Fiverr Forum

Source File vs. Vector File

Can someone please explain to me the difference in a source file and a vector file? I am not understanding what I’ve read online.

Technically speaking they are the same thing when it comes to stuff created in Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw (software that is used for creating vectors). When it comes to Photoshop, there are no vectors, and therefore the main file is called “source file”.

I hope I got things a bit clearer for you.

Source file - Original File; file that used to create document. As a example when created flyer in Adobe Photoshop, you will get layered file when you request source file. It can edit design as your wish*.

Vector file - This is mostly used to logo, illustration or other graphic as well (eg. Text based Flyer). This can enlarge any size to without dropping quality. (These type small sized design can use to large hoarding without dropping quality) But if it is raster file, when enlarging, it lose quality.

*You need to have such program and knowledge do edit.

Source file : this is the common word we are using to call to finalized editable files. such as ( .PSD, .AI, etc )
these source files will include the main editable file of the design and the font files which used as components of the design.

Vector file : this is just an extension for the output of illustration work. this is also one of source files. if you get a draw or logo design on illustrator software you can get a vector file(editable file) which is support to do any manipulation for the design and enlarge the design as you want.however you need to have Illustrator software to open this file.

hope you got a bit explanation. :slight_smile:

All of your responses were super helpful! Thanks!!

Source Files: Original File. The original, layered design file allows you to make future edits to the design. the designer, have used to create your designs. The more well-known files include Adobe’s Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.
As a graphic designer at fiverr they offer to buyer source file like as (Ai. EPS and PSD File)

Vector file: Only accessible and editable Adobe illustrator. EPS file is a vector file of a graphic. vector graphics to be scaled to any size without sacrificing image quality as well as maintain a small file size