Fiverr Forum

The Customer is Always Right?

Hey fellow sellers! Seeking a bit of advice–

A buyer (We’ll call them “Bob”) purchased a testimonial video gig from me a couple months back and enjoyed the work. Bob messaged me last week asking for a custom offer for my Voiceover gig, and I responded with a quote based on his script/word count. (My testimonial gig is currently paused and not being offered.) I completed the work (semi-lengthy) and delivered the audio file yesterday. Bob responded that he only wanted a video testimonial, and when I explained that I no longer offer that and gently reminded him that he specifically requested a quote for my “voiceover” gig and that’s what I offered him, he asked for a refund.

I totally understand his confusion, but I also completed a project and at no point did he specifically request a video. I’m leaning towards granting him a refund (he was confused; I don’t want my review score damaged), but am frustrated by the situation. In the future should this happen, I’ll obviously specify what the return buyer is looking for, but…it’s a bummer all around.

What would you do?

If you want the money for your work, don’t offer a refund, if he leaves a bad review you can contact customer support and they will remove it because it was his fault and he clearely said he wanted your voiceover.

But…if you don’t want to loose him as a customer or deal with the bad review and contacting CS thing, you can offer a refund…just this time.

Same story :

If he ordered your voiceover gig, and never mentioned a video to you before or during the course of the order, then how is it your burden to carry? Further, you’ll likely lose Bob as repeat customer anyway, esp considering you don’t offer the testimony gig anymore. Do what you want, but it was Bob’s responsibility to make sure Bob bought what Bob needed.

Frankly, all he had to do was read the gig title. Not sure how much empathy Id have for someone who would let me do a bunch of work, and then expect a refund all because he didn’t bother reading my gig title.

You did the work and he made a mistake.
It’s up to you to assess the pros and cons:
Potential bad review
Lost time
Potentially losing a future client, he was a returning client.
Potentially he is trying to get the work for free

With a bad review if that is what he does, you can respond in your review of him by saying what happened. You have over 150 reviews, one bad one will not be an issue for people.
You spent time on this, you deserve to be paid.
Is it worth writing off this order in the hope he comes back? Perhaps.
It is entirely possible that he is trying to get the work done for free. He never mentioned a video originally? Sounds a bit odd to me.

I don’t give refunds after an order is delivered but different people have different ideas. If I majorly screw up something, then I would consider it but that hasn’t happened yet.

Hello.
What I see here is some misunderstanding with you and your buyer. Better to refund.
There will be always such customers. This is business. Be prepared for this.

Good Luck.

-LE

Yes! Free work for everyone! My time is invaluable, and my professional services expendable. When did freelance become a charity?

NO! For the sake of your self-respect don’t refund. Simply send this person a message stating that,

1. He requested a voiceover

2. He got a voice over

& 3. Since you are happy that you have fulfilled this order you have no option but to contact customer support.

I’m using the latter truck to scare away these dodgy folk at present. Also, your buyer stands to lose nothing. All he has to do now is order a video gig from someone else. Simples.

At the beginning when I started on Fiverr I would accept cancellations and refunds based on fear, fear of a bad review. Now I simply tell them to do what they need to do, unless I feel I’m in the wrong.
A couple of bad reviews from people isn’t going to change the landscape of what you do. I’ve bought from people who have had bad reviews.

I’ve seen a few people here on the forum claim to just get the negative reviews removed. Don’t know if this works every time, but they was very vocal about it.

I can usually get mine removed, even if I’m full of doubt about it. That said, it does seem to involve playing a game, and it’s also very much about building up the evidence–so much the better if the seller clangs about like a frothing lunatic in the China shop, or something.

My last one still hasn’t responded to my “would you like a refund” message! Tosspot. Anyway–the customer is definitely not always right. As soon as they start getting abusive and/or unreasonable, they’re wrong. This is assuming of course that they are being unreasonable about perfectly good work–if a seller is providing poop on a stick when they promised the moon on a stick, that’s a vastly different preposition. But still, even with those two situational examples, it’s quite clear that “the customer is always right” is just a load of marketing shit.

Should we take marketing slogans or messages as truth? No, we shouldn’t. Repeating this as truth is damaging to both buyers and sellers.

It does seem to involve playing a game, and it’s also very much about building up the evidence

I totally agree that building evidence through correspondence is key to solving disputes when they arise. But this might involve a level of communication that some people are not capable of or are to lazy to do (even tho it should be quite simple).

This is from the source link that @emmaki kindly shared about the phrase “The customer is always right”…

“It was pointed out as early as 1914 that this view ignores that customers can be dishonest, have unrealistic expectations, and/or try to misuse a product in ways that void the guarantee”

Be adware of him next time.