Can someone please explain to me the difference in a source file and a vector file? I am not understanding what I’ve read online.
Technically speaking they are the same thing when it comes to stuff created in Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw (software that is used for creating vectors). When it comes to Photoshop, there are no vectors, and therefore the main file is called “source file”.
I hope I got things a bit clearer for you.
Source file - Original File; file that used to create document. As a example when created flyer in Adobe Photoshop, you will get layered file when you request source file. It can edit design as your wish*.
Vector file - This is mostly used to logo, illustration or other graphic as well (eg. Text based Flyer). This can enlarge any size to without dropping quality. (These type small sized design can use to large hoarding without dropping quality) But if it is raster file, when enlarging, it lose quality.
*You need to have such program and knowledge do edit.
Source file : this is the common word we are using to call to finalized editable files. such as ( .PSD, .AI, etc )
these source files will include the main editable file of the design and the font files which used as components of the design.
Vector file : this is just an extension for the output of illustration work. this is also one of source files. if you get a draw or logo design on illustrator software you can get a vector file(editable file) which is support to do any manipulation for the design and enlarge the design as you want.however you need to have Illustrator software to open this file.
hope you got a bit explanation.
All of your responses were super helpful! Thanks!!
Source Files: Original File. The original, layered design file allows you to make future edits to the design. the designer, have used to create your designs. The more well-known files include Adobe’s Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.
As a graphic designer at fiverr they offer to buyer source file like as (Ai. EPS and PSD File)
Vector file: Only accessible and editable Adobe illustrator. EPS file is a vector file of a graphic. vector graphics to be scaled to any size without sacrificing image quality as well as maintain a small file size
I am new in Graphics Design and Fiverr.I need to know what is EPS.
Sorry to say, but if you’re a NEW GRAPHIC DESIGNER, you should know the difference, don’t you think…it makes me think to whether you are a Graphic Designer, or pretending to be one…HELPPPP!!
Apart from that, you just opened a 2-year-old thread from 2017??
Also, your new Fiverr colleagues explained it perfectly on the comments above…good luck!!
Even if you are new those are the bare minimum basics that you need to know in graphic design.
I recommend to start educating yourself on the matter so you wouldn’t get into trouble later on and don’t let down your clients.
very nice explanation
• Original Layered File
• Free Font and Licensed Font. (Make sure the Licensed font and Free font you’re providing to your client is not only allowed for commercially use, but you also have rights to sell it.)
• Stock Photos (Both free and Licensed). Make sure you do not provide those stock photos which is not allowed for sell.
• Stock Graphics.
• This is a output of source file which is usually a flat layer. Everything in this vector file has to be expanded before delivering it to the client so when the client open that vector file, he/she can not be able to play with font and stock items.
• Vector file can be used for future designing project, such as stationery Design, Billboard design, poster and flyer design. Instead of using PNG, SVG file is ideal for such work without compromising with quality.
• Feel free to give vector file to your client because you’re not selling stock item, font, or any linked file with source file directly.