Take a closer look into a Seller profile before you buy & compare gigs/sellers

multisync3

Well, as some of you know I didn’t had a high share of good experiences when purchasing my 9 gigs. Results so far: 8 delivered with just 1 outstanding positive experience, 7 rather negative and another gig is outstanding/open (and it doesn’t look good in terms of quality & timely delivery.

However, here are my tips to make better choices when you want to buy a gig.

1. Rating. A vast amount of 5 star ratings is in most cases justified, I believe, especially for long-standing sellers. But not always. I would be careful with sellers reaching a vast amount of ratings in a very short time. I have seen ratings left from the very same buyers to the very same seller in a frequent interval of 4-5 ratings at the time. Possible? Well, ask yourself.

2. A professional seller should show his real own picture in the profile. Many use internet photos. (I myself use a old passport picture - I am NOT a seller, only a buyer).

3. A profile description should say something about you, your experience and skills to give give a potential seller the best impression.

4. Is the location important? We are on the internet, so it doesn’t matter where you source your gig BUT I had 2-3 times the impression some sellers do not reveal their real location. My outstanding/open gig seller says he is in UK, his profile pic is fake and comes from a website in Romania, also his English is rather poor. So ask yourself how creditable such a seller is.

5. Why not ask a previous buyer for more details on his/her experience (if possible).

6. Communication (before and after the gig)

7. Delivery
    Did the seller deliver what was described / agreed in quality and time? Are you not happy and he offers you a cancellation and refund (eventually for a better rating)? Again credibility!?

8. I believe in “Do it right at the first time”, IF the gig is measurable based on defined and agreed data to deliver. No excuses then. A creative writing text might be a different story as not direct measurable.

9. Compare sellers and gigs

I would say these are the 9 key points to consider to make your purchase a successful one.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @multisync3

I agree with much of what you say, except about using your own photo - while I don’t agree at all with using a celebrity photo etc, there may be sellers/buyer who for some reason or another don’t want to use their real photo, and shouldn’t be thought of badly for this.

Nobody is able to contact purely buyers on Fiverr, otherwise it would be a world of spam! Only sellers can be contacted by message, so not possible to contact previous gig buyers.

It may be difficult to differentiate between your outstanding seller (really, really good) and your outstanding seller (late gig delivery) - maybe you could edit you post to make it a bit clearer?

Well, as some of you know I didn’t had a high share of good experiences when purchasing my 9 gigs. Results so far: 8 delivered with just 1 outstanding positive experience, 7 rather negative and another gig is outstanding/open (and it doesn’t look good in terms of quality & timely delivery.

However, here are my tips to make better choices when you want to buy a gig.

1. Rating. A vast amount of 5 star ratings is in most cases justified, I believe, especially for long-standing sellers. But not always. I would be careful with sellers reaching a vast amount of ratings in a very short time. I have seen ratings left from the very same buyers to the very same seller in a frequent interval of 4-5 ratings at the time. Possible? Well, ask yourself.

2. A professional seller should show his real own picture in the profile. Many use internet photos. (I myself use a old passport picture - I am NOT a seller, only a buyer).

3. A profile description should say something about you, your experience and skills to give give a potential seller the best impression.

4. Is the location important? We are on the internet, so it doesn’t matter where you source your gig BUT I had 2-3 times the impression some sellers do not reveal their real location. My outstanding/open gig seller says he is in UK, his profile pic is fake and comes from a website in Romania, also his English is rather poor. So ask yourself how creditable such a seller is.

5. Why not ask a previous buyer for more details on his/her experience (if possible).

6. Communication (before and after the gig)

7. Delivery

Did the seller deliver what was described / agreed in quality and time? Are you not happy and he offers you a cancellation and refund (eventually for a better rating)? Again credibility!?

8. I believe in “Do it right at the first time”, IF the gig is measurable based on defined and agreed data to deliver. No excuses then. A creative writing text might be a different story as not direct measurable.

9. Compare sellers and gigs

I would say these are the 9 key points to consider to make your purchase a successful one.

Thank you. Good point! Updated to…

another gig is outstanding/open

Can you give me an example why a seller shouldn’t use it’s own real picture?

I compare it with e.g. LinkedIn. If you want to be professional you have to do it. I get many LinkedIn connect requests but when I see a poor profile which tells me nothing (not even a picture) about a member then I never accept.

Buyers contact - noted. Didn’t know.

Thank you. Good point! Updated to…

another gig is outstanding/open

Can you give me an example why a seller shouldn’t use it’s own real picture?

I compare it with e.g. LinkedIn. If you want to be professional you have to do it. I get many LinkedIn connect requests but when I see a poor profile which tells me nothing (not even a picture) about a member then I never accept.

Buyers contact - noted. Didn’t know.

Anonymity - often people work on Fiverr as a side job, and their employers may not be happy if they found them doing it. There have also been reports of female users receiving inappropriate messages - you don’t have to search very far on the forum to find these stories - just look up feet and you’ll get an idea.

I wouldn’t apply for a job which asked for a photo of me, so don’t see why it would be needed on Fiverr.

The anonymity aspect shouldn’t be used as a cover for unprofessional sellers.

Anonymity - often people work on Fiverr as a side job, and their employers may not be happy if they found them doing it. There have also been reports of female users receiving inappropriate messages - you don’t have to search very far on the forum to find these stories - just look up feet and you’ll get an idea.

I wouldn’t apply for a job which asked for a photo of me, so don’t see why it would be needed on Fiverr.

The anonymity aspect shouldn’t be used as a cover for unprofessional sellers.

Transparency instead of anonymity - I would say.

What you do as a side job is not your employers business! That’s very clear. So I can’t follow you on this argument. Your second part might be somehow valid but can’t you block someone?

I wouldn’t apply for a job which asked for a photo of me

You are in UK, don’t know the rules there but it’s pretty common in EU to apply for a job WITH photo. I know in USA it’s not common!

Anonymity is in my view rather used from unprofessional sellers.

What you do as a side job is not your employers business! That’s very clear. So I can’t follow you on this argument. Your second part might be somehow valid but can’t you block someone?

You are in UK, don’t know the rules there but it’s pretty common in EU to apply for a job WITH photo. I know in USA it’s not common!

Okay - privacy rather than anonymity.

Why do certain countries not allow job adverts to ask for a photo - racism, ageism, good looks or not etc. It’s great if Fiverr users want to put their real photo up, but is not required.

Messages from buyers can be blocked, sales can’t be.

I’m using my logo as part of branding for FB, Twitter, Fiverr etc. - am I being unprofessional in your view?

It’s $5 - do you want the background information for every checkout operator when you buy something at the supermarket, a full CV and references?

Okay - privacy rather than anonymity.

Why do certain countries not allow job adverts to ask for a photo - racism, ageism, good looks or not etc. It’s great if Fiverr users want to put their real photo up, but is not required.

Messages from buyers can be blocked, sales can’t be.

I’m using my logo as part of branding for FB, Twitter, Fiverr etc. - am I being unprofessional in your view?

It’s $5 - do you want the background information for every checkout operator when you buy something at the supermarket, a full CV and references?

Well, let’s not talk about countries job application rules, that’s not the point here. Still can’t follow your argument on privacy/anonymity…

I never said someone is unprofessional by not using a photo or logo but maybe by using a fake photo and location.

The last part is too exaggerated 😉 and I also never wanted/said that.

Just saying, look deeper into a sellers profile and compare before you place your purchase. In our digital world today many things aren’t like they appear.

Yes you did!

Looking into a seller’s profile - absolutely great, just not to be taken too far.

Having the ability to see more about some buyers’ profiles would also be useful, but not available at the moment. However, by some Google searching, it’s really quite easy to see some of the feedbacks they’ve left if not all, which can be useful.

Yes you did!

Looking into a seller’s profile - absolutely great, just not to be taken too far.

Having the ability to see more about some buyers’ profiles would also be useful, but not available at the moment. However, by some Google searching, it’s really quite easy to see some of the feedbacks they’ve left if not all, which can be useful.

Yes I did say so but you were referring to a profile photo.

If somebody uses a logo or no photo but has a clear profile description - fine with me; but if fake pic and no substantial description - not ok with me.

Your earlier arguments on employers etc I can’t follow as said before. Maybe there is some truth in the statement of an earlier discussion that Fiverr is rather a “Kindergarden Freelance platform” 😉

If somebody uses a logo or no photo but has a clear profile description - fine with me; but if fake pic and no substantial description - not ok with me.

Your earlier arguments on employers etc I can’t follow as said before. Maybe there is some truth in the statement of an earlier discussion that Fiverr is rather a “Kindergarden Freelance platform” 😉

I’m sorry you’ve been unsuccessful with some of your purchases, but don’t let it be a reflection on all of us.

Your first choice of seller really should have thrown up a few warnings - poor reviews, no profile pic at all, the level etc. Maybe you should have walked away from that one and found another one?

Anyway, good luck on your future purchases!

I’m sorry you’ve been unsuccessful with some of your purchases, but don’t let it be a reflection on all of us.

Your first choice of seller really should have thrown up a few warnings - poor reviews, no profile pic at all, the level etc. Maybe you should have walked away from that one and found another one?

Anyway, good luck on your future purchases!

I don’t reflect it to “all of us”. I was giving 9 checkpoints to consider. That’s it. Thank you for the discussion.

Just as an aside, since I’m reading the term ‘kindergarden’ so often lately.
This word is a so called loanword, taken from my native language German’s ‘Kindergarten’, and actually is written with a ‘t’ in correct English as well, you can check in online dictionaries.
Like others of its kind, such as rucksack or kitsch or zeitgeist, those words, unlike the German ‘originals’ are written in lower case, as nouns usually are in English, unless they belong to the few exceptions, but they keep their original spelling.

But that just as a maybe interesting information for some, to the statement as such, I think most buyers are quite able to see that there are sellers of quite different levels and I’m pretty sure that fiverr wouldn’t attract so many buyers if only kindergarten level work was to be had here.
The forum again sometimes seems like a kindergarten to me for sure. Sometimes. And sometimes it’s even supposed to be, against the seriousness and hardships of life as a seller or buyer on fiverr. 😉

I very much agree with the recommendation to take a closer look in general, it would spare a lot of buyers some trouble and us all a lot of complaints on the forum.

Just as an aside, since I’m reading the term ‘kindergarden’ so often lately.

This word is a so called loanword, taken from my native language German’s ‘Kindergarten’, and actually is written with a ‘t’ in correct English as well, you can check in online dictionaries.

Like others of its kind, such as rucksack or kitsch or zeitgeist, those words, unlike the German ‘originals’ are written in lower case, as nouns usually are in English, unless they belong to the few exceptions, but they keep their original spelling.

But that just as a maybe interesting information for some, to the statement as such, I think most buyers are quite able to see that there are sellers of quite different levels and I’m pretty sure that fiverr wouldn’t attract so many buyers if only kindergarten level work was to be had here.

The forum again sometimes seems like a kindergarten to me for sure. Sometimes. And sometimes it’s even supposed to be, against the seriousness and hardships of life as a seller or buyer on fiverr. 😉

I very much agree with the recommendation to take a closer look in general, it would spare a lot of buyers some trouble and us all a lot of complaints on the forum.

Thank you, Fräulein “Knack for words” 😉

[details=OT-survival tip for Germany 😉

(But careful with ‘Fräulein’ in Germany, it’s not politically correct anymore since quite some time, some women can get very upset about it, you won’t want to risk that. - general ‘you’, as a survival tip for anyone traveling to Germany. ;))[/details]

The tips you have provided are good and useful, I am surprised you have had such a bad success ratio. Like all tips, they do not apply to all situations though.

1. Sellers often have repeat buyers who just give ratings on a number of orders at the same time - reviews show up in the order that they are left, not by when the order was completed.
  2. I use my own photo and I often get buyers attempting to contact me on social media, some sellers would like to avoid this, particularly females.
  3. Your only successful purchase came from someone who you suspect uses a fake location but it seems you advise against using those who do this!
  4. The only previous buyers you will be able to contact are those who are also sellers. You may be reported for spam if you contact a seller and are not inquiring about their gig. I suggest people do not do this for this reason.
  5. I am glad you qualify your statement to be only applicable to those gigs which have clearly defined measurable results.

Fiverr is rather a “Kindergarden Freelance platform”

Fiverr is a platform which is extremely easy for sellers to get started with. However, this does not mean it is a kindergarden. Certainly, it can be used in this way and I recommend it to anyone who is starting out as a freelancer. The point of a kindergarden is for children to learn the basics and then expand - similarly, Fiverr allows people to learn on the job and use that experience to improve their service and product.

I consider there to be 4 big freelance platforms (aside from the niche targeted ones). I have worked on each of them. On one, I reached their highest rated seller status (the equivalent of TRS) after 3 sales! What does that say about the other sellers or perhaps the rating system of that site?

On the other 2 I had some sales but repetitively having to bid on every single job got tedious so I left them even though I had achieved good scores in the relevant paid entry tests for my categories. To me those sites felt like a kindergarden where every job had a couple of hundred people shouting “Pick me, Pick me! Pretty please pick me! I will be your friend if you pick me!” Even when chosen you would have to deal with buyers who are overtaken by their perceived power and require interviews for even the smallest jobs. Such a waste of time! Professional they most certainly aren’t, those platforms are like the Buyer Request section on Fiverr, except worse. Here, most of my clients are businesses who want to get a job done, they check my profile, my gigs, perhaps send me a message about their requirements and then they order. Simple, straightforward, professional. Of course, there are rubbish sellers here too, they are also on all the other platforms.

So no, Fiverr is not the kindergarden, for me it works better than the others in terms of the kind of professional environment I choose to work in.

The tips you have provided are good and useful, I am surprised you have had such a bad success ratio. Like all tips, they do not apply to all situations though.

1. Sellers often have repeat buyers who just give ratings on a number of orders at the same time - reviews show up in the order that they are left, not by when the order was completed.
  2. I use my own photo and I often get buyers attempting to contact me on social media, some sellers would like to avoid this, particularly females.
  3. Your only successful purchase came from someone who you suspect uses a fake location but it seems you advise against using those who do this!
  4. The only previous buyers you will be able to contact are those who are also sellers. You may be reported for spam if you contact a seller and are not inquiring about their gig. I suggest people do not do this for this reason.
  5. I am glad you qualify your statement to be only applicable to those gigs which have clearly defined measurable results.

Fiverr is a platform which is extremely easy for sellers to get started with. However, this does not mean it is a kindergarden. Certainly, it can be used in this way and I recommend it to anyone who is starting out as a freelancer. The point of a kindergarden is for children to learn the basics and then expand - similarly, Fiverr allows people to learn on the job and use that experience to improve their service and product.

I consider there to be 4 big freelance platforms (aside from the niche targeted ones). I have worked on each of them. On one, I reached their highest rated seller status (the equivalent of TRS) after 3 sales! What does that say about the other sellers or perhaps the rating system of that site?

On the other 2 I had some sales but repetitively having to bid on every single job got tedious so I left them even though I had achieved good scores in the relevant paid entry tests for my categories. To me those sites felt like a kindergarden where every job had a couple of hundred people shouting “Pick me, Pick me! Pretty please pick me! I will be your friend if you pick me!” Even when chosen you would have to deal with buyers who are overtaken by their perceived power and require interviews for even the smallest jobs. Such a waste of time! Professional they most certainly aren’t, those platforms are like the Buyer Request section on Fiverr, except worse. Here, most of my clients are businesses who want to get a job done, they check my profile, my gigs, perhaps send me a message about their requirements and then they order. Simple, straightforward, professional. Of course, there are rubbish sellers here too, they are also on all the other platforms.

So no, Fiverr is not the kindergarden, for me it works better than the others in terms of the kind of professional environment I choose to work in.

1. Your only successful purchase came from someone who you suspect uses a fake location but it seems you advise against using those who do this!

This conclusion from you is wrong! I guess you misread it.

Addendum: I was not clear with my wording. Outstanding means here OPEN gig. I updated above. 😉

1. I am glad you qualify your statement to be only applicable to those gigs which have clearly defined measurable results.

Yes, I learned from the forum regarding e.g. creative gigs which are not measurable per se.

This quote was actually not forged by me but I took it from another member during a discussion… and for me somehow it is true (if you look at the various types of gigs offered e.g. “I send you a postcard from XXX” - That’s Kindergarten!

Thank you for your most valid input.

1. Your only successful purchase came from someone who you suspect uses a fake location but it seems you advise against using those who do this!

Addendum: I was not clear with my wording. Outstanding means here OPEN gig. I updated above. 😉

1. I am glad you qualify your statement to be only applicable to those gigs which have clearly defined measurable results.

Yes, I learned from the forum regarding e.g. creative gigs which are not measurable per se.

This quote was actually not forged by me but I took it from another member during a discussion… and for me somehow it is true (if you look at the various types of gigs offered e.g. “I send you a postcard from XXX” - That’s Kindergarten!

The fun and lifestyle section is aimed at being fun (and lifestyle), it is hardly a reflection of the whole site!

Pardon me, but you seem to be a person who believes that his reasoning and justification is sound, concrete and immovable.
You do not accept any alternative solution/observation of a particular point and you only continue to enforce your views with the disclaimer “This is my view etc.”.

Why are you even partaking on this forum then? Offering your observations and suggestions are fine but your inability to accept constructive criticism or a counter-argument to YOUR POV renders you an absolutely acute member on this forum.

What is the difference between a spammer posting on this forum and you?

I am not upset, I just want to know because in 90% post, this is the perception you are imposing onto others.

I hope you read this carefully and answer without having a kindergarten attitude yourself.

This conclusion from you is wrong! I guess you misread it.Addendum: I was not clear with my wording. Outstanding means here OPEN gig. I updated above. 😉

eoinfinnegan:

I am glad you qualify your statement to be only applicable to those gigs which have clearly defined measurable results.

Doesn´t look like spamming to me but pretty much like what discussion is good for, to offer one´s view, and to adjust one´s view, or wording, if one finds valid points in others’ views.

Though I certainly agree with Eoin’s point of view on postcards and ‘Fun and Lifestyle’. 😉

This conclusion from you is wrong! I guess you misread it.Addendum: I was not clear with my wording. Outstanding means here OPEN gig. I updated above. 😉

eoinfinnegan:

I am glad you qualify your statement to be only applicable to those gigs which have clearly defined measurable results.

Doesn´t look like spamming to me but pretty much like what discussion is good for, to offer one´s view, and to adjust one´s view, or wording, if one finds valid points in others’ views.

Though I certainly agree with Eoin’s point of view on postcards and ‘Fun and Lifestyle’. 😉

Editing your original statement due to the inability to properly express one’s original intent is a rectification of grammar and style of the statement. Not an alteration of the original view.

My query to him wasn’t in regards to this thread particularly but his overall response to almost everyone replying to him.

And I wasn’t calling his actions spamming, but made a correlation of posting “content” without seeking response, like spammers do.

Archived