Fiverr Community Forum

The I can't download the files "Scam"?

I often don’t rant about things but at times it’s better to just scream and be done with it… Here’s the story… I got an order from a buyer, this order didn’t seem suspicious because it was cleverly planned. It was a video edit that wouldn’t take much time on my side per video but since there were multiple videos the time would eventually build to finish all of them… I did my best and finished on time, I didn’t put into account the time I would require to send back the edited videos(that was my fault and took responsibility). I explained to my buyer what was going on and requested an extension of a few days and my buyers agreed without hesitation… As I said cleverly planned. Finished uploading all the files and delivered… Yeeessss :partying_face: :partying_face:
Then all hell broke loose since this files were huge I found the best way was to upload to gdrive and use 4 of my accounts for the entire upload or choose the $2 upgrade and use my account. I went with both option uploaded all the files into 4 accounts and uploaded them again into one account. The buyer began by saying that gdrive was crap and he/she wasn’t able to download and was getting errors and complaining that gdrive doesn’t scan for viruses… To bypass all the errors my suggestion was I would give the login detail to the upgraded account and the buyer would download the files as admin… Note I even sent the same links to several people in different countries and they were able to download without issues …The buyer didn’t want that and requested a different delivery method. So the method chosen was wetrans. Since wetrans has an upload limit of 2gigs and I didn’t feel going pro I decided to split the zip files so a 3gb file would be two 1.5gb file and when extracted would combine into the main file… The buyer didn’t know how to extract split files and I sent over the how to video I created… The buyer came back not having followed my video and was still complaining. The alternative method would be to move some of the files from one folder and onto another and rename them. The buyer came back saying that splitting the files wasn’t working and wanted the files moved to different folders… (the exact thing I had done) I explained that is what had done but the buyer didn’t want to hear any of that… After uploading the files to wetrans the buyer came back with “the files are corrupted” issue. I downloaded the files I had uploaded and extracted without any issue. So what was the buyer on about? Then the ooh I rate this work began to flow in… At this time I would be glad to let you give me a 1 :star2: and also give you your money back just to be done with this headache…
So I clicked on that resolution button because the only thing I want to see is the order disappear from my dashboard…
So why did the buyer not want to use gdrive and wanted wetrans?? My answer was because I would revoke access or delete all the files from my gdrive account as opposed to wetrans where the files are ready to download for 7 days before auto deletion…
Long story short… I am currently watching snowpiercer the series and wondering what would happen if the world actually began to freeze…

1 Like

Mediafire accepts files up to 20GB.

3 Likes

Yes and mega nz has 50gb but try telling that to a buyer who is out to get you.

1 Like

Why not try to compress the files without loosing quality. Just a thought for next time.

2 Likes

Only works if the files haven’t already been compressed.

1 Like

I don’t really know if this guy was trying to scam you, it’s possible though but i usually have problems with gdrive too. With big files gdrive doesn’t scan for viruses so that could be a potential no-no for clients. It’s a common issue if too many people downloaded from the same gdrive account as well because you can’t download any file.

1 Like

Do other platforms scan for viruses if the files are big? I checked wetransfer, dropbox, meganz, zippyshare and pcloud none hint that they will scan for viruses. On gdrive I have seen the issue of being limited if the file has high traffic but does that limit also affect the uploader?

As a voiceover file, they can be up to 500mb but never what you are talking about. Isn’t there a way in Fiverr to send large files to clients within the platform? If not there should be. Even if you had to pay for the service it would be worth it for the peace of mind. We shouldn’t ever have to leave this platform to deliver a file. Thoughts?

You can try compressing files with a free, open source tool called Handbrake, it has saved my life many times, sometimes even some After Effects videos which were large, it successfully compressed them to some MBs even without losing quality.
It is definetly a time saver and the awesome thing about it is

1. It takes up very little space (around 15-20mb) in your PC
  2. You can queue multiple videos at once
1 Like

Mega.nz is support 100 GB

1 Like

In this cases I usually ask them to make a video of them opening the file to show me what exactly is going wrong.
If they are indeed trying to scam you then of course they will never make that video.

Google drive is crap for large file transfers. Use www.filemail.com - 50Gb for free, link transfer, torrent or ftp download options, no e-mail or registration needed.

2 Likes

@visualstudios Wish I had known about this site, it never shows up when I google anything related to large file transfers… @mariashtelle1 The most I got from the buyer was several quotes about the job being heaven sent and a screenshot of an error displayed from a corrupt file. @sarkar20202 Thought mega only gives 50gb but for large files it requires to download their app so that the files can download without issues. @tech_treon Thank you for reminding me about handshake, but after all the edits that went into the video, I think further compression would break something. @melissaharlowvo 500mb for 1 file but imagine being given multiple 500mb files… I agree fiverr should offer a service to upload large files and maybe give them a 1 month expiry period.
After spending quarter of what the buyer had paid, to upload the files I was no longer willing to endure this anymore… Either they do it themselves or get someone else who was sprinkled with extra patience.

1 Like

Sadly many ppl don’t know how to use their computers, or even worse, are trying to do Pro work using only a phone which is not a doable platform for what is needed to do real work. Rather than acknowledge their own shortcomings it is easier to blame the provider, even calling them unprofessional!

I wish I had a solution that worked but I can only say
i) make your process very clear up-front in FAQ and the like
ii) be vigilant for Red Flags
iii) put your foot down firmly at first sign of incompetent client syndrome

I have no dramas with a client being unskilled. A good but unskilled client will ask for guidance and take it. A bad or clueless client will pretend the are more skilled than you are. You can’t win against that as the logic is broken.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@benedictrm you are very wise and quite funny.

1 Like