Stung on my first gig!

idfatigue

Hi there Fiverers, I’m real new here so thought I’d say hi and share my first gig experience. Had a guy wanting some proofing and agreed on 120 dollars. Great. Four hours work - not bad. Then when the money comes in its 80 dollars. He showed me a receipt showing he’d paid 120. When I query it with support they say he paid Aussie dollars… What?
Yeah, that’s right. He’s looking at Aussie dollars, and I’m talking US dollars. …
I’m just… like… What?!
So I ask, what did I miss? Where’s the link telling me that happens?
Hmm… well there isn’t one.
Jeeez…

Buyers may pay on Fiverr in several different currencies. Unless stated otherwise, you will be charged in the currency displayed on the Order page. In certain cases, however, when certain currencies are not supported by certain payment methods, you will be charged in US$ even if the price is displayed in another currency. In any event, the actual charged amount (in the actual payment currency) will be clearly disclosed to you before you complete the Order.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

“I do this with blog posts, non-fiction books, academic articles,”

Suggest you remove “academic articles” from your gig description (copied) above as helping with academic work is against the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

Enjoy the forum. 🙂

Buyers may pay on Fiverr in several different currencies. Unless stated otherwise, you will be charged in the currency displayed on the Order page. In certain cases, however, when certain currencies are not supported by certain payment methods, you will be charged in US$ even if the price is displayed in another currency. In any event, the actual charged amount (in the actual payment currency) will be clearly disclosed to you before you complete the Order.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

“I do this with blog posts, non-fiction books, academic articles,”

Suggest you remove “academic articles” from your gig description (copied) above as helping with academic work is against the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

Enjoy the forum. 🙂

I had a client in Canada complain he paid more than my gig price, and it was due to Canadian dollars being worth less than US dollars. So if Australian dollar is worth more, maybe we get paid in our US dollars a lesser amount.

Still wouldn’t the difference be made up by the client paying fewer Aussie dollars rather than it coming out of a seller’s amount?

OP make sure your account is set to US dollars. There is some place you can choose what currency you want.

I give. Does anyone know where you set your accounts currency? I have searched and no luck.

I thought it was automatic based on your location. 😕

I thought it was automatic based on your location

This is kinda true. If you have your currency set to something that’s not used at your location, Fiverr sometimes reverts it back to the “default currency” for your location (thankfully, you at least get a notification message pop up on your screen when that happens).

Does anyone know where you set your accounts currency?

Just go to Fiverr’s homepage or your dashboard and scroll down to the bottom of the page (while logged in). There you will have a drop-down box on the bottom right where you can change/set the default currency that you would like to use.

Thank you hanshuber16. I am sorry, I should have said, is there anything I need to change to have my gig in US $.

is there anything I need to change to have my gig in US $.

Nahh… Just go to the place that I mentioned earlier and select USD from the drop-down box. It’s as simple as that.

Please note that this, however, WILL NOT change the currency of your earnings on this platform that get credited to your bank/PayPal/Payoneer account (which is set to USD by default). Doing this will only change the currency is which gigs’ prices and the prices of custom offers/orders and your Fiverr credit/balance are displayed in.

is there anything I need to change to have my gig in US $.

Nahh… Just go to the place that I mentioned earlier and select USD from the drop-down box. It’s as simple as that.

Please note that this, however, WILL NOT change the currency of your earnings on this platform that get credited to your bank/PayPal/Payoneer account (which is set to USD by default). Doing this will only change the currency is which gigs’ prices and the prices of custom offers/orders and your Fiverr credit/balance are displayed in.

Most kind Sir, thank you.

interesting. something smells fishy here. If you are the seller quoting the price for your work, it should make absolutely no difference what currency the buyer is using, in my opinion. The currency conversion should occur automatically for the buyer via simple math calculation done by the fiverr site. Checking Google for the conversion, it says USD $120 = AUS $169. However, flipped backwards AUS $120 = USD $84, which sounds close to your scenario. For whatever reason, you were speaking in US dollars, but fiverr took your number and showed it in the buyer’s currency, effectively misquoting your price and leaving you missing roughly 30% of your gig value. I call foul play, but I haven’t had this happen to me so I don’t know if maybe there is a setting in your profile that handles this conversion, and you have it set otherwise? Definitely sucks.

Archived