Fiverr Community Forum

The Disappearing Tip

Darn, I fell for one of the oldest in the books sigh

Had a client approach me with a very long project but he needed a turnaround of 48 hours, when I would usually allow 7 days for a project of this length. I juggled around other things, put my gigs on holiday for a day to avoid new orders and pulled an all nighter - not an easy thing to do with four kids at home too.

I delivered and he asked for some additional work. He said “I may as well tell you now that I am planning to send you a tip of $100 when we complete because you’ve been so accommodating.”

Delivery was on Wednesday. The order autocompletes shortly and, you’ve guessed it, no tip.

No real point to this post other than, urgh, sometimes I don’t like people very much :frowning:

4 Likes

You should have offered the shorter delivery time for $100 as a gig extra. That’s how I would have dealt with it, to make sure I get the money and that he isn’t lying.

4 Likes

The buyers who made promises about tip never fulfill those promises, I had a client who orders twice and both of orders he/she promised I will tipped you extra if you done the job but never fulfill that promise on both orders.

3 Likes

Never work for tips or promises of future work. Never. Ever.

4 Likes

He didn’t mention a tip until after I had delivered. This is a buyer that I’ve worked with previously on a number of occasions and I had no reason to believe that he wasn’t being honest :frowning:

1 Like

I didn’t. He mentioned giving me a tip for my great work. I didn’t do the gig for free. A tip would have been the icing on the cake, given the extent that I had to move around my other work to accommodate him. I hand reason not to believe him and I’m just a bit disappointed that he didn’t honour it.

1 Like

Well, then you don’t really have a reason to complain, I guess. You were accommodating because you chose to, not under any false promises. Icing on the cake is nice, but not expected.

1 Like

No complaint, just having a rant, was all. I’m pretty sure that I was doing it in the right section of the forum.

3 Likes

Did you charge any extra, considering that you were working with a shorter delivery time?

1 Like

Sadly some buyers know which buttons to press to get the result they want.

A couple of times now I’ve turned down the opportunity to work with a buyer because they mentioned “giving a tip” if they were “happy with my work”.

For me that’s a massive alarm bell that they will be difficult to work with.

2 Likes

You know what? Unless he really gives you a significant amount of regular orders, I would send him a message saying “Unfortunately I don’t work for dishonest clients and so I will have to block you”. Promising a $100 tip and not doing it is disrespectful.

Of course, this is just my opinion, because I’m a bit fed up with idiots and this is the Ranting Pot.

Officially he didn’t do anything wrong.

2 Likes

I would hold off for another few days, just in case the tip magically appears. I’m an optimist (but I’m also a realist lol). Also, I don’t know if the seller’s buyer has already left feedback (I’ll assume not if the order auto completed) - but you don’t want to provoke them into leaving bad feedback just because you poked a stick at the bear.

1 Like

Yes! I meant doing it after they leave feedback or the 10 days have passed

1 Like

Shame when someone can’t come to the ranting pot and rant…

Hope the buyer comes through anyway and that he/she is just busy at the moment.

3 Likes

Agreed! I would wait the ‘rating period’ out and then block him. He should know why.

3 Likes