Fiverr Community Forum

The annoying little extras. Anyone else have this problem?

Am I just being stubborn or does anyone else get a bit irked with those little extras clients ask for that only take a few seconds but aren’t part of the deal? For example, in the requirements, a buyer will give me the keywords they want me to target in the article, but also send me a link to a Google spreadsheet and tell me to tick them off, write the title in certain columns, etc. Obviously, this isn’t a huge deal but it’s essentially admin they could be completing themselves and isn’t what they are paying me for (writing).

Another example is when a client will ask me to write in their CMS instead of a Word doc. I always say no to this because:

1. It takes time to learn a new CMS
  2. It’s a security risk to them

I’ve had a few clients be annoyed about this and say it’s no different to writing in a Word document so I should just do it.

Another example is a client who wanted to post the content under my name so asked me to create a (fairly detailed) profile on their website. Some clients are understanding when I say “I just write the content”, but others get rude because they think it’s no big deal and will only take a few seconds/minutes.

I think they fail to realize that if everyone asked for this stuff and I agreed, I’d end up with hundreds of bookmarked spreadsheets, countless login details for CMSs etc. I struggle to navigate these situations though because I don’t think I can justify adding on an extra $5 (or whatever) for ticking a few boxes or copy and pasting titles. At the same time though it’s always these clients who start asking for more and more little extras. Maybe I’m just being fussy?

4 Likes

My pet peeve, that does not happen often is a buyer who books my lowest priced proofreading gig and attaches a document with many more words than the gig entails.

4 Likes

Yes! I no longer offer 300 word gigs on my profile because I had a few buyers order 300 words and then complain that there wasn’t enough detail so could I add another paragraph. This was after me advising that 300 words probably wouldn’t cover it. These buyers are rare though. The vast majority of people I work with on fiverr are great.

2 Likes

My biggest pet peeve is when I am provided with login details and the password ends up being incorrect. Lots of back and forth to then resolve.

4 Likes

However, you do call it extras, so there’s a justification already. Maybe you could try out adding those things as extras (e.g., say ‘this gig is for Word format and there’s an extra for other formats available’ in the description and offer that as an extra, ditto with other common extra requests). Perhaps it would make at least some people aware that they are asking for additional work/time with their extras, and you could handle it on case-by-case basis, when people ignore the gig description but ask for/demand those little extras, depending on whether it’s more economical for you to just do it vs discussing it.

Creating a fairly detailed profile on someone else’s website certainly is quite a big deal for several reasons, not even just the additional time it will take (and honestly, anyone who acts as if it isn’t and expects you to do that at all and even for free, could do with a bit of reflection) as is learning to navigate a new CMS or other software or working with file types you never even knew existed before, getting rude about something like that certainly isn’t appropriate.
I don’t think you’re being fussy. It’s people not thinking enough or taking advantage.

After all, little extras, if wanted, can easily be covered by asking for a custom offer.

6 Likes

I sometimes have a client who in the requirements section gives me a list of things he wants, detailed items, that are not part of what I offer. I ignore them.

2 Likes

Charge writing in a CMS as a gig extra to try and put them off

1 Like

is that possible? I just do more work that they request. That’s because my part depends on other configurations, I think this is for my IT role.

1 Like

If they ask you to make this work, they have to pay for it.
I don’t really think you need to justify anything.
When I see that someone sends me a complex file for translation (.PO or XLS with variables and placeholders), I simply tell them that working with such files and formats takes more time and the price is going to be higher (the markup depends on you).
Only a couple of my customers (usually resellers) refused to pay. It’s their choice.
Try adding the amount that will make you satisfied and won’t be too scary for the customer.

I have one constant buyer, and she always pays for 500 words sending me PDF files with 1000-3000 words. I asked her three times to use proper packages, but nothing changed.
I simply use “Resolution Center => Modify the order => The buyer requested additional work, which wasn’t in the scope of the original order”.

1 Like

It’s up to you how you handle it. Whatever works for you.

2 Likes

I agree. The way I feel is if they have the nerve to ask for things that are not part of my gig then they don’t really deserve a response to that but that’s just me. They know that it’s not ok to do that but they do it anyway. How others deal with this could be different. I don’t have it happen more than about once a year.

Or if it’s an extra they ask for then I would send them the offer for that extra.

4 Likes

Charge for it! If it’s common enough, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be paid for the extra time. There’s a reason they’re asking you to do it instead of just doing it themselves! Just because they hired you to do a particular task doesn’t suddenly make them your manager.

Anything additional clients ask for in the order form, I include a price to do those items in my initial response message.

They either accept the extra charge or say nevermind to the additional asks. Every once in a while I get “it’s so easy, why can’t you include it” or “other sellers include it in their gigs” in which I politely point them in the direction of those people lol.

1 Like