Fiverr Forum

Simple Pricing Queries

This is kind of half-rant, half questioning other sellers.

We work in Voice Over. Pricing, for the most part, is very simple. You input your word-count, you choose any relevant options, you decide how quickly you need the work back, and Fiverr spits out a cost.

Simples.

Yet every day, we get 2 or 3 requests (I’m almost CERTAIN from sellers who are offering Whiteboard/Animated videos) that go something like the one we literally just received.

“Hey - Got a script of 150 words. How much? Please send a quote.”

Now, our usual response is to answer the question. Which, after almost 3 years of doing so, comes pretty naturally and quickly nowadays. We can chuck over an accurate price without having to think about it. But even so, it still takes a few minutes of our day for us to reply with a price, only to usually never hear from that buyer ever again.

For this particular query, I went back with a polite “Our pricing and availability are clearly shown on our gigs, but let me know if you have any questions that you can’t find the answer to there.” A message that I could very easily save as a ‘stock response’ to such questions.

My question to fellow sellers is this; Am I being unreasonable? Is it only fair to expect this? Or should I expect buyers (who are often also sellers) to do the most basic thing of checking our gigs for our rates BEFORE contacting us? Is it fair to ping back a response like this? Would you do it? Or would you always send a personalised reply, no matter what?

(Note - this is ONLY for those super-simple, blooming obvious requests. Of course, if a buyer has something that isn’t so straight-forward, we welcome their messages and would send a personal reply - and of course this would include things like Broadcast Rights)

3 Likes

You’re not being unreasonable; I doubt that those sellers enjoy when someone treats them that way.

I’m guessing that they send pretty much the same message (with a few differences, so it doesn’t get marked as spam by the system) to a bunch of voice over artists, and pick the cheapest one. They could also be in a hurry, since many of them have very short delivery times.

6 Likes

This definitely happens. We got a pretty hefty order a couple of weeks ago from a buyer who had left another seller’s name in the “Hi _____” part of his message at the top.

2 Likes

Not unreasonable at all! If the price structure for my services were that simple and predictable I would do the same.

I always get wary of people that are very clear only shopping for price. I put a lot of effort in my communication and briefings and when you do that you don’t want to be passed over because they found something $5 cheaper.

I used to get a lot of “this is my website, how can you improve it” and now I charge for those, which they can then deduct from the gig price if they end up doing it with me, if they decide to go elsewhere I’d still be paid for my time.

My prices are heavily discounted here on Fiverr so if you want to take advantage of that, you gotta do a bit of the legwork.

If you’re not totally comfortable going that route straight away, you could have a quick response saying the price for the script, where the actual price would be variable, followed by instructions on how to get that information by themselves next time.

1 Like

Same with translation and proofreading as we have the same “insert word count to box” system.
I suspect there is a hope that they will get a special/reduced offer or something but perhaps it is just laziness and an inability to read.

With these, I always respond with a custom offer (unless there is something I need to ask) and I would say 8 or 9/10 times I get the order.

I do also have a theory that there are sellers who, when they receive an order, ask for additional money for things so it may be offputting for buyers to just order straight away.

An example would be a query I got today to translate a website. If they have the text in a Word file then it will be my standard price, if not and they expect me to extract the text from the site then it will be a significantly higher price. For V/O the differences might be about how it’s to be read, being a list of words rather than a script etc. I take it as just a part of the job, even when there is no logic to it.

4 Likes

Like has been suggested it could be laziness or it could be they want a special offer/lower price than you list or maybe they want to be more sure, eg. that the price is specific to their requirements.

You could see whether there’s any difference in orders between giving a specific response to their word count (or other requirements) and a stock response (that asks them to look at the prices on the gig page). ie. whether the more specific response gives a higher probability of orders or not. If it does, and it still takes a couple of minutes to reply to each of those, you could maybe see if you can create a more automated (template based) way of creating the more specific replies. eg. type in a word count and it automatically generates a specific message for that that you can paste into the message box.

1 Like

Most of the people who contact me for quotes are complete time wasters. When they ask me for a quote for a 300-500 word article, it’s because they have some deranged belief that the prices stated in my gigs won’t apply to them.

Typically, I can say that my prices are as stated in my gigs or just quote them my regular amount. Then the "Oh, I already have most of the content," dance ensues.

What this usually means is that the buyer or some $5 writer they have already hired, has hand bashed a computer keyboard like a caveman, to generate 500-words of gibberish. Their belief is that I can come along with a magic wand and make whatever nonsense they have sound readable in just a few seconds. Because of this, they are shocked that my regular prices of $15 or $20 still stand.

Alternatively, I get people who send me links to sites and ask me for a quote. They assume that I will be happy to go through all their pages and figure out how much content they need. I can guarantee, though, that if I do that, I will never from them again. Either this or they will then go through their site, figure out how much content they need, and accuse me of trying to rip them off by quoting above my regular rate.

My policy is just to just send most people who ask for a quote away. This works for me as to, be honest, its orders which start out with poor communication or vague/acrobatic requests, which I always regret taking on.

3 Likes

I don’t know why they do it but you could have a pre made response with a copy of your rates by word count.

2 Likes

I’m okay with price queries generally, as Eoin said, there might be factors that would influence the price and most of my orders are via custom offers. What I could rant about is when in cases where the pricing should be perfectly clear, people then complain about it being too expensive when I tell them the exact price for their number of words when they were too lazy to do the math themselves.

However, you might want to take “clearly” out of your stock response, as it can easily be taken as an insult, so you might want to keep the clearly for special cases.
Without that, I think it would be fine as a stock response. It could potentially save you time (also shoo some buyers away (which would definitely save you time :wink: but might not be desirable always; a you can’t have your cake and eat it too situation, I suppose).

2 Likes

Correction: Sorry! I wrote unreasonable, but I meant reasonable.

You are being totally reasonable and your approach to this is great. Firm, yet polite.

Honestly, some people are really lazy and don’t like to read instructions. Some people like to make people do extra work for them (Do you really want to work for someone that entitled, anyway) and some people hope that you’ll give them a discount.

Honestly, I wouldn’t want to work for anyone who falls into any of those categories. Such a pain.

2 Likes