Fiverr Community Forum

The saga of spam continues

Although it is not genuine spam, Today I have now received my 4th request to proofread documents that are academic in nature and it is only 12:10 am! Ugh! This really messes with my ability to convert buyers who message me into sales! :tired_face:

5 Likes

Evident that Fiverr needs to add a red text on top of most pages for buyers that reads “Inappropriate content and requests for work academic in nature are not allowed and submitting them may result in the suspension of your account”. Period.

Has to happen or this will never stop. It can’t be that I open BRs and someone is asking for art of a pregnant Pokémon.

@vibronx as for your buyer, since they seem to have a genuine account with multiple purchases: I think they were copy-pasting sentences and/or talking to multiple sellers for other language translations, then got confused/misclicked a tab and proceeded to goof by forwarding you the wrong message.

5 Likes

One time, I had typed “pay attention” and Fiverr said something about not paying outside of the platform… I wonder if they could have a similar trigger when people type “academic” or “essay.”

3 Likes

Essay might work, but rarely do they say the word academic. They usually say I have an assignment or a paper to proofread.

2 Likes

Lol. I receive these messages at least once a week. Sometimes they just copy and paste the name of other sellers they sent the message first.

I used to get mad with this kind of speculating users. Now I just politely troll them back.

2 Likes

I don’t know what’s going on… for the last 2 or 3 weeks I’ve been receiving 3 or 4 SPAMs a day whereas I used to receive only 1 or 2 a month.

I had a couple days like that, too! I got another yesterday (although the system put it straight to spam, I saw it on my phone) - they were trying to ask how I got ‘so popular’ (and to add them on IG to tell them the details…)
(this was AFTER telling them that contacting other sellers is against the ToS.)
I do wonder if it really is because some ‘guru’ sent all the newbies our way…

1 Like

I’m going to be honest (might have been just me who was broke) but I’ll never get how uni / college students actually have the money to get their assignments done (or proofread!) if they are sneaky enough! Seriously, when I was in school (both at home and when I was in language school in China or France, so not just a broke Hungarian thing) I couldn’t afford it haha!
It does worry me though (I had 3-5 very irrelevant messages on my -very obviously a game - gig… Some of course were academic, too so…

2 Likes

Check out about what you can and can’t proofread with CS. It’s important that it is just proofreading, no commentary etc but we are now allowed proofread just about anything.

2 Likes

I know we can proofread distortions and theses. But this is the variety I got this morning.

2 Likes

Oh no :joy: Some BR are even meme worthy

1 Like

Oh yeah, nothing about rephrasing/rewriting etc for sure. Means they copied it from somewhere else and want you to make it pass the plagiarism test.

2 Likes

I get these all the time. Someone will message me about about writing an article for them. I’ll ask how long they need it to be …500, 700, or 1,000 words and give them the price and delivery times. They tell me that I have to do a survey to get the details of the job because their boss locked it behind a wall and you have to do the survey to reach it. I just hit the “spam” button after telling them that this is the 4th, 5, or 6th one of these I have gotten this week and that I have just reported them to Fiverr. There is no reply after that.

2 Likes

I wonder how much they make off of unsuspecting new sellers who don’t recognize that they’re being scammed/

1 Like

Please - no more of these banned words. I’m sick of people sending messages with p-ay, p a y, pai and e-mail, e m a i l, emale etc just because they are terrified of the warning.
Aaand, decent people can’t even say papaya without a warning!

3 Likes

Unless I can understand what they’re saying when a potential buyer contacts me, they are automatically blocked these days. I’ve had it with timewasters and people who want something for nothing. Just because the starting price is five bucks doesn’t mean everyone actually works for five bucks.

It’s not just spam messages within fiverr, either. Has anyone else seen the amount of spam from so-called ‘sellers’ popping up outside the site, on social media feeds and such? My husband says it looks highly suspicious and must be putting off a lot of potential new users. That, of course, leaves more space for the spammers and scammers and damages the site’s reputation further.

1 Like

Okay, that made me gigglesnort. Although, every time someone uses a ‘dear’ word, it makes me cringe so heavily. Either day, spam is a spam but at least this one made you smile. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree - I stumbled about a facebook group that has a lot of… Interesting content. The issue is that spam is spam, it’s existed for a very long time (so I doubt it can really be eliminated) but I do wish it wasn’t the case.

What I think these people think is that one out of who knows how many people they message will have to order from them if anything just because they are annoyed? I am tempted to do it one but I’m against spam so I’m not sure feeding it would be a good idea. Still I wonder if their game writing would measure up to mine! Maybe I could even find as assistant this way.
(please note my sleepy attempt at sarcasm)

2 Likes

I asked and this was the reply I got.

1 Like

Well that’s good to know and a pretty important change to what I was told, albeit 2.5 years ago. Once again, Fiverr decides not to announce it though.