The Price of Doing Business

gina_riley2

I noticed that I am willing to fork over more money on smaller, cheaper and everyday items. I seem to fret over every nickle and dime on the more expensive items.

As an example,

I will grab a soda or bottle of water at a gas station and pay $2.50 +. I am not upset about the price, I do not try to negotiate or do I give the cashier a hard time about it. I pay, I leave.

I pay out ridiculous amount of money at the movies for popcorn and soda. I don’t hear or see anyone, in line, grumbling at paying up to $20 or more.

On the other hand, I find myself shopping for a few hours on Amazon because I didn’t want to pay too much for a laptop.

• So, $13 small popcorn and soda without a thought.
  • Fretting over if I should pay $549 or $579, better yet spurge and get the $599 on a laptop. I mean, geez, it’s only $30 to $50 bucks more.

I thought about how this relates to buyers mentality on Fiverr. So, to make this long story a wee bit shorter, my question is this:

** Do you find that the buyers are more willing to pay, non negotiate, on your cheaper gigs?

** Do more buyers try to get you to lower your prices for your more expensive gigs?

I find myself shrugging off bad deliveries, on cheaper orders, as “cost of doing business” and move on. 😒

On the other hand, when I get a bad delivery on a gig that I paid good money for, boy do I get mad. 😡

I like how you are analyzing and thinking about buyer behavior. It is an entire subject taught at some colleges in the marketing departments.

There are the buyers who want it as inexpensive as they can get it and those who don’t care much about the cost. They do not ever try to get me to lower the price.

I’m not sure what the difference is but it is probably a combination of some having much more disposable income than others, combined with much more desire to be getting the best possible options and service.

The motivations are also another factor in my gigs with some simply being curiosity seekers.

I like how you are analyzing and thinking about buyer behavior. It is an entire subject taught at some colleges in the marketing departments.

There are the buyers who want it as inexpensive as they can get it and those who don’t care much about the cost. They do not ever try to get me to lower the price.

I’m not sure what the difference is but it is probably a combination of some having much more disposable income than others, combined with much more desire to be getting the best possible options and service.

The motivations are also another factor in my gigs with some simply being curiosity seekers.

It is an entire subject taught at some colleges in the marketing departments.

DANG! I knew I should have taken marketing. It would have been more useful and interesting!

My job is in the slow phase, so I’ve been spending too much time on the forum reading stuff. Which leads me to thinking and analyzing way too many stuff!

It is an entire subject taught at some colleges in the marketing departments.

DANG! I knew I should have taken marketing. It would have been more useful and interesting!

My job is in the slow phase, so I’ve been spending too much time on the forum reading stuff. Which leads me to thinking and analyzing way too many stuff!

There may be online free or low cost classes in marketing and consumer behavior. You could check the excellent site called Coursera.

There may be online free or low cost classes in marketing and consumer behavior. You could check the excellent site called Coursera.

Hum, I would have never thought of that. I will definitely look into it.

I am taking multiple mandatory online courses at work, so it’s been kind of rough. I am looking forward to the Fall when I have a break and I can finally have some time to take a course for fun - for a change!!

i used this trick in my gig selling strategy.

if i saw order is coming less, i write in my gig at Top of description SALE HURRY LIMITED PERIOD! 😊

I decrease the price of gig upto a certain level, so that i still get profit from it.

After that i saw orders coming in a flow i end the sale offer.
Do my seeling on my normal price.

see the gig in your category which having max selling order, set your gig price lower from that seller.

Most important see the tags of seller which having max order, change your tag similar to that.

we all here freelancer, we have developed ownself creativity.Even top rated seller still continue learning on fiverr, so they get more sales.

Always rember coustomer is gid, due to coustomer fiverr is born.

i learn everyday from fiverr blog, forum, community ,academy because sellers or buyers share their experience on them.

I love this website.

if i saw order is coming less, i write in my gig at Top of description SALE HURRY LIMITED PERIOD! 😊

I decrease the price of gig upto a certain level, so that i still get profit from it.

see the gig in your category which having max selling order, set your gig price lower from that seller.

Most important see the tags of seller which having max order, change your tag similar to that.

we all here freelancer, we have developed ownself creativity.Even top rated seller still continue learning on fiverr, so they get more sales.

i learn everyday from fiverr blog, forum, community ,academy because sellers or buyers share their experience on them.

I love this website.

oops spelling mistake

customer is gid* ( GOD)

I love this website.

i saw orders coming in a flow i end the sale offer.

One word: “Smart😀

That’s really cool!

On fiverr for me up to now it seems the people who buy ‘small gigs’ seem to care more for nickles and dimes and are the ones who’ll start to negotiate and want special prices for more work to come, regular work and all that. But I don’t/didn´t have many who try to negotiate, by far the most accept my offers without trying to get it cheaper.

I suppose most who buy ‘bigger gigs’ either know what they´d pay ‘in real life’, or have compared gigs, or already bought gigs and either know my prices are just fine for work done by a native speaker etc., or bought cheaper gigs and were dissappointed for some reason or other, and are okay with my prices.

Of course I think we all get inbox inquiries from time to time from people who want to pay so godawfully little that we gladly pass on getting that job (or those jobs, plural, as they often are the same people who ‘promise’ us more work if we do it for even less) and who usually are resellers. Not counting those here.

I guess it´s possible that smart buyers who recognize a good or even great price for the given quality might not ‘dare’ to negotiate too much, lest they get to the point, when the seller just will say no altogether.
Like if I go shopping for a new laptop and the price sign is much lower than what I think the machine is worth (after windowshopping and reading reviews for hours, I can relate…), and there is only a limited supply and maybe the next day they´ll be all gone, I´ll hand the seller my debit card and not ask too many questions maybe. 😉

There is another element to the whole thing too, I guess, and that is which kind of buyers and which kind of sellers end up together. But yes, as Miss Crystal says, that´s an entire subject, and more than that, several probably.

Great topic!

It is an interesting phenomenon, the whole issue of buyer behavior, those who negotiate and those who don’t.

I have found that those who negotiate on Fiverr the most have least success. The reason for this is simple:
The level of competition on this site ensures that good sellers only charge what they are worth, they cannot add a bit extra as then they will not make sales. Those who try negotiate will get turned down and so they move on to someone who will do “the same thing” for less. The reality is that if the cheaper seller was able to do the same thing, they would charge more for it.
Of course, there are some exceptions, particularly in the case of new sellers when a review is worth more than the money, but in general the price being asked is the price the job is worth and lower than outside of Fiverr rates.
Buyers need to decide what they want first and come up with the budget instead of deciding their budget first and trying to come up with a what they want.

On fiverr for me up to now it seems the people who buy ‘small gigs’ seem to care more for nickles and dimes and are the ones who’ll start to negotiate and want special prices for more work to come, regular work and all that. But I don’t/didn´t have many who try to negotiate, by far the most accept my offers without trying to get it cheaper.

I suppose most who buy ‘bigger gigs’ either know what they´d pay ‘in real life’, or have compared gigs, or already bought gigs and either know my prices are just fine for work done by a native speaker etc., or bought cheaper gigs and were dissappointed for some reason or other, and are okay with my prices.

Of course I think we all get inbox inquiries from time to time from people who want to pay so godawfully little that we gladly pass on getting that job (or those jobs, plural, as they often are the same people who ‘promise’ us more work if we do it for even less) and who usually are resellers. Not counting those here.

I guess it´s possible that smart buyers who recognize a good or even great price for the given quality might not ‘dare’ to negotiate too much, lest they get to the point, when the seller just will say no altogether.

Like if I go shopping for a new laptop and the price sign is much lower than what I think the machine is worth (after windowshopping and reading reviews for hours, I can relate…), and there is only a limited supply and maybe the next day they´ll be all gone, I´ll hand the seller my debit card and not ask too many questions maybe. 😉

There is another element to the whole thing too, I guess, and that is which kind of buyers and which kind of sellers end up together. But yes, as Miss Crystal says, that´s an entire subject, and more than that, several probably.

Great topic!

people who buy ‘small gigs’ seem to care more for nickles and dimes and are the ones who’ll start to negotiate and want special prices for more work to com

Interesting. I would have figured the $5, $10 buyers would be less inclined to negotiate. I mean it’s $5 for crying out loud. 😦

There is a difference between cheap and savvy.

(Little off topic: I worked with a guy who would drop $30 to $40 on food and wine but would never tip. When a group of us went out, he would grab the tips or the receipts that everyone left and put it in the center of the table. One of my colleagues called him out on it. It was funny and embarrassing at the same time.)

Not sure if he could be classified as cheap, considering the stuff he bought. Sometimes I am completely baffled at the mentality of people.

It is an interesting phenomenon, the whole issue of buyer behavior, those who negotiate and those who don’t.

I have found that those who negotiate on Fiverr the most have least success. The reason for this is simple:

The level of competition on this site ensures that good sellers only charge what they are worth, they cannot add a bit extra as then they will not make sales. Those who try negotiate will get turned down and so they move on to someone who will do “the same thing” for less. The reality is that if the cheaper seller was able to do the same thing, they would charge more for it.

Of course, there are some exceptions, particularly in the case of new sellers when a review is worth more than the money, but in general the price being asked is the price the job is worth and lower than outside of Fiverr rates.

Buyers need to decide what they want first and come up with the budget instead of deciding their budget first and trying to come up with a what they want.

Buyers need to decide what they want first and come up with the budget instead of deciding their budget first and trying to come up with a what they want

We’ll said. It’s already a bargain price here.

I guess what Mila said makes sense. The more expensive buyers already know the value of what they’re getting is like 70% to 90% less, so they’re happy to pay.

I do agree that those who negotiate the most have the least success. However, I don’t agree that good sellers only charge what they are worth.

In the first instance, I usually always offer people ordering bulk work a discount, if I can do this. i.e If someone wants 10 articles on pet grooming, I’ll do this for $85 or $90 depending on the amount of research involved. When, however, a potential buyer comes back and asks if $40 or $50 would be okay, I just say no and suggest that perhaps it would be better for them to find someone else.

What I like about this, is that I get a lot of people who reappear a week later who will pay my regular asking price and are prepared to do so after paying for the same work from a cheaper seller who has delivered them garbage. This means after all, that some buyers end up paying a third more for work than they would have done originally.

That said, I don’t agree that good sellers only charge what they are worth. I say this as a lot of apparently good sellers do ridiculously overcharge for certain services.

Recently, for example, I ordered a $30 voice over. I was also very careful to choose a seller with superb reviews (although they were newish) and give the seller a very detailed brief. What I got back, however, was a voice over completely out of time to the video which I had asked them to narrate a script to. Even worse, the sound quality was appalling.

Long story short, I paid but did go to another place for a VO which I could use.

However, I also see the same with video and logo creation. The vast majority of animated video sellers on Fiverr, for example, use Powtoon or Animaker and can have an explainer video ready in a few hours due to there being lots of template scenes and character interactions which they can use. Some sellers, however, charge upwards of $400 for these kinds of video. - Something which from experience experimenting with the same software, I know means charging $400 for sometimes just 2 hours work max.

Likewise, some top logo sellers on Fiverr who charge $$$'s use the exact same free stock image and pre-prepared vectors as those scandalous lower priced logo scammers which are well known about on Fiverr.

In my experience,

• people who order appropriately small gigs ($5 or $10) are more likely to tip than those that order more expensive gigs.
  • people who order inappropriately small gigs (i.e. hope to get away with paying $5 for $50 worth of work) are unlikely to negotiate (it’s $5 or it’s nothing for them).
  • people who want more expensive gigs grumble sometimes, and some order and some don’t.

I only negotiate on the solution, not the cost. By that I mean that I can sometimes give the buyer options that are cheaper and even though it might not be as convenient for them, it might fit their purpose.

In my experience,

• people who order appropriately small gigs ($5 or $10) are more likely to tip than those that order more expensive gigs.
  • people who order inappropriately small gigs (i.e. hope to get away with paying $5 for $50 worth of work) are unlikely to negotiate (it’s $5 or it’s nothing for them).
  • people who want more expensive gigs grumble sometimes, and some order and some don’t.

I only negotiate on the solution, not the cost. By that I mean that I can sometimes give the buyer options that are cheaper and even though it might not be as convenient for them, it might fit their purpose.

I rarely buy $5 gigs anymore. Nowadays, I go for at least $10 or more.

Tipping has been kinda weird for me this year. I am trying the whole pre-tipping on my regulars to save me money. I also started to give bigger tips on every 2nd or 3rd order vice smaller tips on every order.

Whichever method I choose, it just doesn’t feel right for me when I do not tip some of my best sellers. I try telling myself, “Okay, I already tip them at the beginning of the order or I know I am going to tip them on the next order.”

I dunno, I guess it’s that whole having been a waitress in a former life thing. When someone does a great job, I automatically feel the urge, the need, the desire to leave a gratuity.

I am kinda surprise that you get tips on smaller orders and not on larger orders. Logically speaking, larger orders equals to greater value & more work for that value, therefore it should lead to bigger tip.

At least that’s how I do it.

I rarely buy $5 gigs anymore. Nowadays, I go for at least $10 or more.

Tipping has been kinda weird for me this year. I am trying the whole pre-tipping on my regulars to save me money. I also started to give bigger tips on every 2nd or 3rd order vice smaller tips on every order.

Whichever method I choose, it just doesn’t feel right for me when I do not tip some of my best sellers. I try telling myself, “Okay, I already tip them at the beginning of the order or I know I am going to tip them on the next order.”

I dunno, I guess it’s that whole having been a waitress in a former life thing. When someone does a great job, I automatically feel the urge, the need, the desire to leave a gratuity.

I am kinda surprise that you get tips on smaller orders and not on larger orders. Logically speaking, larger orders equals to greater value & more work for that value, therefore it should lead to bigger tip.

At least that’s how I do it.

I think with the larger orders, people are already spending more than they expected (I mean, after all, it’s only Excel!), hence they don’t tip.

The pre-tipping thing is confusing for me unless you say, this includes a tip. Case in point, I currently have an order from someone who’s ordered from me before. They never message me, just order. This time they’ve bought the premium package but what they want is really only the standard package. Is this a pre-tip, or do I have to give them a credit voucher? What usually happens if someone does this is I try and do more than they’ve asked for; not just a bit more but a gig more. But maybe I’m delivering things they don’t really need? I just feel obligated in some way. I’m pretty sure that’s not what’s intended by the buyer.

I think with the larger orders, people are already spending more than they expected (I mean, after all, it’s only Excel!), hence they don’t tip.

The pre-tipping thing is confusing for me unless you say, this includes a tip. Case in point, I currently have an order from someone who’s ordered from me before. They never message me, just order. This time they’ve bought the premium package but what they want is really only the standard package. Is this a pre-tip, or do I have to give them a credit voucher? What usually happens if someone does this is I try and do more than they’ve asked for; not just a bit more but a gig more. But maybe I’m delivering things they don’t really need? I just feel obligated in some way. I’m pretty sure that’s not what’s intended by the buyer.

The pre-tipping thing is confusing for me unless you say, this includes a tip.

Some sellers actually have a tip extra that I can buy either right on the gig page or during check-out (those that have the package).

If they don’t and I want to pre-tip, I tell them. The two below are my standard blurbs.

• I bought six gigs but only need four, so consider the other two gigs your pre-tip for the amazing job that I already know you’re going to do!

• I wasn’t quite sure how many words would be adequate for the article you are writing for me so I ordered four gigs but I only need two. I do not expect you to work for free and I did not want to limit you, in case it required additional words. If you find you do not need the extra gig, please consider it an advanced gratuity and feel free to keep it.

I am guessing your customers are doing the same thing, but they really should tell you; otherwise, it’s kinda awkward.

I would guess it’s a form of tipping. I have generous repeat buyers sometimes who do things like that. Some buyers are truly nice that way.

The pre-tipping thing is confusing for me unless you say, this includes a tip.

Some sellers actually have a tip extra that I can buy either right on the gig page or during check-out (those that have the package).

If they don’t and I want to pre-tip, I tell them. The two below are my standard blurbs.

• I bought six gigs but only need four, so consider the other two gigs your pre-tip for the amazing job that I already know you’re going to do!

• I wasn’t quite sure how many words would be adequate for the article you are writing for me so I ordered four gigs but I only need two. I do not expect you to work for free and I did not want to limit you, in case it required additional words. If you find you do not need the extra gig, please consider it an advanced gratuity and feel free to keep it.

I am guessing your customers are doing the same thing, but they really should tell you; otherwise, it’s kinda awkward.

it’s kinda awkward.

Yep 🙂

I think the ‘waitress in a former life’ thing respectively what you work/ed yourself and the general ‘tipping habits’ in your country may play a big role.
Many Germans for instance might not tip even if they get outstanding service from a small business when it´s the actual owner who did the work, while they would tip an employee. It´s that tipping the owner is seen as some kind of ‘insult’ by them, though I believe that notion is on the decline. I guess Zeus might be able to say something to that tangent of ‘the tipping phenomenon’ too.

Archived