Suddenly, lots of people want to pay 20-30% of my quotation

Maybe I’m making a tricky question here, but by analysing Fiverr GIG offers around the website I see that the platform offers since the most cheap GIGs to the Studios and Pro Services. I don’t know if the rest of the freelancers in my area of expertise (voice over artists and content producers) or other areas are facing the same problem…

My prices are public, like prices from everyone who has a GIG published for sale. Everyone can check what I charge and everyone can check the services that I provide, regarding the several samples available to listen at my profile. For me, each time that a client send me a message regarding a specific project it’s a blessing for me and an opportunity to show the value of my work and what I can do to make a difference. Until now, everything is ok.

But, recently I started to receive several inquires about projects where people demand a lot of work and several skills are needed to complete those tasks. Everytime that I’m qualified to do it I send samples of previous and similar jobs, so my clients can understand what I can offer and I’m always available to discuss everything in detail. But, honestly, it’s very sad when I give a detailed quotation for very specific projects and:

a) People don’t even answer;
b) People just want a quotation but are not available to actually discuss the project;
c) People offer 20-30% of my quotation and demand even more work to be done, for free.

I believe that every chance to talk with a client is an opportunity to spread our skills to the world and give our best service at a fair price. Regarding the potential clients that answer to my quotations, what I don’t understand is why every single week (and it’s increasing) people want and try to convince me to give a high quality job almost for free. There are lots of types of GIGs around here and people really insist in working with me for specific tasks, but they don’t want to pay. Sometimes it happens twice a day. I do my best to try to educate my customers, but I feel that I’m stuck here. I’m a freelance who can provide a high quality work and that work have a price, a fair one.

I’m making my analisys, but I’m looking for advice from the most experienced freelancers to deal better with this… Is there anything else that I can do regarding what I’m doing already? Please give me your best advice. Thank you.

I’m not experienced, so I can’t really contribute, but based on the chatter I’ve seen here in the forums, yes, this is common.
From what I’ve read, most seem to deal with this in a proactive manner. Knowing what to say and how to respond to these in advance and knowing what your own boundaries for tolerance are and sticking to them.

I’m not experienced, so I can’t really contribute, but based on the chatter I’ve seen here in the forums, yes, this is common.

From what I’ve read, most seem to deal with this in a proactive manner. Knowing what to say and how to respond to these in advance and knowing what your own boundaries for tolerance are and sticking to them.

@imagination7413 Even if you are not experienced your contribution is more than welcome. So, thank you for your comment. And yes, I believe that this is totally related with boundaries and tolerance. I simply cannot accept to work for 20-30% of my regular price.

Regarding my area of expertise, I already adapted my prices to this platform and they are bellow the media of prices that people with my experience charge regularly. Besides that, in my country I have to pay around 30% of my income to the government in taxes, just not to mention the currency conversion tax too.

I think people must try to respect freelancers and look beyond their own reality. Being a freelance doesn’t mean that you are desperated waiting for an opportunity to earn 5 bucks. It means that you also have a family and you have to put food on the table and pay bills too. Quality has a price, a fair one. Trying to take advantage on people just because they are freelancers is mean.

@imagination7413 Even if you are not experienced your contribution is more than welcome. So, thank you for your comment. And yes, I believe that this is totally related with boundaries and tolerance. I simply cannot accept to work for 20-30% of my regular price.

Regarding my area of expertise, I already adapted my prices to this platform and they are bellow the media of prices that people with my experience charge regularly. Besides that, in my country I have to pay around 30% of my income to the government in taxes, just not to mention the currency conversion tax too.

I think people must try to respect freelancers and look beyond their own reality. Being a freelance doesn’t mean that you are desperated waiting for an opportunity to earn 5 bucks. It means that you also have a family and you have to put food on the table and pay bills too. Quality has a price, a fair one. Trying to take advantage on people just because they are freelancers is mean.

Hi! We occupy a very similar niche and imagine we get a lot of the same sorts of buyers. It’s been my experience that people want to dramatically undercut me, too. I think it’s some form of haggling–like I’ll come back with 90% of my asking price and they’ll settle for 75% of my asking price. It’s bogus, of course. I charge what I charge.

Recently, I’ve changed the way that I’ve handled these types of inquiries and it has been successful. I do not budge an inch. Never. No way. When someone wants a quote, I give them an itemized list, e.g. with your wordcount the total comes to $x to be delivered in y days. If you need it faster, that’s an additional charge of $x, bringing your total to $x.

Of course they argue. Can I get it cheaper? No. You can’t. This is my rate. A surprising number of these inquiries later turned into orders at my full price and five star reviews. It’s easy to be frustrated at someone trying to dramatically undercut you, but in my experience, being firm (rather than giving in or dismissing them) has led to more sales.

Maybe I’m making a tricky question here, but by analysing Fiverr GIG offers around the website I see that the platform offers since the most cheap GIGs to the Studios and Pro Services. I don’t know if the rest of the freelancers in my area of expertise (voice over artists and content producers) or other areas are facing the same problem…

My prices are public, like prices from everyone who has a GIG published for sale. Everyone can check what I charge and everyone can check the services that I provide, regarding the several samples available to listen at my profile. For me, each time that a client send me a message regarding a specific project it’s a blessing for me and an opportunity to show the value of my work and what I can do to make a difference. Until now, everything is ok.

But, recently I started to receive several inquires about projects where people demand a lot of work and several skills are needed to complete those tasks. Everytime that I’m qualified to do it I send samples of previous and similar jobs, so my clients can understand what I can offer and I’m always available to discuss everything in detail. But, honestly, it’s very sad when I give a detailed quotation for very specific projects and:

b) People just want a quotation but are not available to actually discuss the project;

c) People offer 20-30% of my quotation and demand even more work to be done, for free.

I believe that every chance to talk with a client is an opportunity to spread our skills to the world and give our best service at a fair price. Regarding the potential clients that answer to my quotations, what I don’t understand is why every single week (and it’s increasing) people want and try to convince me to give a high quality job almost for free. There are lots of types of GIGs around here and people really insist in working with me for specific tasks, but they don’t want to pay. Sometimes it happens twice a day. I do my best to try to educate my customers, but I feel that I’m stuck here. I’m a freelance who can provide a high quality work and that work have a price, a fair one.

I’m making my analisys, but I’m looking for advice from the most experienced freelancers to deal better with this… Is there anything else that I can do regarding what I’m doing already? Please give me your best advice. Thank you.

I believe that every chance to talk with a client is an opportunity to spread our skills to the world and give our best service at a fair price.

This is not a good way to look at this.

If people don’t want to pay your rates, tell them you can’t help. Don’t try to negotiate, don’t even look at these people like buyers. In the vast majority of cases, these people are resellers who want high-quality work at low prices, so that they can make more $$$'s selling what you give them.

These people do not give their clients discounts. They want to make as much money as possible, and they don’t care one iota about you.

You can test this by politely telling these people that after Fiverr’s commission, taxes, and other charges, you make less tan 70% on each order. This being the case, your prices are already as low as they can be.

Every time I point this out, people like this switch from being friendly to "you are not the only writer on Fiverr," or come back with similar jibes.

It can seem like a pain turning down work. However, the more time you spend trying to appease cheapskates, the less time and energy you have to devote to better quality clients.

People who can see that you charge X, but message you anyway to ask to pay less are timewasters. There is also a higher likelihood that they will be difficult to work with.

Hi! We occupy a very similar niche and imagine we get a lot of the same sorts of buyers. It’s been my experience that people want to dramatically undercut me, too. I think it’s some form of haggling–like I’ll come back with 90% of my asking price and they’ll settle for 75% of my asking price. It’s bogus, of course. I charge what I charge.

Recently, I’ve changed the way that I’ve handled these types of inquiries and it has been successful. I do not budge an inch. Never. No way. When someone wants a quote, I give them an itemized list, e.g. with your wordcount the total comes to $x to be delivered in y days. If you need it faster, that’s an additional charge of $x, bringing your total to $x.

Of course they argue. Can I get it cheaper? No. You can’t. This is my rate. A surprising number of these inquiries later turned into orders at my full price and five star reviews. It’s easy to be frustrated at someone trying to dramatically undercut you, but in my experience, being firm (rather than giving in or dismissing them) has led to more sales.

I’ve changed the way that I’ve handled these types of inquiries and it has been successful. I do not budge an inch. Never. No way.

That is the only way to do it. Stop lowering your price. There is no reason to haggle bargain or negotiate. Why hurt yourself that way? Why be so desperate?

I’m sure you guys are already as inexpensive as it can get anyway.

@sixthsea Thank you so so much for posting this. It’s good to know that I’m not alone on this, but it’s also sad. Everytime people ask me a quotation I also give them an itemized list with the delivery time too and additional options that they can add, if they want.

Most of the times people say “Oh, for that I will pay you only $10”, for example, and I try to educate them explaining that the only way I will cut on my price is for large (very large) orders, otherwise that would not be fair to my other customers. I also explain that my business is builded and based in credibility. If John, Maria, Pablo or Charles ask me a quotation with the same specifications and number of words to record, my price will be exactly the same. That’s how I work and I’m stick to it. And I explain what kind of quality I provide. A few of these clients come back again, but just a few, unfortunately.

But I had already two funny situations when clients asked for a quotation that they refused and prefered to hire a non native person to do a translation for a voice over at a cheapest price and then they came back to me to hire me just to do the voice over, but the text was full of mistakes, because it was automatically translated or the accent was wrong. In both situations they asked me to correct the text for free and pay just for the voice over task. I refused. They ended paying the total amount that I asked for. But this happened just twice.

If you have more advices that can help me to deal with this, I really (really) appreciate your help.

@sixthsea Thank you so so much for posting this. It’s good to know that I’m not alone on this, but it’s also sad. Everytime people ask me a quotation I also give them an itemized list with the delivery time too and additional options that they can add, if they want.

Most of the times people say “Oh, for that I will pay you only $10”, for example, and I try to educate them explaining that the only way I will cut on my price is for large (very large) orders, otherwise that would not be fair to my other customers. I also explain that my business is builded and based in credibility. If John, Maria, Pablo or Charles ask me a quotation with the same specifications and number of words to record, my price will be exactly the same. That’s how I work and I’m stick to it. And I explain what kind of quality I provide. A few of these clients come back again, but just a few, unfortunately.

But I had already two funny situations when clients asked for a quotation that they refused and prefered to hire a non native person to do a translation for a voice over at a cheapest price and then they came back to me to hire me just to do the voice over, but the text was full of mistakes, because it was automatically translated or the accent was wrong. In both situations they asked me to correct the text for free and pay just for the voice over task. I refused. They ended paying the total amount that I asked for. But this happened just twice.

If you have more advices that can help me to deal with this, I really (really) appreciate your help.

Why bother to go into an explanation? Just say no. No explanation of why you won’t lower your price is needed.

I don’t want to try to work with anyone who says they want a discount. I would prefer they find another seller they can afford.

The itemised list method is one we’ve used for a long time now and it works really well, we use it on every single quote we send out. Providing low-cost/higher cost options works really well also.

We also refuse to budge on price. The only time we haggle is if it’s a significantly large project where we might give away a Gig extra at a reduced rate or even free. But other than that, our prices are what they are, and clients can choose to pay them or not.

We’ve definitely noticed that culturally, some people expect us to haggle, and I often wonder if they’re a bit bewildered by our refusal. We had a guy earlier this week ask for a quote, which came to $130 for a 3-day delivery. He immediately came back with “Make it $130 for same-day delivery and you’ve got a deal”, to which we politely re-sent our original, 3-day quote. We haven’t heard from him since. Perhaps we’re seen as not ‘playing the game’, so to speak? But in my experience, every deal like that where we’ve haggled has turned out to be a nightmare. I’d rather wait for the clients who see the value in our services to pay our rates.

I believe that every chance to talk with a client is an opportunity to spread our skills to the world and give our best service at a fair price.

This is not a good way to look at this.

If people don’t want to pay your rates, tell them you can’t help. Don’t try to negotiate, don’t even look at these people like buyers. In the vast majority of cases, these people are resellers who want high-quality work at low prices, so that they can make more $$$'s selling what you give them.

These people do not give their clients discounts. They want to make as much money as possible, and they don’t care one iota about you.

You can test this by politely telling these people that after Fiverr’s commission, taxes, and other charges, you make less tan 70% on each order. This being the case, your prices are already as low as they can be.

Every time I point this out, people like this switch from being friendly to "you are not the only writer on Fiverr," or come back with similar jibes.

It can seem like a pain turning down work. However, the more time you spend trying to appease cheapskates, the less time and energy you have to devote to better quality clients.

People who can see that you charge X, but message you anyway to ask to pay less are timewasters. There is also a higher likelihood that they will be difficult to work with.

@cyaxrex I don’t negociate my prices. I see any contact like an opportunity to show my value. Like I said before I just cut on prices for very (very large) orders.

I have lots of clients telling me that I’m not the only voice over artist on Fiverr most of the times that I refuse to give them a discount.

I totally agree with this. I was just trying tro understand if it worth it or not to try to show them the quality of my work and that what they are paying justifies that.

Why bother to go into an explanation? Just say no. No explanation of why you won’t lower your price is needed.

I don’t want to try to work with anyone who says they want a discount. I would prefer they find another seller they can afford.

That’s a very good point of view, actually. Thanks.

The key is that I never want to appear desperate for work. The way you handled yourself in the bottom two situations is absolutely perfect; you refused to budge, and they paid the full price. Have I lost business by refusing to lower my prices? Absolutely. But the work that I do get is satisfying–and, looking at my analytics, I’m actually making more money from fewer orders.

It can be easy to feel like you’re doing something wrong when the potential client doesn’t reply or refuses to pay, but ask yourself what’s worse: working for someone who is going to nickel and dime you and make you miserable, or saving yourself to work for someone who respects your wages?

The itemised list method is one we’ve used for a long time now and it works really well, we use it on every single quote we send out. Providing low-cost/higher cost options works really well also.

We also refuse to budge on price. The only time we haggle is if it’s a significantly large project where we might give away a Gig extra at a reduced rate or even free. But other than that, our prices are what they are, and clients can choose to pay them or not.

We’ve definitely noticed that culturally, some people expect us to haggle, and I often wonder if they’re a bit bewildered by our refusal. We had a guy earlier this week ask for a quote, which came to $130 for a 3-day delivery. He immediately came back with “Make it $130 for same-day delivery and you’ve got a deal”, to which we politely re-sent our original, 3-day quote. We haven’t heard from him since. Perhaps we’re seen as not ‘playing the game’, so to speak? But in my experience, every deal like that where we’ve haggled has turned out to be a nightmare. I’d rather wait for the clients who see the value in our services to pay our rates.

Totally. And I totally refuse to work with someone who is always changing his mind and refusing to pay each time he is adding an additional task to his quotation request.

Your prices are your prices. I imagine you have studied your market and competitors and you have placed those prices based on what you believe your work is worth. So stick to your prices, and inform clients why your work justifies those prices. Discounts are based on your discretion, but don’t feel like customers only want cheap services, on the contrary, if you can show clients why your work is worth more, they would be happy to pay higher prices. good luck 👍

I actually feel that my prices are less than half what they should be already and wish others in my category would raise their prices and not be so cheap. Mine are at the top of the price range and are still so cheap but the others just pull me down to a lower level than we all should be at. I find it sad.

Why top rated sellers have $5 gigs is beyond me. It’s their own business of course but makes no sense unless they are aiming to try to get $5 buyers to pay more after the $5 sale.

@cyaxrex I don’t negociate my prices. I see any contact like an opportunity to show my value. Like I said before I just cut on prices for very (very large) orders.

I have lots of clients telling me that I’m not the only voice over artist on Fiverr most of the times that I refuse to give them a discount.

I totally agree with this. I was just trying tro understand if it worth it or not to try to show them the quality of my work and that what they are paying justifies that.

I totally agree with this. I was just trying tro understand if it worth it or not to try to show them the quality of my work

I’d say it’s not a good idea to do this. If people are resellers, they are not going to recommend you to others or buy from you if you don’t give them the price they want, All that might happen is that they use samples you give them in their own portfolios or to share with their own clients.

By comparison, people who pay your regular rates often will recommend you to others.

But in my experience, every deal like that where we’ve haggled has turned out to be a nightmare. I’d rather wait for the clients who see the value in our services to pay our rates.

Yep. Nightmares with wheels on most of the time. 😦

The key is that I never want to appear desperate for work. The way you handled yourself in the bottom two situations is absolutely perfect; you refused to budge, and they paid the full price. Have I lost business by refusing to lower my prices? Absolutely. But the work that I do get is satisfying–and, looking at my analytics, I’m actually making more money from fewer orders.

It can be easy to feel like you’re doing something wrong when the potential client doesn’t reply or refuses to pay, but ask yourself what’s worse: working for someone who is going to nickel and dime you and make you miserable, or saving yourself to work for someone who respects your wages?

The key is that I never want to appear desperate for work. The way you handled yourself in the bottom two situations is absolutely perfect; you refused to budge, and they paid the full price.

And I keep doing it, of course.

Have I lost business by refusing to lower my prices? Absolutely. But the work that I do get is satisfying–and, looking at my analytics, I’m actually making more money from fewer orders.

In my case it’s different, but my market is different. The Portuguese market has much less opportunities on Fiverr from what I can see.

I totally agree with you and thank you so much for mention that.

I actually feel that my prices are less than half what they should be already and wish others in my category would raise their prices and not be so cheap. Mine are at the top of the price range and are still so cheap but the others just pull me down to a lower level than we all should be at. I find it sad.

Why top rated sellers have $5 gigs is beyond me. It’s their own business of course but makes no sense unless they are aiming to try to get $5 buyers to pay more after the $5 sale.

I feel exactly the same, believe me.

I feel exactly the same, believe me.

I’ve had my clients laugh at and mock other sellers for having such cheap prices.

I don’t mean just in my category but in general. Why do sellers who have been here over a year with lots of great reviews still have such low prices? They are still charging what people on fiverr charged ten years ago. This is 2020. Raise your ridiculous prices!

I totally agree with this. I was just trying tro understand if it worth it or not to try to show them the quality of my work

I’d say it’s not a good idea to do this. If people are resellers, they are not going to recommend you to others or buy from you if you don’t give them the price they want, All that might happen is that they use samples you give them in their own portfolios or to share with their own clients.

By comparison, people who pay your regular rates often will recommend you to others.

But in my experience, every deal like that where we’ve haggled has turned out to be a nightmare. I’d rather wait for the clients who see the value in our services to pay our rates.

Yep. Nightmares with wheels on most of the time. 😦

That happened with a client that I had. He was naming my samples to send to his clients and everytime he was ordering with me he was sending me my own file with a different name and asking the same intonation. Suddenly he started to place orders without the commercial rights and I refused to proceed with the orders without being paid properly. The client just started to threatening me and I had to report the situation to CS.

I’ve had my clients laugh at and mock other sellers for having such cheap prices.

I don’t mean just in my category but in general. Why do sellers who have been here over a year with lots of great reviews still have such low prices? They are still charging what people on fiverr charged ten years ago. This is 2020. Raise your ridiculous prices!

Totally! Recently someone suggested me to change my GIGs in a different way. Like, for example, I charge $5 for each 100 words of recording and people was telling me that if I changed the initial price to $10 for 200 words I would notice a huge difference on the type of clients who would order from me, because it would work as a filter. I must confess that I’m afraid to try but I’m planning to try it this year just to see what happens.

Fiverr is known for cheap labour and people expect this. Most of them are trying to get a rip-off. This is the customer base, you can’t control it, only by learning what to say and how to motivate them.

Fiverr is known for cheap labour and people expect this.

I, for one, am neither cheap, nor do my target customers expect me to be. Fiverr is many things, to many different buyers and sellers. Please don’t make assumptions, and try to fit all buyers/sellers into one mold.

Most of them are trying to get a rip-off.

It is also wise not to assume that most buyers are scammers. That isn’t true either.

I’ve changed the way that I’ve handled these types of inquiries and it has been successful. I do not budge an inch. Never. No way.

That is the only way to do it. Stop lowering your price. There is no reason to haggle bargain or negotiate. Why hurt yourself that way? Why be so desperate?

I’m sure you guys are already as inexpensive as it can get anyway.

I’m so desperate 😭 @misscrystal

Fiverr is known for cheap labour and people expect this.

I, for one, am neither cheap, nor do my target customers expect me to be. Fiverr is many things, to many different buyers and sellers. Please don’t make assumptions, and try to fit all buyers/sellers into one mold.

Most of them are trying to get a rip-off.

It is also wise not to assume that most buyers are scammers. That isn’t true either.

Act as wise as you want, but the market price for any service outside Fiverr is equal with the Fiverr Pro. And most people are buying from normal users which are at least twice as cheap.

Archived