Going over the project details and what I’ve done and so forth. I also toss in a “Thank You” image designed by moi.

Bullet points are important, too. I like to personalize my correspondence, so that way it doesn’t sound canned. Another thing is I try not to write long novels, keeping it short and sweet! :upside_down_face:

Crystal clear communication is oh-so-important. :ok_hand:t4:

I can definitely see how that would work for you - your gigs are well-priced, and it looks like buyers are already getting a lot for their money. It looks like you respond within the hour anyway, plus you’ve got a great range of gigs with good descriptions. I think this all helps with the “up front” knowledge of what you are selling, which is a good balance with your comms strategy.

** Pin worthy post **

Communication is key.
Live ↓

This is what my client sent me when asked about her decision to select me over several others sellers.

It was your initial post, interest in my vision, and no BS upselling

I’ll break it down for you:
I properly and clearly laid out what I offer.
Once contacted, I thoroughly reviewed my clients request and provided a clear, professional response indicating what I will provide her with.
I didn’t use this chance to upsell on other services that many people try to unsuccessfully do.
(Leave that part as a follow-up once the order is complete and the client is happy.)

Oh, yes. She left me a glowing 5 star review.