The most important paragraph in TOS

newsmike

I’ve been seeing a lot of folks posting that they are unfortunately, working for free to avoid a bad review. The following is verbatim from TOS.

“Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page. Buyers may rate their experience with the seller on the order page, including the overall level of service quality received.”

If you have done a good job for the buyer then stick to your guns, send them this piece of TOS and above all keep their money. If you owe them a mod then do it. But do not work for free. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Make a quick response for that TOS quote alone.

** After reading a few recent posts, it seems that it may be necessary to remind CS about this clause in TOS when weighing requests to refund/cancel.

I agree. I sometimes do free revisions, but normally I won’t do it. I will be happy to make changes if I made a mistake, however, but most clients want changes in the script, etc. which I don’t consider fixing an error on my part.

I include one revision by default. This is absolutely a great piece of TOS to give the buyer if they are difficult on the revisions.

However, they might leave negative reviews, and that will hurt your business. I find that providing excellent support, high-quality deliveries, and being willing to make some minor changes, even for free, sometimes will render great results and returning clients.

But I’ll say the same: never work for free.

I agree that you shouldn’t work for free, but the reality is that if you’re a newbie and a buyer leaves you a bad review then you might not work again. You can write whatever you want in the reply, but if you have less than 5 reviews and you get that 1star rating then you’re pretty much done.

My second customer was a difficult case and I went for the mutual cancellation option because it would have ruined my average completely. After that I did some research in this forum and learned how to avoid such clients.

So I wouldn’t say never.
You need to evaluate your options and go with the one that makes more sense in the long run.

I agree that you shouldn’t work for free, but the reality is that if you’re a newbie and a buyer leaves you a bad review then you might not work again. You can write whatever you want in the reply, but if you have less than 5 reviews and you get that 1star rating then you’re pretty much done.

My second customer was a difficult case and I went for the mutual cancellation option because it would have ruined my average completely. After that I did some research in this forum and learned how to avoid such clients.

So I wouldn’t say never.

You need to evaluate your options and go with the one that makes more sense in the long run.

@uxreview Yes you need to pick your fights carefully. But after a while, you can at least refuse to work for free.

• 5 months later...

Archived