The results formula?

frank_d

Hey everyone!

This one has been on my mind for quite some time now, but it wasn’t until a few days ago that I saw a couple of posts that actually troubled me, a lot.

I see a lot of forum members posting about how after X amount of days they are not seeing any results, and how disappointed they are.

I also noticed that it’s easy for senior members of the forum -myself included- to kind of jump on them, and tell them what they should or shouldn’t be doing, and how they shouldn’t feel disappointed.

First of all, I think we all could be a bit more empathetic, and recognize that disappointment and frustration are valid feelings we all experienced on our journey. Especially early on.

Heck I am feeling rather frustrated myself these past couple of weeks, due to a combination of tough, long-term projects and a mental burnout I am currently experiencing.

Framing the problem

But the main thing I want to cover with this post, is something I stumbled upon when mentoring the first group of freelancers via my private group.

I mistakenly made the assumption that, given my success on the platform, and my overall growth as a businessman these past 7 or so years, I had a recipe for success, ready to be replicated by anyone.

So I found it rather frustrating when I hit a wall with some of the freelancers in my group, who seemed to be doing everything right on paper, but for some reason couldn’t quite “take off”.

That’s when I decided to tackle this, the same way I approach most of the challenges in my life: I needed a framework of sorts.

The formula

Here’s the formula I came up with:

Luck + Context + Skills = SUCCESS.

Let’s break it down.

Luck is probability.

Context is the set of conditions your are operating in.

Skill is the ability to perform a task, at a high level of proficiency.

So when we talk to people about their journey on Fiverr (and freelancing in general) we need to take into account all 3 elements, otherwise we can’t help them.

Dangerous business advice

If we take those three elements into account, suddenly it’s easy see that one’s success or failure, is a bit more complex than what we would want to admit.

Some forum members come to me with questions, looking for the exact path I took, the precise actions/decisions that brought me to be a TRS/Pro seller.

I answer most of the questions I get, truthfully and as openly as possible, but I just realised that the questions themselves are framed in a way that is most certainly going to lead to bad advice.

Most questions fail to take into account or acknowledge the nuances that lead to my success.

When did I first join the platform?
What was my socio-economic background?
Where did I live at the time?
What did I major in?
Did I have a mentor?

The list goes on.

Which is mainly the reason why I stopped doling out advice recently, and tried to re-examine how I could still answer questions and offer suggestions to members of the community, whilst making sure I don’t offer advice that may end up not being helpful.

A new framework

So here are the 4 steps that create a framework for improvement:

1. Observation
    Try to improve your ability to understand the context through observation.
    Practice observing, not just seeing things around you.

2. Orientation
    Expand your ability to orient yourself to the observations you manage to make.
    Use frameworks and knowledge to make sense of your observations.
    Gain said knowledge and create the frameworks by reading and talking to people who have already done the learning part.

That will lead you to make better decisions.

1. Real decisions
    A decision isn’t just saying yes to something. It’s also turning your back to something else. It means you make just one selection from a list of viable alternatives. (viability of said alternatives, is derived by the 3 elements of the formula)

2. Action
    There’s nothing left to do but act. Sometimes acting is something dramatic. Like updating your profile pic, and deleting gigs. Other times it’s simply to stay where you are and observe what the marketplace is doing. But you must never remain trapped in the observation phase. You will need to act in order to see change.

So my latest piece of advice, if you want to take it:

Seek advice that considers context.
Anything generic, just won’t do. It will end up making you feel bad about not being able to replicate something, you probably are not capable of understanding, let alone achieve.

Develop your observation skills, it’s the only way to find patterns.

And finally, try to develop frameworks and mental models to improve your decision making process.

After watching the “Last dance” documentary, I started to think that I may now have a shot at becoming as good of a basketball player as Jordan.

But by observing my context, luck and skill, I was able to conclude that I probably won’t.

And that’s OK. 🙂

In fact it’s liberating, and allows me to focus on making my jump shot just good enough so I can get 5 in a row.

Thank you for reading, hopefully this will spark some interesting conversations!

I always look forward to your posts, Frank - thanks for this one.

Context on Fiverr right now is a major thing - Covid, resulting tsunami of new sellers … accompanied by a not so overwhelming ripple of new buyers.

I’ve observed that … well, there’s not so much in the way of impressions to go around. This bothers the newbies and the more experienced … because, fewer impressions, fewer clicks - and therefore fewer conversions. Added to which, although no one is copying my gigs, a great many successful sellers are finding copies of their gigs, some of which are doing better than the originals are!

In cultures where entire villages share their resources, it’s possible that there’s a misunderstanding - we consider this type of “sharing” of gigs to be stealing. All offenders should and will be reported and possibly banned.

I’m not convinced the algorithm is working properly. It’s an opinion.

And last but not least … looking at my orders recently, they’re mostly returning buyers - which is great for me! But for those who have just started - well, that’s where my (and yours, probably) luck comes in. Those who started well before Covid, have returning buyers to tide us over while the tsunami peaks … and then recedes. Which it will. Eventually - a year or so, I think.

On the basis of all of that, my decision is to stick it out, make small changes, refuse work/buyers that raise red flags for me … and build alternative income from other places. Relying on Fiverr alone is just not workable …

So, yeah, taking action on that. More than I was already.

Hey @coerdelion

I think you are right.

It’s definitely harder for people who came on the platform post Covid-19 to get orders in and grow their business. It’s not impossible though.

The algorithm works. And by “works” I mean it is functioning as intended: making Fiverr money with as little friction as possible.

The way it now works, favors skill less and less. Which is what I think sucks the most, as it messes with my core belief that we live in a just world, where hard work and determination are rewarded.

But to be fair, the algorithm is skewed because of the influx of new sellers, the mindless copying of gigs and the relentless SEO hacks newbies apply.

Looking into our luck and context is important. We need information in order to decide to act so we can better our situation.

Hmm … reducing the influence of skill on the algorithm, at least for a short time after joining - and the private reviews -would explain why so many newbies are getting their first orders … and then nothing.

Raising their hopes … and then dashing them, because skill really is important.

As to “hard work and determination [being] rewarded” - it depends where you start …

… always has …

It seems my luck is not working all great. What else I can do? I was getting orders but then I noticed someone copied the text of my gig and they started getting higher and my orders were starting to reduce. Then I had to change my gig text and it did not work. I tried that many times but no luck

It seems my luck is not working all great. What else I can do? I was getting orders but then I noticed someone copied the text of my gig and they started getting higher and my orders were starting to reduce. Then I had to change my gig text and it did not work. I tried that many times but no luck

I think you misread my post.

I am trying to explain how someone’s success is actually a bit more complex than their skill level, or how great their gigs are.

On your original post you mentioned how your sales dropped after Fiverr added a lot of subcategories.

So I would start there. Maybe your offerings are no longer relevant, since you failed to move along when the algorithm did.

Your offerings may appear unfocused to the new algo, so its not serving you up to laser-focused buyer searches.

So if you want to talk about your “luck”, in essence we are talking about your probability of success. Which may have decreased if you failed to keep up with how Fiverr works now.

I think you misread my post.

I am trying to explain how someone’s success is actually a bit more complex than their skill level, or how great their gigs are.

On your original post you mentioned how your sales dropped after Fiverr added a lot of subcategories.

So I would start there. Maybe your offerings are no longer relevant, since you failed to move along when the algorithm did.

Your offerings may appear unfocused to the new algo, so its not serving you up to laser-focused buyer searches.

So if you want to talk about your “luck”, in essence we are talking about your probability of success. Which may have decreased if you failed to keep up with how Fiverr works now.

I understand but the issue is that Fiverr allows me to choose 5 topics only while my service covers 50+ topics / niches then how do I justify or tell clients that i can cover all 50 niches not just 5

I understand but the issue is that Fiverr allows me to choose 5 topics only while my service covers 50+ topics / niches then how do I justify or tell clients that i can cover all 50 niches not just 5

I don’t think that’s what your issue is.

In fact, your inability to focus is the root of your problems.

Casting a wide net will no longer work on Fiverr.

You need to focus on the 5 types of authors you can serve best and then you can increase your probability of landing them.

You can research which 5 types of books are most popular now and make sure your offering is adapted so it caters to them.

I don’t think that’s what your issue is.

In fact, your inability to focus is the root of your problems.

Casting a wide net will no longer work on Fiverr.

You need to focus on the 5 types of authors you can serve best and then you can increase your probability of landing them.

You can research which 5 types of books are most popular now and make sure your offering is adapted so it caters to them.

I am not sure this is the issue because narrowing down the niches is an issue because you cannot just target Authors who write Novels despite this is the most popular niche. WHY? Because even novel writers do have sub-niches to narrow down it to more than 20+ niches and where Fiverr is letting me and many others down.

I am not sure this is the issue because narrowing down the niches is an issue because you cannot just target Authors who write Novels despite this is the most popular niche. WHY? Because even novel writers do have sub-niches to narrow down it to more than 20+ niches and where Fiverr is letting me and many others down.

Well you can listen to the Pro/TRS seller who still gets orders in, or you can just keep banging your head against the proverbial wall.

Your call.

EDIT:

I am not implying I know everything or have all the answers but I don’t think I can help you when you are not even pretending to listen to me. 🙂

Well you can listen to the Pro/TRS seller who still gets orders in, or you can just keep banging your head against the proverbial wall.

Your call.

EDIT:

I am not implying I know everything or have all the answers but I don’t think I can help you when you are not even pretending to listen to me. 🙂

Frank, I do not say that I am not ready to listen you but maybe I am not able to understand and implement what you want me to do.

Maybe I need an expert who can help me customize my gig description to target clients

Frank, I do not say that I am not ready to listen you but maybe I am not able to understand and implement what you want me to do.

Maybe I need an expert who can help me customize my gig description to target clients

I don’t think waiting for an expert to guide you step by step, is the answer.

You need to familiarize yourself with basic marketing concepts, otherwise you will always run into the same trouble.

When I point you to a different direction, and your response is “no I don’t think that’s it”, that means that any “expert” who comes your way will not be able to help you.

You need to help yourself.

Learn, decide, act.

I don’t think waiting for an expert to guide you step by step, is the answer.

You need to familiarize yourself with basic marketing concepts, otherwise you will always run into the same trouble.

When I point you to a different direction, and your response is “no I don’t think that’s it”, that means that any “expert” who comes your way will not be able to help you.

You need to help yourself.

Learn, decide, act.

But can you tell me which of the niches should I choose as I am into formatting books

Not exactly but some guidance on how and where to start this research

Browse Fiverr and see what kind of books people write, what kind of covers your competitors make.

Also google trends can help.

And finally visit amazon and see their top selling categories.

I think you are in denial and cannot accept that you are asking for people to do the work for you.

You are in a tough spot and that always clouds judgement.

But you need to be honest with yourself.

It’s OK to find things scary.

But information is the resolution to ignorance.

And ignorance is what fuels most of your fears.

I was trying to focus on this formula But these all are not working

What’s not working for you?

This formula is not a formula for succeeding.

I didn’t lay out a framework for you to perform better, necessarily.

It’s a framework for understanding the variables that lead to success.

With that being said, what is it that’s not working for you?

What is it that you can’t observe/evaluate?

I think it’s probably a bit advanced for you @raj_proservice - try these articles first, which may be more help:

https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service

Guidelines / Do’s and Dont’s - Updated 2018Of as much importance as the rules above, these are some additional items to keep in mind as they are suggested best practices and though they may not all be strictly against the rules, posts may be removed/edited and users may have their accounts affected if they push the boundaries too far. First - when the new forum was launched on 12/19/2016 it came with a default set of FAQs/Guidelines. These will be merged later, but for now they should also be…

I read a lot of wonderful posts here but never contributed much. So, in this post, I’ll share my insights for what I’ve learned in my Fiverr journey and how can you get more orders if you are a new and level 1 seller. A little about myself first- I am a 27 yr old digital marketer and joined Fiverr last September. I’ve been jumping forth and back from New Seller to Level 1 (credit to the order completion rate). I still don’t make much from Fiverr, it’s around $150-$200/month but it pays some of…

Introduction– This is not a list on how to make gigs. This is for gigs that are already made that are under-performing, need an overhaul, or just need somewhere to start for self-evaluation/education. It does contain a few general-information bits, and can help during gig creation, but that is neither the focus nor the intent. For more information on any of the following sections or points, please see ‘Other Resources’ under (RRD) at the end of this post. Sections: (TCT) Title, Category, and…

In my recent poll, the following results occurred. 51% of us admitted “I do not do enough marketing”30% of us know/believe “I do not show up in search results”Only 12% of us have “got an order from a client I brought to Fiverr myself”Only 10% of us have “got an order from a client through social media”7% said “Our marketing is not working even though I spend time and money on it”It is clear that we need to do more ourselves to build our business and increase our sales. If you read the fo…

We’ve all seen these posts here on the forum from time to time. Many sellers have the same question: “Why isn’t my gig visible when I search for it?” and “What’s up with Fiverr’s algorithm? My gig is on the last page!!!”. In this post I’ll try to answer those questions, and give some (hopefully) helpful tips and tricks to help you rank your gig in Fiverr Search, and get more orders and better visibility. This isn’t a full-proof guide in any way. Following these tips doesn’t guarantee top plac…

So many new sellers come on the forum complaining that they have been on the site for a few days or weeks and are fed up waiting for orders. Some sellers wait months or more to get their first order! Don’t wait! Check out: https://forum.fiverr.com/c/Fiverr-Tips/tips-for-sellers for hundreds of tips on how to get orders. Take time to read, learn, and take action! That is the only way to get orders! Be a Doer! Try it out for yourself! Good luck! slightly_smiling_face

Making money on Fiverr is becoming more difficult these days, with so many new people joining up hoping to earn money on Fiverr quickly. Here are my thoughts on this - and, yes, it involves some work and thought before publishing a gig!

People keep repeating the same wrong advice - and newbies are deceived by it. Here’s my take on it - share if you feel so inclined:

Archived