Term paper writing and homework gigs illegal - see these laws

pspauline

More of an FYI, really, but many gigs focus on doing essays and term papers and I’ve seen buyers asking for gigs to get their homework done for them.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS - the law is cracking down. And risking these legal penalties really not worth the $5-$25.

California: California Education Code Section 66400 penalizes the preparation or sale of term papers, thesis, or dissertations for compensation. Those who merely “type” or “assemble” a paper are exempt. The law is applicable when the preparer/seller knew or should have known that the recipient would submit the paper for academic credit. State residents or academic institutions “acting for the interest of itself, its students, or the general public” can file suit against offenders for "any relief as is necessary."
Florida: Section 877.17 of the 2011 Florida Statutes makes it a misdemeanor in the second degree to “sell, offer to sell, or advertise for sale” a “written, recorded, pictorial, artistic, or other assignment” to another for submission “unaltered to a substantial degree.” Second degree misdemeanors in Florida are punishable by up to 60 days in jail. Editing and transcription services are exempt from criminal liability.
Illinois: The Academic Plagiarism Act in the Illinois Compiled Statutes declares that “assisting or promoting plagiarism” is "against the public policy of the state. The Act authorizes campus executives to institute civil proceedings "to enjoin the sale, preparation for sale, advertising for sale, or offering for sale of any academic papers."
New York: Section 213-B of the New York Education Law criminalizes the unlawful sale of “a dissertation, thesis, term paper, essay, report or other written assignment” as a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by incarceration of up to three months. Local district attorneys or the state Attorney General can initiate investigations into this misconduct. Academic tutoring and counseling services are exempt from prosecution.
Texas: Section 32.50 of the Texas Penal Code classifies the “deceptive preparation and marketing of academic product” as a fraud and Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $500. Those merely offering counseling, tutoring, and transcription services have affirmative defenses under the Texas statute.
Virginia: Section 18.2-505 of the Code of Virginia mirrors California’s law. Those who transcribe or assemble a paper for another are exempt, and the entity filing suit must prove that the preparer/seller knew or should have known that their work would be used as part of an academic fraud. Individuals and businesses alike in Virginia face civil injunctions, misdemeanor convictions, and fines of up to $1,000 if found guilty of this offense.
These states are not the only ones who punish former students looking to make quick cash; Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington all have some variation of the above laws on the books.

These are State laws, and many of these customers are not in the same state, there no way to know which state they are in. Sometimes there are moral laws which are unenforceable. They will only try to force them if they can’t find nothing else on you.

Take a look at my state, we have laws where if you live with the opposite sex not married is a misdemeanor 2nd degree. They only enforce that ya, if they can’t find what they are looking for.

Plus the way around, it is because you don’t know it or not. As long you do not ask the buyer what he is going to do with the paper…

"which the seller or advertiser knew or reasonably should have known was intended for submission by a student, unaltered to any substantial degree"

Again it is perfectly alright because the buyer could buy the paper as a form of a model or a guideline:

"This section shall not prevent any person or educational institution from providing tutorial assistance, research material, information, or courses in research or writing unless this service includes the preparation, research, or writing of a report or paper as outlined in subsection (1). No person shall be prevented by this section from selling or offering to sell services which include the typing, assembling, transcription, reproduction, or editing of a manuscript or other assignment prepared by the purchaser. "

I’ve always wondered this when I see gigs that use people’s children, or any child in them. States have STRICT labor laws about minors in the work place and I’m pretty sure that it’s illegal to have your child in your testimonial video, when they DO NOT have a work permit or a set up Coogan account. Fiverr is based out of New York and they have similar laws. I am surprised that Fiverr has not shut these gigs down!

In many European countries having “term papers, thesis, or dissertations” written by someone else, is also illegal. People have lost their degrees over this. I guess that on many occasions, article writers do not really know whether it is an article or an essay that they are writing.

However, since laws differ from state to state, and from country to country, this is confusing.

And, child labor is something entirely different and yes

anarchofighter said: Children can be MODELS

From what I have seen on Fiverr, I have not encountered any 'child labor' in the true sense of the word yet.

I appreciate that pspauline posted this. As unlikely as it is, there may be people who simply never thought that completing someone’s schoolwork was unethical, let alone illegal in many locales. And even sillier, they just may think on it for a minute before they make their money anyway (should be any way).

thepromogirl said: It's the users responsibility to abide by their local, state, and federal laws.
Is correct. And it doesn't matter where Fiverr HQ is, the one thing above all else that they will do correctly, is protect their income.

I've always known that people will cheat at anything, but it's only recently come to my attention how globally widespread and painfully easy it is. I'm not talking about help on a math problem, I'm talking about doctoral students in any subject you can think of hiring someone to do their coursework.

It is my sincere hope that those of you who complete coursework for others spend a little time wondering how you'll feel when your child/parent/spouse is being treated by a doctor who paid a frustrated, cheap, graphic designer to take their exams. Or if you lose your home due to unpaid taxes because your accountant essentially bought their degree online for $20.

I'm not on some high horse, I just know that if people think the consequences of their actions might one day impact themself or their loved ones, they might not be so quick to dismiss them for a buck.

As a former college teacher in the PRC and as a tutor/teacher for English and writing here in the USA, I can tell you it is NOT ok whether it is purchased in the state or out of state. Students are not doing the course work and they are definitely not rewriting them and ‘learning’ how to write from it.

In a previous work experience where I thought I was ‘helping’ students with term papers and essays, I began receiving back notes from the teachers with complaints that my work didn’t include classroom discussions and was marked down. I learned the hard way that I was earning grades but not getting the credit. And there are more and more FBI investigations into university level cheating. Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance if given one of these assignments. It is a hefty fine if caught.

Reply to @traxie2001: Haha wow. To be honest if I got that my first response would be yours - because I’m lazy. Although I would probably do it and go on a student study note site, and write up a quick something from that - without reading the book.

Kids who buy their essays are going to have to take the risk of getting a crap one back. I would never get some random person to do my essays because chances are I know 100x more than them about the subject than them - as I’m the one studying it in class! Why would you pay for a probably C grade paper.

But yeah! I guess if you’re in these states watch out - and if you’re not, go wild.

p.s. do any of you guys wanna write my english essay due next week?

itsyourthing said: I appreciate that pspauline posted this. As unlikely as it is, there may be people who simply never thought that completing someone's schoolwork was unethical, let alone illegal in many locales. And even sillier, they just may think on it for a minute before they make their money anyway (should be any way).

I don't. I hate 'wanna-be-cop culture". Of course I hate "all cop culture" LOL

If someone has a personal reason to care, then send a seller a personal message. But the attempt to leverage the public forms for public shame I find distasteful.

As one proverb says. You can say a true thing...and you can say a beautiful thing...but don't say an ugly true thing.

itsyourthing said: It is my sincere hope that those of you who complete coursework for others spend a little time wondering how you'll feel when your child/parent/spouse is being treated by a doctor who paid a frustrated, cheap, graphic designer to take their exams. Or if you lose your home due to unpaid taxes because your accountant essentially bought their degree online for $20.

The answer is, most education is a much more of a farce and a scam than any gig on Fiverr could ever be.

I don't care what "degree someone has"... I pick my professionals by their ability to add real value to me. Things like degrees and certifications are professional hazings. They're the entry into the game...not the game itself.

Knowing what a pawn, rook, knight, bishop, et al is doesn't mean you're a master a chess. AND a master a chess is a master even if they "cheated" on their chess term paper.

anarchofighter said: I don't. I hate 'wanna-be-cop culture". Of course I hate "all cop culture" LOL

If someone has a personal reason to care, then send a seller a personal message. But the attempt to leverage the public forms for public shame I find distasteful.

As one proverb says. You can say a true thing...and you can say a beautiful thing...but don't say an ugly true thing.

Yup, this guy speaks the truth.

I hate the wannabe cop culture as well.

pspauline said: In a previous work experience where I thought I was 'helping' students with term papers and essays, I began receiving back notes from the teachers with complaints that my work didn't include classroom discussions and was marked down. I learned the hard way that I was earning grades but not getting the credit. And there are more and more FBI investigations into university level cheating. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance if given one of these assignments. It is a hefty fine if caught.

That's good to know of you. Come let me clap for you :)

Guest boulevardboy

It’s not a blasphemy to assist someone in their term paper or researches . Both the buyer and the seller would learn something on the way ! After all , we all are aware of the things like home tutor or personal assistant .

pspauline said:

Says the guy/gal with the Fiverr Forum Sheriff's badge...

Funny you should mention that. One of the conditions of my being a sheriff is that I wouldnt' have the badge, seems they couldn't get that right for me ;(

I HATE that badge...

But I don't "wanna-be" a cop and I still hate wanna be cop culture.

Now, will YOU go on record not wanning to be a wanna be cop?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It is not illegal but it might be unethical. And ethics are different for everyone .

If Having some one else do your home work is bad then what about people hiring maids and servants.We hire them to do our work

Regarding legality it is the responsibility of the student ,the person who is writing is offering a service ,it is upto the student for what purpose he uses it.

Now a days people are concerned about getting job done ,companies even hire CEO’s then why is it wrong for a student to hire someone to write on his behalf

I think the universities should come with a better system

universities are doing business they charge hell alot of money from students in the form of fees .The assignments carry a very high portion of the grade and international students really find it hard to secure a good grade

i think it is entirely the responsibility of the student, the person or company who writes the paper shouldnot be questioned as they are offering a service

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

it is a shaky ground. My experience of providing academic writing service suggests that there are many different situations when students (or professionals) ask for help.

One thing is if a student studying aircraft engineering is asking us to perform his calculations. Well, we do not do that for a very obvious reason. You dont want to end up in the plane designed by this student. And we dont want to be the company who made it happen.

However we have absolutely no issues with providing proofreading, consulting services for students who simply want to improve what they already have or need a little kick-start with that.

Michael,

homework4you net

Archived