Signs Of a Scammer

brenna_n

They want to talk outside of fiverr

not only is it against the rules and you have to run the risk of getting banned, any professional seller or company would not break the set TOS. It is a lot easier for scammers to get your personal info after they have your email, number, or social media account, and you put yourself in danger.

You are a new seller

It makes sense that scammers would prey on new sellers, as they are inexperienced, often desperate for sales, and don’t know how to differentiate a scam with a legitimate buyer.

They claim to be a hr manager

Scammers have claimed to me that they are a “human resources manager” at a big company. This is false. Large corporations hire in person, where they can see someone’s face. It is incredibly unlikely that a credible and legit established company would hire on fiverr.

Unprofessional/rude

Many of these scammers have no interest in being cordial or polite, simply because they are not professionals. Steer clear of buyers like this. Even if they are legit, it will not be pleasant to work with them.

No Reviews

If the buyer has no reviews, this is also something to look out for. Obviously, they are more likely to just be a new buyer, but when coupled with other red flags, this could be telling

I hope this helped ya’ll! Stay safe ❤️

• Like 355
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 17

A while i got a message from someone telling me he is interested in my gig and gave me a link telling me to click for info, i clicked the link was directed to suspicious site with headline ‘Click here for design info’ , i carelessly clicked the button was directed to some totally irrelevant site. Then i realised i made a mistake, i messaged the guy back he didnt reply. Then got a msg from fiverr he is no longer on fiverr… Now it has been an hour, my laptop disconnected from internet, is being scanned for malware, and viruses.

• Like 133
  • Sad 5
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

A while i got a message from someone telling me he is interested in my gig and gave me a link telling me to click for info, i clicked the link was directed to suspicious site with headline ‘Click here for design info’ , i carelessly clicked the button was directed to some totally irrelevant site. Then i realised i made a mistake, i messaged the guy back he didnt reply. Then got a msg from fiverr he is no longer on fiverr… Now it has been an hour, my laptop disconnected from internet, is being scanned for malware, and viruses.

dang, i’m so sorry that you have to go thru this. Yeah, never ever open links from anyone; not just on fiverr, but anywhere online in general

• Like 124
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 2

dang, i’m so sorry that you have to go thru this. Yeah, never ever open links from anyone; not just on fiverr, but anywhere online in general

Yeah got to know about phishing and similar links send to other newbies here! And you are right newbies are desperate for first order like me 😛 though it was common sense shouldn’t have clicked it, but in excitement i kept on clicking 😛 As you said new sellers should be careful!

• Like 114
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:30 PM, brenna_n said:

No Reviews

I’ve had a few horrible experiences with buyers with dozens of 5* reviews. With name-calling, intricate refund attempts and everything. 🙂 Many sellers are afraid to leave bad reviews to risk the wrath of a buyer so it’s not a very good metric IMO. 

• Like 151
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

No Reviews

If the buyer has no reviews, this is also something to look out for. Obviously, they are more likely to just be a new buyer, but when coupled with other red flags, this could be telling

I don’t quite agree on that. I have had many bad experiences with top rated buyers while completely new or no review buyers had really good attitude and were very cooperative. 

• Like 122
  • Up 3

No Reviews

This one always makes me think because I know a lot of people are new to the platform like me so I shouldn’t be cautious of being scammed but then it’s the same as the way a buyer feels with a seller with no reviews. They want to know why or it’s just me. 🙂 

• Like 116
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

The wanting to talk outside fiverr is huge! That and a new seller. When I started my voice acting stuff, I remember my first message being junk about someone wanting to talk outside Fiverr. So forget that nonsense, keep your common sense!

“So forget that nonsense, keep your common sense!” I like this, @barrelofmonkeys.

Fortunately in the work that I do I don’t get a lot of that. It seems certain industries and tasks are more targeted than others.

• Like 113
  • Thanks 1

I pushed out my first gig last night then went to bed. Woke up to -WOW- my first message from a client. Well, excitement turned to a sigh of sadness when the messenger asked to communicate outside of Fiverr. 😟

Oh well, good on him for trying!

Don’t go outside the platform and all will be good!

• Like 112
  • Sad 3

I’ve been on Fiverr now for a few days, and feel like this is all the requests I am getting. I’ve gotten 4 now, and every single one has asked that I chat on hangouts or ‘dollar sign kype’ (Note the ‘dollar sign’). I read the communication guidelines and know that everything should be kept within the platform. I then offer them a gig for a 30-minute paid consult to tell me exactly what they want on a voice chat so I can direct them to the correct gig that I offer, and get declined immediately without explanation. So I hope other new sellers beware, and make sure you do your due diligence. Don’t just jump on a chat with someone without knowing they are serious about getting you some work. I personally like having the ability to offer a cheap gig for my time. It’s been a great way to filter out folks who aren’t willing to tell you what they want up front, and are most likely a scammer.

• Like 110
  • Thanks 2

I’ve been on Fiverr now for a few days, and feel like this is all the requests I am getting. I’ve gotten 4 now, and every single one has asked that I chat on hangouts or ‘dollar sign kype’ (Note the ‘dollar sign’). I read the communication guidelines and know that everything should be kept within the platform. I then offer them a gig for a 30-minute paid consult to tell me exactly what they want on a voice chat so I can direct them to the correct gig that I offer, and get declined immediately without explanation. So I hope other new sellers beware, and make sure you do your due diligence. Don’t just jump on a chat with someone without knowing they are serious about getting you some work. I personally like having the ability to offer a cheap gig for my time. It’s been a great way to filter out folks who aren’t willing to tell you what they want up front, and are most likely a scammer.

They target new sellers, unfortunately. You should get fewer of them once you’ve had more sales, assuming your gigs are of professional quality.

• Like 109
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the information.
But
I’m worried now, few weeks back a buyer requested my CV. I mailed him. Then I found that he was from India and was lying. He demanded few dollar before hiring me(as he said). I told him that sorry I am not gonna work with an Indian Organization.
He left.
What you think, am I safe now? CV’s haves full info, what you think…

• Like 96
  • Thanks 3

On 9/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, hmz4klm said:

I’m worried now, few weeks back a buyer requested my CV. I mailed him. Then I found that he was from India and was lying. He demanded few dollar before hiring me(as he said). I told him that sorry I am not gonna work with an Indian Organization.

He left.

Well that’s prejudiced but ok.

No one needs your CV. 

• Like 120
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 2

If they send you a link ask them for jpg. If they refuse they’re scammers. If it’s really important to open the link after downloading it always open it online and not on your system (OS) so that they can’t access your keyboard info. If they ask to send them any sample before placing order, refuse!!! I am new here by the way. Just learned these from my mentor.

• Like 102
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

Some other signs I’ve had:

• They say that they’ve worked with others on Fiverr and the work was terrible, so they hope you’ll do better.
  • They don’t fill in all the order details.
  • Within seconds of delivery, they are hitting that revision button saying they don’t like your work.
  • They ask for samples.
  • They complain about your pricing.
  • They don’t read your gig and message you several times with questions that are in your gig.
  • They mention they work with a client.
  • They say there are spelling and grammatical errors in your delivery, but fail to answer when you ask them what they mean.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 119
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 5

Some other signs I’ve had:

• They say that they’ve worked with others on Fiverr and the work was terrible, so they hope you’ll do better.
  • They don’t fill in all the order details.
  • Within seconds of delivery, they are hitting that revision button saying they don’t like your work.
  • They ask for samples.
  • They complain about your pricing.
  • They don’t read your gig and message you several times with questions that are in your gig.
  • They mention they work with a client.
  • They say there are spelling and grammatical errors in your delivery, but fail to answer when you ask them what they mean.

Stay safe everyone!

I had one give me 3 stars then try to talk to me about how they would change the review to five if I did more. I ignored them.

I had another one send multiple messages both before and after placing an order, and in every message say things that she claimed I said I would do that I do not do, and never said I would do.

Things like “So you said you are going to cast these spells for everyone in my family, thank you.”

• Like 89
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

I had one give me 3 stars then try to talk to me about how they would change the review to five if I did more. I ignored them.

I had another one send multiple messages both before and after placing an order, and in every message say things that she claimed I said I would do that I do not do, and never said I would do.

Things like “So you said you are going to cast these spells for everyone in my family, thank you.”

Some people are crazy! I’d hate to work at a real job with someone like that.

• Like 93
  • Up 1

Thanks for the information.

But

He left.

Posts that have content or links that put individual regions or sellers from specific regions in a negative light may be pulled for review, edited or removed. Be careful if making any post that may make users uncomfortable due the mention of specific cities/states/provinces/countries/continents/regions or ethnic groups.

The above is from the forum rules: Forum Rules + Do's and Dont's

• Like 95
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1