Fiverr Community Forum

Stop Making Up Advice

Please stop telling people in the forum that commenting in the forum will get them sales.

Please stop telling people to post their gigs in social media every day.

Please stop making up conspiracy theories about why you aren’t getting sales and sharing them here.

Please stop telling people that they’ll rank well as long as they use the right keywords.

Please stop telling people to respond to 10 Buyer Requests every day.

This is all terrible advice and it’s really harmful to promote this kind of ignorance. Don’t give advice unless you know what you’re talking about, it’s rooted in how business actually works and there is evidence that it works.

Why do people make this stuff up? Are you trying to look smart? To become influential in the forum?

44 Likes

Ignorance reigns in the world. Some advices you listed could be ok for getting first sales, but the way you work, build your brand, and the networking really matter, in my humble opinion. Everything else is just a tool.

3 Likes

Yesterday I came across a post where someone was claiming that posting your gigs on social media increased your impressions.

False information gets thrown around so much here, a lot of new sellers end up believing it. It’s crazy.

4 Likes

Clearly, you are working with the Reptilians and don’t want anyone uncovering any more of your algorithmic secrets. :wink:

Personally, I hate the ‘pray for me’ posts the most. I don’t think that it is beyond comprehension that God might have other prayers to answer first. Also, you don’t know who someone will be praying to for you, even if they oblige your request.

Right now there could be an irate shaman practicing all kinds of horrible voodoo on people. Possibly, that’s why we hear from so few of them after their first prayer request… :thinking:

In either case, it’s a forum, not a place of worship.

21 Likes

Thanks for your comment. The plural of advice is advice because the word is plural. “Advices” isn’t a word.

Even if some of this advice helped someone get a sale, it would still be in appropriate because it’s unethical to put these things into practice and a poor investment of time and energy. There’s also no evidence that any of this works and no reason to think that it does, but every day sellers here are saying that it will bring people sales. It’s morally wrong to make promises like that.

2 Likes

The “pray for me” posts are so annoying. Since when did begging for pity get anyone a sale and why on earth would others want to see that?! Ugh.

At least no one is advising people to ask for prayers.

13 Likes

I agree with you on that. Advice is morally wrong if you promise something that you really don’t know can happen. Anyway, my opinion is that, learning from who made a great job and has great visibility on Fiverr, is the best way to increase your success probability.

That doesn’t surprise me at all. It doesn’t even make sense because impressions refers to people seeing you in gig results, not to people viewing your gig itself, which is a view, not an impression.

Even if they got the terminology right, sharing a link only works if people want to open it. A lot of people here don’t want to understand that. They want a guarantee that if they do x step it will achieve x result.

2 Likes

She hasn’t listed any “advices” that are going to help sellers get orders. :thinking: She has only listed don’ts. :wink:

BTW, blindly sharing gigs on social media everyday or applying to 10 random BRs a day are not effective ways of getting an order. Even if you end up receiving an order or two (by blindly posting gigs on social media everyday and/or blindly applying to random BRs in the BR tab), it probably has more to do with luck than anything else. :thinking:

7 Likes

Thanks for your comment. To clarify, I think he was rebutting, saying that some of my don’ts were actually dos in certain circumstances.

It is the quality of the activity that drives the result, but sellers who act this way just want to get business based on quantity: ie) I sent 400 Buyer Requests, therefore I should get an order. Well, no. You’ll get an order if you take the time and effort to make tailored, professional pitches based on the buyer’s needs. I have no idea why this is such a difficult concept for people.

1 Like

Social Media and Buyer Requests are proven to get you more sales.

Being a leader in this community is proven to help you achieve TRS.

You will rank well if your gig has the correct keywords and description.

All of these messages are also pushed by Fiverr.

1 Like

OP said posting gigs every day on social media, not advertising gigs once in a while where you target customers are. And for buyers request, same thing. If you reply to request that you can do it, it is fine, but many sellers are replying with template messages 10 times a day, that’s why OP said about buyer request.

I don’t think this is connected with TRS at all. Many TRS doesn’t go on forum, or even doin anything outside of fiverr (social media)

That might be true, even what is actually proven by many sellers, that rank depends on your performance (even sometimes performance isn’t enough for rank as well)

7 Likes

All of what you posted is true but none of it is the advocacy that I refer to.

For example, I’m talking about the people who are saying to merely posting on the forum is what brings you sales. No. You can become become influential absolutely, but that is only based on the strength of your insights, not on how frequently and pervasively you post in the forum, which is what people are saying.

Same with Buyer Requests. You only get business there if your pitches are actually valuable and tailored not simply because you sent 10 copy/paste replies every day, which is what people are doing and advising people do. They’re saying to post BRs for the sake of it because eventually if you send enough of them you’ll get some bites. No. Not at all. And it’s extremely unethical to suggest that is the case.

The advice I’m referring to says that quantity of these actions is what gets you sales. No. They can only help you if they have quality and if your gigs themselves have quality and are in demand.

1 Like

Social media works when it’s done correctly. Creating a profile on any of the major platforms, giving away valuable information about your niche for free, establishing yourself as an expert in the field, to the point where people want to see your work, and click your link out of genuine curiosity or a desire to hire you.

Unfortunately, what you get is “Check out my gig…” posted to Twitter about once every second or two. Which not only does nothing for the seller that’s posting the Tweet, but actually damages the Fiverr brand overall in the eyes of both the social media companies, and the people who operate there.

I’ve read a couple of people lately saying that they can’t use paid ads on Facebook or LinkedIn if it contains a Fiverr link.

9 Likes

Thank you. Every day I see spam on Twitter for Fiverr sellers. Every. Single. Day. If you look at their Profile all it is is links to their gig in Tweet after Tweet after Tweet. Then if you look at their mentions tab it’s full of them spamming their gigs to individuals, even spamming it in conversation threads. Terrible advice about social media in this forum perpetuates the idea that this is appropriate and effective and it makes ALL of us look bad.

Plus, I can’t tell you how annoying it is to have to sift through this spam on Twitter.

I was clearly referring to “spray and pray” practices, not thoughtful, insightful marketing, but I guess the message didn’t get through…

6 Likes

No it wasn’t clear at all, I’m afraid.

3 Likes

“As long as they use the right keywords.”

It’s very clear that I’m referring to an illogical, absolute assertion that the right keywords guarantees ranking. It wouldn’t make sense to conclude from this that I meant keywords won’t help you. Of course they will and of course they are important. But using the right ones does not guarantee ranking, hence “as long as.”

“Commenting on the forum will get them sales.”

Note my use of the word will. You can’t say an absolute like will unless it is an absolute. No, you are not guaranteed sales by posting in the forum.

And posting your gigs on social media every day is never a good idea. Ever. That’s not how social media drives leads. It actually achieves the opposite.

@personalletters I don’t think this is true at all. Having correct keywords is only going to help prospective buyers find your gigs quickly! This, however, is not going to help your gigs rank better in Fiverr’s search.

Good keywords are great at helping prospective buyers find your gigs: buyers (searching by keywords) are going to find it easier to look for a keyword-optimized gig that’s indexed on the 10th page than look for an unoptimized gig that’s indexed on the fourth page.

TL; DR: Good keywords are not going to help your gigs rank better. They are only going to make your gigs easier to find for your prospective buyers (if they do a keyword search on Fiverr).

3 Likes

They are DOs as I read, advice from other sellers. Advice is everywhere, ignorance always reigns as mentioned, but to complain of ignorance is as useless. People do not change, and they will always continue to post something (tips, their own experiences, success stories) for some visibility. This doesn’t just happen here, but on any social network. And we will always find people ready to criticize or correct someone for writing a wrong word.

Thank you. It is the performance that makes the impact, not the mere participation in the activity, which is clearly what I was objecting to.

2 Likes