Fiverr Forum

Suggestion to 5er: Screen out "hi" Messages

Almost every day, I get a message that just says “hi”. And I’m obligated to answer this to maintain a good response rate. How about requiring “buyers” to ask real questions? Not just one word? Especially not “hi”. All these dumb messages eventually get taken down as spam. So why not nip it in the bud? Screen out one-word messages, especially “hi”.

7 Likes

That would be wonderful, actually. But technically, “Are you online?” would pass that filter and it’s just a more elaborate “hiiiiiiiii” in disguise.

1 Like

I have actually gotten a couple of sales from “hi” messages but it’s very rare. It doesn’t hurt to respond in a friendly way to see what they want if anything.

1 Like

An automated response saying “bye” would be a God-send.

6 Likes

Someone who started out that way has been messaging me as if he wants to buy since October 2017. He got blocked today finally. I sent him yet another offer, and he said he would order in July:

3 Likes

Believe it or not, the majority of the buyers that have started with a “hi” have actually led to buying my services. Maybe it’s just a way for some to check whether a seller is actually online. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s downright annoying to be woken up at 5 at night with a message notification saying “hi”.

3 Likes

Yeah, me too. But they have all turned out to be hard to please low-ball buyers, who to be quite honest, I’ve never not regretted working with.

1 Like

That I get. Luckily, I’ve still had more good buyers rather than the bad ones but they tend to ask an unreasonable amount of questions which is honestly more tiring than the actual job.

1 Like

I know, I eventually got a sale from “hi”. Tht’s why I respond “Do you have a question about a gig?” However, the VAST majority are phishing expiditions.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a bot. (ha ha funny. I just got a message this must be at least 20 characters. Why can’t 5er do that with “customer” questions?)

1 Like

It will help you too maintain your response rate…

I’m pretty sure I have NEVER had a sale from a random ‘hi’ message, but I will respond in order to keep my response rate up. It takes no time so I’m okay with that. I have noticed though that when 5er removes a spam message and tells me the person is no longer available for conversation that it seems to impact my response rate.

I’m more interested in connecting with those who contact me for an actual gig, but I guess we have to expect to see others here as well testing the boundaries.

I’ve found that, too. It’s annoying, but if I just send a template message saying “How can I help you?” That reduces the burden a bit. Some buyers just don’t have the best communication skills. I tolerate that up to a point.

If I have to tease details out of someone, I’m not going to continue the exchange with them. I’ve found that some buyers who are cagey like this tend to be cagey in their order request, too. Once I sense that, I end it.

3 Likes

Most times when I get the “hi” people and I respond, they then go on to say “how are you?” I think they think it is like a chat or something and they have found their new bff. They seem to disappear once I send a message asking if they need help choosing which Gig of mine to purchase.

GG

2 Likes

This will probably seem harsh, but I block people who just send “hi” messages. I spent my first year and a half responding, but found the conversion rate vs. time spent wasn’t anywhere near worth it. This way I can spend my time on serious buyers or working on orders.

I receive 30 to 50 inquiries a day and just don’t have time to indulge these messages.

Yes! Or they end up just wanting free advice and they think you have influence and will promote their gig. Blocked

1 Like

I had one yesterday who wrote informing me how they wanted to offer their tarot reading services here and wanted to know my experiences both good and bad on this platform and whether it would be “worth it” for her to create a listing.

So, I wrote back, “It has been both good and bad working here”. LOL

Then, I blocked them. Not sure if they wanted all my insider secrets, gossip and whatever I had - having been here since 2013, but, I am so busy, if she wants a professional opinion essay on this site and my experiences, I can create a custom offer for that.

GG

2 Likes

Had a “Hi” message yesterday.
Dude wanted me to create a verified Upwork account, allow him to remote access my computer etc in exchange for $100/month so he could make money on Upwork.

How sad is it that my when I responded in annoyance with “Go away” my next thought was wondering if Fiverr would penalize me for being rude…

2 Likes

Well done! We have to put our foot down and move on.

1 Like

I had two of those recently…

I’ve reported and blocked both of them, and their accounts are gone now.

2 Likes