Should I be insulted or thankful?

Guest flashofinsanity

Guest flashofinsanity

I recently got an order from someone who asked me to design a matching set of 3D header images for their social network pages. As a free bonus in return for their feedback I offered a free matching 20 second 3D animated video. This person has since contacted me again wanting deals on more videos for their “Other” sites yet when I checked this clients Facebook fan page I see that they have posted the video I made for them as a free gift and are claiming they made it and can make them for others. Should I be insulted that they are taking credit for my work or thankful that someone likes my work enough to resell it at a profit??

I don’t know. But personally if someone’s going to use my work like this, I’ll be irritated specially if I wasn’t even told about it. I honestly don’t think it’s right.

Besides, I think some members here in fiverr, for instance those in illustration like me, they charge gig extras for even the removal of their signs. And another charge on giving rights to the buyer. So if you’re charging only $5 I think that’s not enough.

However, I think it is in fiverr terms (I’m not sure, someone tell me if I’m wrong) that if you didn’t indicate in your gig that you retain rights, the buyer gets the rights. That’s what I remember.

Still I don’t think it’s nice to do what they’re doing but following the terms, they can I guess?

Anyways, for me I don’t like it.

Guest flashofinsanity

That’s sort of the way I was looking at it. I work hard to design original images and videos and for someone else to just flat out take credit for designing it is upsetting to say the least. I can’t wait to get my level 1 back on this profile so I can do that with the extras, good advise thanks.

Hey,

Whilst its not nice seeing somebody else claim credit for your work surely its a good thing that they are offering it to other people as they must believe the quality is good (why would you offer sucky work to people right).

Also buyer retains the rights, so you are SOL in that regard.

Guest flashofinsanity

A little update on this one. The guy contacted me again. He is now actively advertising my service as his own and has a potential client that want’s a one minute sample video of a comedic webcast that advertises diapers before they buy and he had the nerve to ask me to make him a free sample to give to them. He wanted me to script it, come up with all the designs, animate it and publish it to his YouTube channel all for free. Needless to say, I just lost a customer.

Do not sell yourself short. People were doing that with my work, now I add my branding logo to my work, and charge $20 extra for the removal. You can definitely offer the free 20 second video, but add your brand to it, and create a gig extra for an unbranded version. Do not create a free sample for this gig. If he wants a sample to resell the service, he will have to pay. He’s already getting high quality work for $5, do not let anyone continue to take advantage of you. Good luck & much success to you!

I wouldn’t loose a custome over that

Just charge him accordingly, either way he’s agreed to do work for a client, which he needs you to complete so you hold the cards. Take into account he’s re-selling and charge him accordingly. Happens to me quite often.

Music lover is right you can add your brand to finished work, but I wouldn’t charge $20 for it, id charge $10.

I always point out what folks are getting in the deal, especially if they’re getting free extra work. I literally point out that the gig is for 30 seconds and I’m doing 2 minutes for you for free.

I do special extras for folks when I am trying to win them over. Always be polite and upfront about what they’re getting. If it’s an extra or free, tell them.

You’ll always have a percentage of people try to take advantage of you.

That would never be me.

• 1 month later...

Archived