Some heated discussion about Fiverr's unfair cancellation policy [ARCHIVED]

Most sellers know that having too many cancellations effects their seller level, yet Fiverr seems to hold every cancellation against sellers, even if it is not our fault.

What is YOUR opinion?

If I cancel an order on a seller, I agree that it should count against me, but lately, I had two cancellations that are counted against me and I had no involvement in them:

#1. Cancellation due to buyer having no Paypal funds??? Come on!
Just last night, I received an email from Fiverr that my order was cancelled because the buyer had no Paypal funds. Why did Fiverr even let this sale go through??? This was added to my total cancellations.

#2. On August 3rd, the buyer just changed his mind one hour after he ordered and cancelled the order before I even knew about it. Why should the cancellation count against me? I never got the chance to talk to the buyer.

I asked Customer Support to remove this cancellation from my account and was told that I have to keep it.

Bottom line: If cancellations are going to count against sellers and their levels, Fiverr needs to be more sensitive and selective about when they are added to our seller’s accounts. It is not a good policy right now and sellers should be able to appeal a cancellation, but it seems that Customer Support does not want to recognize this as an issue.

@anarchofighter, you made some good points and you and I go back a ways on this forum, but what @solidslick about the mutual cancellations, I agree with. I think Fiverr’s cancellation policy is bad as it ruins sellers from getting sales and as @solidslick said, it lowers Fiverr’s revenues as well. High cancellation rates do deter sales.

I mean, why would I buy from a seller who has 25% cancellation rate? That would tell me that something is wrong with that seller or the product.

As I said in my original post, the reasons why we have cancellations tacked on to our account is ludicrous.

Right now, if a seller gets a cancellation, it counts against us no matter what the reason, even if the buyer screwed up or has no Paypal funds, so why should we, the sellers, be penalized?

Nobodyhas had a problem with the cancellation policy?

Actually, no, this thread has nothing to do with the petition in your link. If you read my original post above, I posted specific situations where the cancellation should not count and they are not listed in the link you sent.

I am still looking for buyers to list their unfair cancellation experiences.

I believe sellers, because I am trying to get their opinion.

All I heard from Customer Support was “reverse status of the order or remove order from calculation of cancellation ratio”.

Frustrating.

Reply to @kjblynx:

What is there to be confused about?

@hotwebideas said

"If I cancel an order on a seller, I agree that it should count against me, but lately, I had two cancellations that are counted against me and I had no involvement in them:

#1. Cancellation due to buyer having no Paypal funds??? Come on!

Just last night, I received an email from Fiverr that my order was cancelled because the buyer had no Paypal funds. Why did Fiverr even let this sale go through??? This was added to my total cancellations.

#2. On August 3rd, the buyer just changed his mind one hour after he ordered and cancelled the order before I even knew about it. Why should the cancellation count against me? I never got the chance to talk to the buyer.

I asked Customer Support to remove this cancellation from my account and was told that I have to keep it.

Bottom line: If cancellations are going to count against sellers and their Levels, Fiverr needs to be more sensitive and selective about when they are added to our seller’s accounts. It is not a good policy right now and sellers should be able to appeal a cancellation, but it seems that Customer Support does not want to recognize this as an issue. - See more at: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/14445/attn-sellers-is-fiverr039s-cancellation-policy-is-unfair#sthash.ppzGdyGI.dpuf"

@kjblynx: It could NOT be any more clear!

I agree with hotwebideas 1000% as I am POSITIVE any seller will as well.

ALSO, it is NOT fair that the seller is penalized for mutual cancellations!

I had to DELETE a new gig just to be able to REMOVE a “mutual cancellation” to prevent is showing a great BIG “25% CANCELLATION RATIO” on it that fiverr support WOULD NOT REMOVE!!!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj40/123floyd321/cancellationratio_zpsfbda7a47.jpg

How FAIR is that???

If they are going to PLASTER the “cancellation ratio” all over our sellers gigs then it’s only FAIR that the sellers get to see the BUYERS “cancellation ratio” as well so we can make a INFORMED decision whether or not to even accept an order!

ALSO, “mutual cancellations” should NOT count against EITHER the buyer or seller!

That is just beyond ludicrous!

BOTTOM LINE ~ The “cancellation ratio” altogether is simply a MAJOR buyer DETERRENT and will cause a serious LACK of sales.

There is just simply NO REASON for the buyer to even see or know this information.

The “cancellation ratio” is NOT something potential customers need to see and in effect runs them off and they see enough of them they go to OTHER fiver type sites and FIVERR DOES NOT MAKE ANY MONEY!!! Neither do the sellers. The sellers lose enough sales and THEY go to other fiverr type sites. When this happens enough fiver has NO MORE BUSINESS and FIVERR DOES NOT MAKE ANY MONEY!!!

Fiver!!! WAKE UP -WHAT Is WRONG WITH YOU???

You say there is not a penalty to a cancellation but you are WRONG!!!

LOST SALES is a HUGE PENALTY whether for your sellers OR you!!!

I like the idea of Fiverr but I am put out that their organization does not deal fairly with sellers in regard to cancellations. Another vote for change.

solidslick said: I had to DELETE a new gig just to be able to REMOVE a "mutual cancellation" to prevent is showing a great BIG "25% CANCELLATION RATIO" on it that fiverr support WOULD NOT REMOVE!!!!

@solidslick, thanks, glad you agree with me. It is a shame that you had to delete a gig just because Fiverr V2 shows it. I hope they change this soon.

Bruce

Reply to @solidslick: You seem to be in the “If I say it louder” or “type if bigger” then my point is stronger club.

There are many reasons for a buyer to know the cancellation rate of a gig. There is nearly zero risk in buyers going to “fiverr clone sites” as …well, they’re not Fiverr. Fiverr is the legend platform. It’s got the infrastructure and support. Also, buyers LIKE to be informed.

If buyers are fun off from all possible sellers here, maybe it’s a questionable product? It’s strange to think that having info that shows a problem would lead people to buy where there is NO information.

Where I can agree with you is that in the ABSENCE of any kind of explanation, the information in a vacuum is noise and not something that helps buyers or sellers.

Further, I think a very real case can be made for resetting the stats. Or even, like some of the other stats, showing 30 days rolling percentages. Or even gross numbers rather than percentages. After all 1 cancellation in 10 is 10% but it’s still means only 1 person didn’t like it. And what product, …heck, even the hope diamond, won’t make every person happy.

I had a gig featuring my rabbits and it was on the front page for a very long time. 2 people bought it on accident!! Of course, they canceled and it counted against me… So if cancellations affect your being able to level up, how low does the cancellation rate have to be to get to a new level?

cassysailermoon said: So if cancellations affect your being able to level up, how low does the cancellation rate have to be to get to a new level?

Customer Support will not tell us. Either way, your 2 cancellations should not have counted against you if the buyers bought it on accident.

Mutual cancellation should not count against either the seller or buyer. It isn’t like Fiverr loses money. When their is a cancellation, they get a credit they have to use on Fiverr, not a refund.

My other thought is, this subject has been talked about quite a bit. There was even a petition with lots of signatures. It is blatantly obvious that it isn’t fair so I can’t help but to wonder what is Fiverr’s reason for treating sellers this way. Make it fair and I doubt if there would be any complaints.

Reply to @hotwebideas:

I actually don’t disagree with you. I understand that Fiverr has some thoughts and concerns about it’s brand equity and the experience of a user.

I think they simply want a buyer to be “informed”. Did you see the post where a buyer was complaining that sellers are using “cancellation” as a way to avoid his negative feedback.

(Not that position is even more “Loud and Crazy” than I saw SolidSlicks. LOL )

Having said that, expecting CS to “evaluate the why’s and what not’s” of cancellations is also too much to ask. It also requires a great deal of “user interface programming” just so a single number can be …differentiated.

You’re a level 2 seller. Clearly it’s not really an issue for you, is it?

Reply to @steveeyes:

What you said it not “exactly” true. It depends on the accounting standards they use.

They may be obligated to hold the money and not “use” any part of it (even the $1 they’re eventually entitled to).

Now I don’t know either, the point I’m making is, let’s not base our arguments on speculation.

Here’s my thought actually…

If there was going to be a designation, it has to be SIMPLE. If it’s not simple it won’t be done.

SO…

Option 1: Cancellations initiated by the buyer don’t count against the seller.

Thinking – this covers most of the issues like “mistaken order”, etc.

Option 2: Add a “reason for cancellation” drop down. And put in some categories that don’t count against sellers.

This approach will be abused; however, as a seller will say, “Hey, could you just pick … Ordered by mistake?”

Me too sick of this…My buyer cancel 20 orders because, he said now my friend is doing this. Lol…it cost me huge…I contacted CS but same…Order was cancelled by MA.

Please suggest me what to do ?

jtsoftex said: .Order was cancelled by MA.

What is MA?

anarchofighter said: You're a level 2 seller. Clearly it's not really an issue for you, is it?

Yes, it is a big issue for me. I am trying to get top rated seller and have argued with CS about it.

Reply to @hotwebideas: 'Ma knows best. ;))

On-topic: only surefire solution I can think of is to become a shareholder. Am I reading the copyright on the bottom of this page correctly? 2012?

Looks like everything’s up for grabs anyhow, dig in developers.

• abrg

I totally agree! My rating went to 98% for no reason I che4cke and there is no negative reviews!

aboredrichguy said: Looks like everything's up for grabs anyhow, dig in developers.

I am a developer too ;)