Should I cut my losses?

Been a while since I had a rant here…

the other day I completed a gig for a guy. 20,000 words. Brilliant. I get all the positive feedback as he ordered over 10 different gigs. Yesterday he gets in touch demanding that I re-write everything as it is some of the poorest quality writing he has ever seen. Now, I won’t lie, this is not the best quality that I have produced. However I have been sick with exhaustion the past couple of weeks and I allowed him to order the gig has a ‘favour’ (not sure why). He has now ordered $5.00 gig and said that I need to re-write everything I wrote for him…but he has made a few corrections for me to make it simpler. I think my main problem was that I wrote from something which was spun (he sent me a spun article, and working from those makes you instantly dumb when you type…I don’t know how to describe it…but it messes up with your sense of grammar and English. It is crazy!) He basically wants me to re-write his 20,000 words again. Now here is the catch…

He is absolutely abysmal at English. Compare my work (which is fairly decent for $5.00 per 1000 words) to his quality. How can he claim that I have written incredibly poorly if that is his idea of ‘making it better’?

My words:

Why do you need a mobile web design? Well, more people than ever are deciding to access websites through their mobile devices than ever before. Sadly though, your current website is not going to look good on them and thus scare people away, never to return. Basically you will be throwing away business. This is because that particular site has been designed for a much larger screen, which is not going to be ideal. A mobile blog is of course designed for a smaller screen.

His Words:

Now a day, there are millions of people are used Mobile Blog design for their online business but when user’s find your site is in Mobile Blog and find its not getting more information by website so visitors leave your website. Inverse Design gives you the solutions for your website for mobile users and after seeing proper your website in Mobile Blog users get more information by your Mobile Blog and convert that visitor in to your business.

See the difference? This is like a complete re-write (and he only wants me to work from his copy as it is the better copy) for just $5.00. That is less than 50 cents an hour for this re-write (will take around 10 hours). Now, I am perfectly happy to re-write from my articles. He does not want this though. He thinks they are ‘crap’. He has already ordered the gig and it has gone ‘very late’ due to this. If he cancels because it is ‘very late’ I can pretty much kiss goodbye to my level (will push me to 9% cancellation rate). Thankfully though, the positive feedback he left is safe and customer support will not refund him/allow him to change them (been over three days)

What should I do? Cut my losses?

This is what I originally wrote from on that paragraph. When you are looking at 93 pages of this, you tend to become a little bit ‘dumber’ and that shows in what I wrote! It is impossible to write intelligently when you are re-writing something like this. I promise, if I am coming up with things off the top of my head it is a great dealer better. However, nobody in their right mind can say what I done was not worth the money. Oh, and for that $5.00 he also wants me to format the document into ‘legal standard’ (whatever that is)

“Now a day, there are millions of people are used Mobile CMS for their online business but when user’s find your site is in Mobile CMS and find its not getting more information by website so visitors leave your website. Inverse Design gives you the solutions for your website for mobile users and after seeing proper your website in WAP users get more information by your Mobile CMS and convert that visitor in to your business.”

9% cancellation rate is still pretty low and will not harm your level imo.

I was at 9% before for a while but it has gone down to 7% at the moment.

So I’m not sure why you’re worrying about that.

Honestly, for the amount of work you did and the amount of money you’ll be making, I’d keep the money and take the bad feedback.

He certainly won’t be getting a refund regardless…the quality is much better than you would normally expect for this price.

I have sent him a long detailed message to which he hasn’t responded…I just don’t see how what he ‘corrected’ was better than what I wrote. It seems as though in various places throughout the article he has copied and pasted in the original paragraphs hoping I do not notice. This means that he would be getting double the amount of re-writes for $5.00 extra…I mean, really…

Aww. Super frustrating! I can totally see why. I guess at this point you have to decide what is worth more to you. The feedback or the money. Maybe get CS involved and get their input on what you should do?

The guy thanked me for my work, said that he could do a better job than me, cancelled the outstanding order for lateness (I got the feedback removed) and said he was submitting a ticket to get the remaining balance refunded. Thankfully I already mentioned to customer support about this. Hopefully they will not remove his positive feedback so he can leave me negative…but I doubt they will do that.

He wanted me to edit 18,000 of his new words for that $5.00 :slight_smile:

he’s sent you a spun article! I review people adsense sites all the time and the moment I read it I though ‘spun article’ - take a hit on the feedback and tell him where to go. I’m fed up with dealing with idiots like these that customer service does nothing to prevent.

One point of note always ask them for their website URL - then use whois to find out there name and address. Always leaves your options open doesn’t it?

I once got rolled over by one guy on warrior forum. $300 of articles he was 100% happy with then didn’t want to pay for. I should imagine he still wondering why he can’t access his hostgator account…Is alibaba a real person/email? :slight_smile: Guess the DEBTOR in 96 point type on his website annoyed him…

I think that I had the same guy lol …then I just wrote a flyer for some one about an extremely BORING subject that sounded like one of those pyramid scams…and they gave me a bad review saying they could have written it better. Well sorry then you just write the thing your self!