So many scam artists selling stolen crap

Rant or Discussion you decide.

What is up with all these scammy people getting lvl 2 sellers when all they do is resell (illegally) flash intros etc…

If you look at hmmm 90% of the search “Flash intro” all illegal reselling, this is against MOST sites that sell those things. I even seen someone selling “place your logo on this video with spiderman”. I know this guy doesn’t have rights to do that crap so why is fiverr infested with fakes like this???

I buy everything on fiverr commercially for a reason, so I can use it commercially with out fear of being SUED by some random company that actually owns the rights.

This unfortunately has driven me to look else where for flash stuffs… Not risking my neck for a 75% discount, I don’t see how fiverr allows these people to infest the site so badly.

They’re probably here because no-one reports them, just rants about them on the forum. Report them to CS. They’ll warn them or suspend them.
The good sellers (and there are many) also want scammers off the site.

Even though it is great when other sellers report them, in my opinion, it is not solely their responsibility.

If Fiverr wants to obtain/maintain a good reputation, they need to create a mechanism that screens/filters this behavior on this site.

A good reputation means more buyers. Fiverr’s responsibilities include getting and keeping buyers on the site so that good sellers can help themselves and Fiverr stay in business.

^ This. Fiverr SHOULD do this, right now however they are making 1$ off each of those scams… This however could potentially put fiverr at risk… I have seen a site get shut down (DMCA) over a copyrighted picture of a wok inside of a forum… (Not a small site either)

I do hope fiverr can cleanse this, I might waste some of my time and start helping with this by contacting fiverr over the fakes, if they don’t do anything about them (I will provide substantial evidence for them to) then I probably will contact the company that owns the stolen material and let them take the actions they deem fit over it.

A Flash Intro? Have you time-travelled from 15 years ago? :grin:

But you’re right of course. Those scammers are my competition. Not fun. This is a recent front page from Intros & Animated Logos:

Just one example. Don’t know how many sells these three together have and what the license model for this template is, but I can image those three sellers would have combined losses of above $10000, if they played by the book. But sadly, take all of those away and look at the quality of what remains…

(edit, I just checked the one with the eye, second row, middle one. With 67 reviews. The extended license - the one that let’s you resell - for this “Deep Eyes | 7 in 1 logo pack” is $66 a pop. This seller would have needed to invest 4422 dollars to be able to sell this 67 times.)

I just can’t shake the feeling that fiverr isn’t too keen on really fighting this.

Flash intro or animated intro whatever, although I was more looking for a logo reveal… Either way yeah, it is flooded with this. Even so with finding a good artists for artworks, many people just copy paste stuff together or just outright steal it.

I always ask for a portfolio, or examples of work to weed the fakes out. (Easy to do with google reverse image search.)

As far as Fiverr, since they make money from the scammers I am sure they aren’t 100% on trying to fight this, however the fact that they could get DMCA from 1 of these many companies should give them enough incentive to ensure this doesn’t happen.

You are forgetting, that Fiverr only serves as a platform for individual contractors to sell their services. So the DMCA wouldn’t be directed at Fiverr, if at all submitted.

If you Google videohive and fiverr you get some interesting results.

Fiverr’s not about getting shit done in this particular case. How did that ad go? “Do now, ask forgiveness later”. All very well when the legal blame has been wrapped up and desposited elsewhere.

I wonder how that plays out legally with a global company.

If this were a US company, with US contractors only, things like this might apply:
http://www.pashalaw.com/business-sued-independent-contractor-did/

However, with most platforms, that is not the case (where everyone is in the US), so I wonder if there are gray areas in liability because of the global aspect. I think that is why the ToS are so detailed - to delineate liability in cases like this. (The contractor agreed not to do such and such, therefore they are responsible if they did it anyway.)

The fiverr being a platform is true, but simply having those videos and files on their server would be enough.

I.E. Seller provides buyer an order, they upload that onto fiverr’s servers so the buyer can download. DMCA would be directed at this, if fiverr still ignored the DMCA, then the host of the servers will shut them down and remove it. Depending on the host this could be simple and quick, or pretty horrific (They could just delete everything.).

You may wish to read this discussion here:

I am a seller at Envato too and sometimes I see some gigs here with my flyers, I only report them in trust and safety and support will remove. In all marketplaces, we as a authors need to report them. Fiverr or other marketplaces don’t have time to search 24x7h for copyright materials.

I am agree with @capitalquality

I didn’t realize there was a way to easily do that. When did that show up in the CS form?

Fiverr does occasionally review Gigs though. It seems like they might catch a few problems before they are active. If they have time to complain about not liking a Seller’s choice of category, they certainly can spend time monitoring for scams.

There is also the problem that it’s much easier for someone to post scams than to identify and report them. Some of these people have probably been banned from the site a bunch of times before, and just keep creating new accounts. Heck, they probably just switch to one of their other accounts. That seems to be difficult to identify as well.

Fiverr’s too big to rely on a few people reporting Gigs individually.

Yes, Fiverr do check themselves and take action themselves, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t also rely on people reporting bad gigs or users when they see them. (Select the Trust and Safety ticket option from CS, and you have a questionable gig or bad user behaviour option on the report).

I also agree that some sellers will just create new accounts, but Fiverr have a way of checking IPs and not all sellers will bother to mask their IP. The new sellers are also starting from scratch, and maybe they learnt their lesson, or maybe they won’t get orders. Or maybe they will just start again and get away with it again until the next time.

My point is though that ranting on the forum definitely achieves nothing, and sitting and waiting for Fiverr to find them also definitely achieves nothing.

That is true. Although I’ve seen Gigs that are clearly suspicious, but I can’t just go around accusing them because they are clearly suspicious to me. I’d have to have proof.

Checking IPs is bad. Many people might be using the same one, and most residential ISP service in the US is dynamically addressed - the addresses are just assigned to whichever gateways are online/in use with no particular order or method. My supposed “city” changes each day, for example. There are also many less IP addresses (v4, the ones that have the four groups of numbers separated by periods), so we use things like supernetting and Port Address Translation to get all these devices online. That means the IP address info is not accurate. There is no accurate IP trace system (people who live near data centers and at the exact centers of geographic areas might be able to explain what happens in that case). I hope Fiverr is using something else.

Perhaps if you were willing to pay more than 25% the cost of a professionally done flash video, you wouldn’t run into so many scammies from *****. But this is just conjecture. Carry on.

reporting them does absolutely nothing.

Last time I tried reporting a seller like that, I sent his gig to CS and a link tot he original content they were illegally reselling.

And it went something like this:

CS: “thank you for bringing this to our attention. are you the original creator of the copyrighted material?”

Me: "No, but it’s pretty clear the seller did not make what he is selling. Fiverr’s ToS clearly state that all gigs must be user generated content, and that if the community spots copyright infringement, we need to report it.

CS: “I’m sorry but I need the original creator to contact us. Thank you for your time.”

do you fill out all the DMCA related forms in order for them to do so?

Because last time I contacted them, they were pretty dismissive.

I’m not looking for a 20% work or price. I pay my current artist 100$+ each gig. I don’t want to purchase a commercial gig to get sued for using something in a commercial project.

The company or respected copyright owner would.