Shouldn't buyer know the difference between Revision and cancellation?

rosybesty

Hi Doers, Can someone please explain to buyers the difference between a revision and a cancellation. I think the main reason while the revision option was, is for delivered order to be improved. I belonged to the Programming and tech category and this has always been an issue with buyers. Web designers are not magicians and it takes a lot of effort to actually turn a buyer information into a compelling web design and most web design clients on Fiverr don’t even provide a mockup design of what they wanted. An example of client requirements here: “The visitor should be taken through an interactive journey which brings him/her through our suite of solutions and ends with a convinced visitor who wants to engage our services and complete our contact form.”. ** My reply: Kindly provide more information on how the process should work. Client response: “The web design is on you. My amateurish work is live on the site at the minute. I’ve sent you the current content but the idea is yours to build…” My response; “Okay, as the design approach is for me to decide, you may possibly need to request more revisions doing the work progress as I will be getting design ideas from blockchain site I have built in the past jobs.”.
And the first draft came back with this cancellation request: "Hi Rosy,

It’s unanimous. everyone feels my amateur work on our .io domain looks better than the draft you put forward on .com. Also, there is no evidence of your capability or draft effort on what we are after with regards to an interactive journey"

All effort put together to tell the buyer to ask for revision with details of what isn’t right and what should be improved came with more cancelation request like this: (The timeline for this gig has ended. The work submitted does not bear our minimum requirement of: “The visitor should be taken through an interactive journey which brings him/her through our suite of solutions and ends with a convinced visitor who wants to engage our services and complete our contact form.”).and this (Please accept the cancellation as promised so we can move on. I have no time to lose. I need to appoint a new designer immediately. Thank you.).

How have you been dealing with your web design clients here on Fiverr? I’m really curious if I have to put some things into practice

Hi there. You will probably get other answers that may differ, but my first thought is that you may need to work your gig description and FAQs much more carefully and make your delivery times longer so you can work in a pace. I looked at your best seller and the base gig is nearly two hundred bucks and you have a delivery time of 5 days. Your package on that one says:

“Fully Responsive Website up to 5pages + text, website contents, images with responsible design”

As a buyer, I would expect you to have 5 pages up with the content you say you can offer and images in 5 days. I am guessing that “responsible design” might mean “responsive” but as a buyer I might think it means you are responsible for everything about the design since you wrote “responsible.” If i waited for you to make me this fabulous responsible design of 5 pages filled with content in 5 days and you didn’t deliver anything close to that, I might not be willing to ask for a revision either.

if you want buyers to have you do a kind of vague mock-up first and then let them guide you through milestones with the revision button, I’d suggest making a much more realistic delivery time for something as big as 5 pages designed by you and filled with content. Make sure that your package has the right words in it. If the buyer is responsible for providing you lots of information, make that clear and take out the word “responsible” on your package. Make sure that your gig description tells buyers that your build is a process and that they will need to work with you over the delivery time to gradually build the site with you.

For a gig that costs that much, I would also expect to be given either a really detailed requirements page or a form to fill out so that I could tell you everything about what I want on my site. Your requirements should ask specific questions about what the buyer wants. What kind of feel? What audience? What colors? For 5 pages filled with content and images, you’ll need to ask a lot of questions. The average buyer may not be sure what they want until YOU guide them.

So, those are my own suggestions and they are just my opinion. I think that your buyer probably read one of your gig descriptions and expected you to be able to create an amazing concept for them based on their simple concept. They may have thought it would be done in a very short time if they ordered one of your base gigs. I’m guessing at some things, but that’s what I get from what you said and my glance at your gigs. Good luck!

Hi Doers, Can someone please explain to buyers the difference between a revision and a cancellation. I think the main reason while the revision option was, is for delivered order to be improved. I belonged to the Programming and tech category and this has always been an issue with buyers. Web designers are not magicians and it takes a lot of effort to actually turn a buyer information into a compelling web design and most web design clients on Fiverr don’t even provide a mockup design of what they wanted. An example of client requirements here: “The visitor should be taken through an interactive journey which brings him/her through our suite of solutions and ends with a convinced visitor who wants to engage our services and complete our contact form.”. ** My reply: Kindly provide more information on how the process should work. Client response: “The web design is on you. My amateurish work is live on the site at the minute. I’ve sent you the current content but the idea is yours to build…” My response; “Okay, as the design approach is for me to decide, you may possibly need to request more revisions doing the work progress as I will be getting design ideas from blockchain site I have built in the past jobs.”.

And the first draft came back with this cancellation request: "Hi Rosy,

It’s unanimous. everyone feels my amateur work on our .io domain looks better than the draft you put forward on .com. Also, there is no evidence of your capability or draft effort on what we are after with regards to an interactive journey"

All effort put together to tell the buyer to ask for revision with details of what isn’t right and what should be improved came with more cancelation request like this: (The timeline for this gig has ended. The work submitted does not bear our minimum requirement of: “The visitor should be taken through an interactive journey which brings him/her through our suite of solutions and ends with a convinced visitor who wants to engage our services and complete our contact form.”).and this (Please accept the cancellation as promised so we can move on. I have no time to lose. I need to appoint a new designer immediately. Thank you.).

How have you been dealing with your web design clients here on Fiverr? I’m really curious if I have to put some things into practice

How have you been dealing with your web design clients here on Fiverr?

#1 Filtering out bad apples

I ask all my clients to contact me before ordering. The main reason is to filter out bad apples and projects that don’t fit my skill set.

In this case it’s pretty obvious that you’re dealing with a demanding customer who doesn’t really know what they want or need.

I don’t know if this buyer contacted you before ordering, but instead of saying “Feel free to get in touch” in your gig description, I would clearly state that every buyer should contact you before ordering.

After 100 orders only 5% of my clients ordered without contacting me first.

#2 Use a business discovery form

All my projects start with a business discovery, which is basically 2 step process

• Buyer fills out a discovery form (20+ questions about goals, target audience, design, features etc.)
  • I will look up the company myself and do some basic background check. For example, if I see from Google reviews that the company is consistently providing poor service to their customers then it raises a red flag. Or if I see that their current site is using stolen content and design, then it raises another red flag.

Important: At this point the client hasn’t ordered anything from me. I won’t send a custom offer until I have all the details I need.

#3 Sending a proposal

If I’m 100% satisfied with the answers they provided and I like the project then I send them a custom offer.

The offer is usually 10-15 page proposal that covers project goals, cost, timeline and most importantly agreements.

For example, in the agreements you have to state what the client has to do and by what time. If they need to provide the content then by which date, format and what happens if they don’t.

Hi there. You will probably get other answers that may differ, but my first thought is that you may need to work your gig description and FAQs much more carefully and make your delivery times longer so you can work in a pace. I looked at your best seller and the base gig is nearly two hundred bucks and you have a delivery time of 5 days. Your package on that one says:

“Fully Responsive Website up to 5pages + text, website contents, images with responsible design”

As a buyer, I would expect you to have 5 pages up with the content you say you can offer and images in 5 days. I am guessing that “responsible design” might mean “responsive” but as a buyer I might think it means you are responsible for everything about the design since you wrote “responsible.” If i waited for you to make me this fabulous responsible design of 5 pages filled with content in 5 days and you didn’t deliver anything close to that, I might not be willing to ask for a revision either.

if you want buyers to have you do a kind of vague mock-up first and then let them guide you through milestones with the revision button, I’d suggest making a much more realistic delivery time for something as big as 5 pages designed by you and filled with content. Make sure that your package has the right words in it. If the buyer is responsible for providing you lots of information, make that clear and take out the word “responsible” on your package. Make sure that your gig description tells buyers that your build is a process and that they will need to work with you over the delivery time to gradually build the site with you.

For a gig that costs that much, I would also expect to be given either a really detailed requirements page or a form to fill out so that I could tell you everything about what I want on my site. Your requirements should ask specific questions about what the buyer wants. What kind of feel? What audience? What colors? For 5 pages filled with content and images, you’ll need to ask a lot of questions. The average buyer may not be sure what they want until YOU guide them.

So, those are my own suggestions and they are just my opinion. I think that your buyer probably read one of your gig descriptions and expected you to be able to create an amazing concept for them based on their simple concept. They may have thought it would be done in a very short time if they ordered one of your base gigs. I’m guessing at some things, but that’s what I get from what you said and my glance at your gigs. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response @fonthaunt. When I saw you’ve responded to my post, I already knew you will go in-depth with your response. Though, It was a custom offer and I thought I have been able to make the buyer understand that as far as his provided requirements weren’t detailed enough, then the job will be provided base on similar jobs I have done and he could request revisions to further improve on the job. I have accepted his cancelation request has he further threatened to reach out to customer service (once had a situation where customer service canceled an order without my notice) just have to let this go as already new it will probably later be canceled by customer service if he reported.

And @uxreview, I really so much appreciate your response, I will surelly be looking into all of that to better improve my service here on fiverr.

How have you been dealing with your web design clients here on Fiverr?

#1 Filtering out bad apples

I ask all my clients to contact me before ordering. The main reason is to filter out bad apples and projects that don’t fit my skill set.

In this case it’s pretty obvious that you’re dealing with a demanding customer who doesn’t really know what they want or need.

I don’t know if this buyer contacted you before ordering, but instead of saying “Feel free to get in touch” in your gig description, I would clearly state that every buyer should contact you before ordering.

After 100 orders only 5% of my clients ordered without contacting me first.

All my projects start with a business discovery, which is basically 2 step process

• Buyer fills out a discovery form (20+ questions about goals, target audience, design, features etc.)
  • I will look up the company myself and do some basic background check. For example, if I see from Google reviews that the company is consistently providing poor service to their customers then it raises a red flag. Or if I see that their current site is using stolen content and design, then it raises another red flag.

Important: At this point the client hasn’t ordered anything from me. I won’t send a custom offer until I have all the details I need.

#3 Sending a proposal

If I’m 100% satisfied with the answers they provided and I like the project then I send them a custom offer.

The offer is usually 10-15 page proposal that covers project goals, cost, timeline and most importantly agreements.

For example, in the agreements you have to state what the client has to do and by what time. If they need to provide the content then by which date, format and what happens if they don’t.

probably you are refering to a client web design questionair here. Although, I mainly make use of this in my Agency and I have once tried putting this into use here on fiverr, but most of the buyer are very lazy filing this up. Some complained it takes a lot of there time filing it up using the pc and it would have been better being hand document.

probably you are refering to a client web design questionair here. Although, I mainly make use of this in my Agency and I have once tried putting this into use here on fiverr, but most of the buyer are very lazy filing this up. Some complained it takes a lot of there time filing it up using the pc and it would have been better being hand document.

but most of the buyer are very lazy filing this up

That’s why you have this form, filtering out lazy people 🙂

If they find it difficult to fill out the form then how likely will you get the content on time or any useful input during revisions?

If they don’t fill it out or provide limited information then it’s good to find it out as soon as possible.

I’ve had only 2 users like that I politely refused the project.

I don’t accept any projects without business discovery.

I have once tried putting this into use here on fiverr, but most of the buyer are very lazy filing this up. Some complained it takes a lot of there time filing it up using the pc and it would have been better being hand document.

If people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars, they should be willing to fill out a good form. If they want to handwrite it, they could do that and take a photo of it to send you as long as they write well, but I would just have them do a simple online form. PDF or even a Word Document would work. If someone tells you it is too much work to fill out a form when they are making a triple-digit purchase, chances are high that they would have tried to cancel to get the work free anyway.

That goes back to what uxreview said about vetting. Get rid of people who don’t want to provide proper info. Otherwise, you need to sell something cheaper or break your gigs down into smaller pieces where you can have shorter forums and more small orders instead of single larger orders.

Archived