Fiverr Forum

The Inconsistency of The Buyer Request Feature

I’ve seen tons of complaints about this feature, which I’m sure you’re all tired of seeing. I’ved looked at some of the responses to these threads as well. Such as, “They only put buyer requests for gigs in your field” which I’ve found is / very / untrue as I get buyer requests that aren’t even remotely related to my gigs or my services at all.

Last year for buyer requests I saw a lot of “requests” saying “I will do your logo for $5”, which obviously those aren’t…requests…

I don’t know. The whole thing just seems so inconsistent and I feel like if you need to explain to to every person who complains about it, it clearly needs to be fixed or explained.

The link Vickie gave you has a lot of good info and is useful to understand how Buyer Requests even started and why it doesn’t get much work. I can’t remember if this one thing is in there, so I’ll address it just in case. What people mean when they say that you only see “buyer requests for gigs in your field” is true - but it’s only as true as the BUYERS make it. Buyers get to choose what category they think their request goes in. That means it’s going to be hit or miss. It isn’t like there is a complex algorithm in BR that tries to pointpoint requests for your personally. There isn’t. Buyer’s Choice only.

There are some people who break the rules or get confused and don’t get caught in the limited filtering system. The easiest thing to do is to ignore them. Buyers cannot see what they write in BR anyway, so they aren’t getting anything good by doing that. Just skip them and look at what else is there.

I doubt you’ll see much fixing of that system unless Fiverr changes direction. The site isn’t much intended as a bidding site, that is more of a little tool to give sellers a slight help in finding a couple of buyers here and there.

For the rest, see Buyer Request Complaints (Few Requests, Inconsistencies, Etc.) Updated July 2018