Fiverr Forum

The Morality of selling product reviews

The perils of being a writer means that sooner or later, you’re asked to write reviews for something.
Now I don’t try much for gigs here, I use this site mostly for buying gigs, but I do have an account on another site, where I write under a pseudonym (So that clients don’t trace my accounts on other freelancing sites, some can be weird…) . I recently came across an absolutely terrible product that I sold about 10 reviews for.

Now, those reviews are still there, but there are 4-5 reviews about how someone bought it after reading my review, and was utterly disappointed. One of them said they spent a fair portion of their wage on it.

Which really brings me to the morality of the thing. I didn’t know the item was THAT awful when I wrote the review, yet, shouldn’t I have checked? So I was wondering, what do you guys think is the moral position on this.

P.S: Not on Fiverr, I think Fiverr doesn’t allow selling product reviews anyway, so thought I’d clarify that. Was just a bit affected by what I saw.

Why not get a sample of the product first, try it out yourself and then review it? The review would be more subjective this way.

But not all buyers will go through the hassle of shipping their product to get a paid review.

Your morality set sail for a sad place called Oblivion, when you sold a review for a product which you had no experience of in the first place.

You have made somebody you don’t know utterly miserbale by allowing foreign dollar signs to override your sense of concience. Your not a writer, you’re a journalist.

Aren’t writers journalists though?

Tbh, I never used the product, but the screenshots of said software did not look that bad to me. It was basic and rudimentary, but nothing suggested it was that bad. It was marketed towards small businesses, and I’m starting to really feel bad that people like that actually suffered because of a review I did. It was a sort of one stop solution for managing a business, and was quite pricey :confused:

That is what I’m going to do from now on. I never really realised the effect of a sold review till I came across it today, that too, because of a repeat order, which I am now cancelling

I’m sorry but I have a huge problem trying to reconcile myself with the fact that some people just do not have an inbuilt sense of right and wrong. Either that or they kind of do but need to rely on other people for affirmation. I just don’t get it.

…just read Amazon reviews…is it that hard? ( I only do reviews for games though)

What did you think would happen?

No , writers aren’t journalists. There are many different kinds of writers.

Copywriters: They write advertising copy, they focus on the benefits and ignore the flaws, or excuse them. Sometimes they just use emotion, tell a story, or do something else.

Journalists: They’re supposed to be objective and look at both sides of the issue.

Fiction Writers: They write things that aren’t true. The opposite are nonfiction writers.

Technical Writers: They produce very complicated works such as instructions, programming guides, health guides, etc.

Review Writers: They can create an honest or dishonest review.

As for the morality, that’s irrelevant at this point. Review gigs aren’t safe anymore, third parties complain and Fiverr deletes them. Imagine having 100 positive reviews and seeing all work disappear, it’s heartbreaking.

Also, review gigs aren’t scalable. You can go from $5 to $10, but not from $5 to $50 or $100. Not unless you’re offering multiple reviews which would require multiple accounts. Furthermore, review gigs are painful because sometimes the third party won’t publish what you wrote, or demands too much information.

True on the scalable point, but as I don’t actually sell reviews on Fiverr, but on another platform which does allow them, it’s a bit irrelevant.

You don’t need to post the reviews yourself though, my review gigs were just me giving the content from the point of view of another person, still wrong though.

Imagine you wrote a wonderful book, and nobody’s reading it because it has no reviews, so people think it’s bad. What would you do?

Sometimes things aren’t so simple, maybe it’s wrong to pay for reviews, but from the POV of a writer, it’s wrong to write a book if nobody’s reading it, it’s wrong to fail after putting so much effort.

At the end of the day, no amount of positive reviews is going to save a bad book. 50 Shades of Gray sold well because women loved it, even women who aren’t into s/m love the story. People act like advertising/paid reviews brainwashes people, but the most it can do is get me to the door. A funny McDonald’s commercial gets me through the door, but if the restaurant is dirty, if the service is slow, if the burgers don’t taste well, then I’m never coming back and no amount of advertising can change that. The only thing McDonalds can do is fix their restaurants, talk to their franchisees, and then once they attain a better reputation, maybe I’ll give them a chance again, maybe I won’t.

Every company at some point had hired someone or paid-off, someone, to do a “fake review”, even FORTUNE 500 companies, but in my opinion it’s immoral.

In many cases, projects failed because they didn’t have any reviews or publicity. But it’s considered as manipulation and if the review is totally fake then it is false adverisitng.

Maybe, do it until you are cauhgt. lol

@abdulbasitparke