Should buyers who pay just $5 expect work as good as what's seen in a seller's logo portfolio?

Should buyers who pay just $5 expect work as good as what’s seen in a seller’s logo portfolio?

I think so.

Not wanting to waste my money buying optional services up front with a logo, I gave the same $5 gig to four designers and planned to purchase optional services when I chose a logo for my site.

Is this strategy flawed?

Sheriff’s Note: Your other threads have been closed. Posting multiple threads on the same topic to get more exposure is not allowed.

First question: It’s difficult to know–since what’s in a seller’s portfolio can be a mix of $5 orders and more expensive orders. In my humble opinion, I didn’t think that the seller you mentioned in your other posts offered something that was any different from what showed up in his portfolio for other buyers. Sellers can only spend so long a $5 gig, and while I’d say that most of us try to present the best work for every single order, those that pay $25 are buying more of our time than those that pay $5.

Second question: I actually thing that’s a fine strategy, especially for a site where logos are so extremely cheap, and you’re just starting out looking for someone to design for you.

I just want to add something to what @emasonwrites told you: please consider that seller’s portfolio can contain a lot of gigs deliveries, many of which can be really higher than $5. For example if you take a look at my portfolio, there’s some gig I got $100 for.

So, answering your question Should buyers who pay just $5 expect work as good as what’s seen in a seller’s logo portfolio?: it depends on your requests; there are jobs that can be done within $5 and others that need a lot of efforts and so extras.

Just my 2 cents advice: when I discover something I like in one seller’s portfolio, before placing an order I contact the seller, tell him what I need (maybe pointing out that I saw something particular on portfolio) and ask for a quotation…

If the quotation is too high for you, you can search for another seller…

I won’t parrot what the posters said above, because I pretty much agree. However, I will say some sellers do offer a premium gig for just $5. It really just depends on the seller and what they’re willing to charge for how much work.

Not to be disrespectful, but buyers can only go on what they see in a portfolio and other buyers’ comments.

So if a seller advertises a “$5 Gig,” and a portfolio is posted that doesn’t distinguish between $5 gigs and $100 gigs, isn’t that false advertising?

Isn’t this site based on the idea that one can get something great for $5? This is not my experience.

In New York, one can go to discount “dollar stores” and “5-dollar” stores to get way more than their money’s worth. Unlike on FiveRR, the transaction is simple and transparent: See the product in the “shelf portfolio.” Buy the very same product. Get the same product.

FiveRR seems more like a bait-and-switch model.

That said, I’ll wait for the other two logos commissioned to solidify my judgement.

Reply to @emasonwrites:

Maybe each item in the portfolio and comments sections should have a price tag on it?

Reply to @edwriter:

Maybe one of the problems is that FiveRR’s “About” is hidden in the FAQ section, not clearly on the home page.:

What is Fiverr®?

Fiverr® is the worlds largest marketplace for services starting at $5. A service offered on Fiverr is called a Gig®. Gigs on Fiverr are offered for a fixed, base price of $5 (also referred to as one Fiverr). Whenever you see 'I will _for $5", it means the seller is offering a Gig for the fixed price of $5.

The key phrase is “starting at $5.” This should be more clear throughout–by FiveRR and by sellers.

When someone looking for a deal sees a $5 price tag, they want to pay $5 for the product or service.

Once a seller receives a Gig and the buyer’s description or specs, if it’s gonna be more than the advertised price, they should give an estimate before starting on the work.

None of the “service options” say, "for $20 more, we’ll put someone on the gig that can do work commensurate with what’s in the portfolio. In not doing so, I think FiveRR is greatly flawed and in many cases, the services it curates are fraudulent.

Reply to @mark74:

Referring to my other comments:

Once a seller receives a Gig and the buyer’s description or specs, if it’s gonna be more than the advertised price, they should give an estimate before starting on the work, not deliver work that is of much lower quality as that in their portfolio.

Reply to @powermedia64:

Here’s one thing all buyers need to know. Sellers are at the mercy of Fiverr. This means decisions regarding the user interface (UI) are completely out of our hands. Things like why gig titles don’t have the preamble “starting at” on them, we honestly don’t control. My guess is it sells better to simply say “I will (fill in the blank) for $5…” Sellers also don’t control how the portfolios on the gigs operate. That means the costly projects are jumbled with the less costly ones. Extras specify the cost of additional features. I don’t know the whole story of your situation, so I don’t want to make any blind assumptions.

Rule of thumb for any buyer, however, contact the seller before ordering. It will likely spare you both all of the headaches. And rule of thumb for sellers too, always be honest with your clients about the cost of a potential project.

Reply to @edwriter:

I agree with the interface problems, but FiveRR’s not a new site in beta. If sellers were genuinely interested in being transparent, they would have insisted by now to have FiveRR make such info clear upfront and figure a way for the portfolios to reflect the cost of each item in it.

Otherwise, by taking a blind eye to these issues, the site and sellers, at best, mislead buyers and, at worst, are frauds–at least on the $5 issue.

Let me clearly state that I believe FiveRR is a very good value for some buyers and talented sellers put out good work. This has yet to be my experience.

powermedia64 said: Isn't this site based on the idea that one can get something great for $5

No, you can get wonderful things starting from $5...

Reply to @powermedia64: I don’t know…I don’t deliver visual products, just writing, so I don’t have a live portfolio. I think some sellers might like that idea, so their buyers can easily see what their money will buy them, but others would probably object, as price structures change and could be affected by other factors, rather than just the intricacy of the design?

Reply to @powermedia64: it depends.

If buyer orders a gig without agreeing with the seller the price needed, then seller must deliver a job corresponding to the price paid from buyer. Seller could complain with buyer for the lack of conversation before the order and could tell the buyer that what he’s asking needs more gigs… but it’s not mandatory! If buyer places a $5 order, then he must expect to receive a $5 delivery.

I think it’s buyer interest and responsability to talk with seller before placing an order and agreeing for details, time and price

Conversely if buyer talks with seller about his needs and seller provides a quotation, then seller for that quotation must deliver what agreed.

So my question is: did you talk with the seller before placing the order?

Remember: conversation between seller and buyer is the key for a successful gig!

Reply to @mark74:

I truly hope that the other 2 or four logo gigs I initiated will turn up something wonderful, but so far, the first two sellers who didn’t come close to that.

My take on it:

I have displayed a version I will do for $5

next to a version I will do with a +$20 extra.

Clearly displaying the standards between price difference.

If a seller clearly defines the difference between their standard $5 gig quality and what they are capable of with additional funds, in no way should the buyer expect to pay $5 and receive $20 quality.

If, however, the only sample of work displayed was of a total $25 value gig with no explanation that this was not covered by the $5, the buyer is in the right to be upset by a quality difference, because it’s a case of false advertising.

Reply to @powermedia64: There a lot of things that sellers are trying to insist upon. Getting Fiverr to listen is a whole other issue.

Once upon a time, sellers could add or subtract to their portfolios without interference from Fiverr staff. Then one day the powers that be decided to impose a required portfolio for gigs in certain categories, and with this decision came the requirement that all delivered work would automatically go into the portfolio. So now, if a seller wants to add to or subtract from their portfolio, they have to contact CS, cross their fingers, and hope their wish will be granted.

In short, it’s a real headache trying to deal with portfolio issues.

Ideally, we could figure out a way to note how much each item cost and what Extras were included. The difficulty level of this differs with each type of gig. For instance, I had a book trailer gig. If I wanted to show what each video cost, I could add a little blurb at the beginning or end of each video to reflect this information. Or if there was a title option or something built in to the portfolio (like the description area on YouTube or something), I could fill that in so the information would show.

But then there’s the issue of buyer privacy. Most buyers don’t mind if their work is shown in the portfolio, but not many want to reveal how much they’ve spent. Sellers would have to be sure to ask permission to list the cost breakdown and total.

Perhaps another option would be to create separate videos to reflect each Extra, but the problem there is that something like a video can be totally subjective, and what one person perceives as totally awesome can be perceived by the next person as boring. Then you’d have to make sure those videos showed up at the beginning of the portfolio, again meaning contacting CS to adjust the portfolio EVERY TIME a new video is added.

So…I see what you’re saying, but it’s just kind of a big headache to take on. The best course of action is to contact the seller before ordering, describe what you need, and see if they can do it and how much it would cost.

And always, always READ THE GIG DESCRIPTION. Good sellers will have everything you need to know there. If you’re confused, ask.

I should add that it’s always a good idea for sellers to have several items in their portfolio to show an array of options. Nothing turns me off more as a buyer than to click into someone’s gig and see one or two “samples” that are basic ONLY or are just words saying “BUY ME” or something silly like that. Give me a visual!

Anyway. I hope you’re successful in finding a good logo maker. :slight_smile:

Reply to @inkpetal:

Yours seems like the right way to display work on Fiverr, but I must say that the “options” or “extras” I’ve seen have no relation to quality of the artistry (or design work, in this case).

That said, thinking that all images in portfolios are turned out with the same quality of artistry, I didn’t think that there was a difference between a job sold with the various upsells and a $5 job.

My point exactly. The images in the seller’s portfolios didn’t have price breakdowns (all were pretty good, actually. This is why I chose him). So, yes, I was taken aback with the quality of the logos I received.

Reply to @mark74:

The gig instructions don’t say, “call me so we can discuss your gig”. This isn’t cost-effective. They ask that we send a message with our ideas, specs and other requirements. Here are the ones I sent to the seller.

Do they not adequately describe my needs?

This first logo is for ProMotoResource.com, an information portal for journalists in the motorcycle industry.

These sites have additional information about my company: PowersportsPressRelease.com and PWR-Media.com.

My original logo is attached. It is in the style of the various logos I’ve used for the past 10 years.

INFO FOR NEW LOGO

Business Name: Pro Moto Resource. Please use all three words, spaced as shown

Tagline: None

Services/Products: Marketing and press releases

Target Audience: Journalists and small-business owners

Orientation: Horizontal

Logo Type: Modern, sophisticated, simple

Logo Themes: Journalism, information and/or motorcycles

Logo Color: Please use the same light blue color somewhere in the logo

Please contact me if I can answer any questions.

I look forward to seeing your designs. Have fun!

Reply to @powermedia64:

Do these logos match the description? What would you have done differently (as buyer AND seller)?