Fiverr Forum

The Sheer Lunacy of Some Buyers

It always baffles (and frustrates) me when I have a potential buyer that comes to me, wants to work with me because of my strong seller reputation, but chooses to pursue a conversation like the one briefly quoted here:

(And, yes, sadly, there ARE many buyers like this out there.)

BUYER: “…it will be a waste if I order more then 1 name [idea] and I only need 1. Please can you do this name free?”

ME: “Unfortunately, no, I cannot work for free.”

BUYER: “Can you do this and deliver within 24 hours and ensure .com and .co.uk availability?”

ME: I explain that my gig clearly notes that I do not offer 24-hour rush, and I don’t offer domain names included within my $10 lowest price, 1-name idea, brand development package.

BUYER: “So can u just do 1 name with .com and .co.uk availability for $5”

ME: I remind him of what I just told him: “My lowest priced package costs $10 and does not include domain names.” – I then describe my other more expensive packages (that would easily fit his service request) and I specifically explain the services listed within those packages – which are all clearly listed on my gig page.

BUYER: “Thats a bit expensive… I’ll order $10 now if you guarantee me domain included… Help me here buddy.”

ME: “Professional talent and skill costs $$. I’ve been building brands for (I list my many earned credentials), I cannot offer all of my skills and services for only $5. I am happy to help, but my listed prices and services are non-negotiable.”

BUYER: “I’ll order $10 now if you guarantee me domain included.” – The buyer then proceeds to promise that if I agree to offer everything he needs for almost nothing, he will have other work to give me sometime in the future. Of course, I have no interest in falling for hollow promises.

ME: “Like I said, domain names are not included within my $10 Basic package…”

BUYER: “So you can’t help me out here and include it with a domain?” – The buyer than proceeds to ask if I’ll give him free start-up business ideas – that aren’t brand ideas – for the kind of business he’s thinking about starting in his chosen business field.

ME: “My prices and current services are clearly listed. I cannot offer them for less than the listed price.”

BUYER: “I need a unique business idea that is related to (he lists his business category)… I will then raise funds on indiegogo and get the product built… we will discuss cost later.”

ME: “Nope. Cost is part of my package services. You will need to purchase those services before I can work on completing them.”

BUYER: “So the $10 package?”

ME: “My $10 package will include one name idea, and NO DOMAIN NAME.”

After a few more minutes of him not listening to me…

BUYER: “Ok I’ll see what to do and get back to you… Thanks. I’ll be back soon.”

The frustating thing is, this is the SECOND time he and I have had this conversation. The first time was back in March.

And he’s not the only buyer that has tried this “I want free work from Jon” tactic.

So…

Here are a few tips for any new buyer seeking talented sellers here on Fiverr.

1. Don’t beg for free work. Sellers are selling their services here on Fiverr. Yes, SELLING. This is their job – their livelihood. You are not entitled to free work just because you want it.

2. Don’t try to negotiate discounts on the lowest listed price. It’s not going to happen.

3. If the listed services are too expensive, find someone else who offers them for less. You are not entitled to a lower price from a certain seller, merely because you want those services, and they aren’t available for your measly only-a-few-dollars budget.

4. Listen to your seller. His/her services are listed as they are for a reason, and he/she has chosen to price them the way he/she has because that is what they cost. The seller does not have to bend to your wishes, just because you want a cheap, cheap, cheap deal.

5. Listen to your seller. Seriously, LISTEN to what he/she tells you. Yes, clean out your ears, and actually LISTEN.

6. Don’t make hollow promises of future work (that you know full well you aren’t going to follow up on), just so you can get a cheap deal now. That’s one of the oldest tactics in the negotiating book. And it only works on gullible, inexperienced sellers. For most sellers, it’s a major turn-off, and it will kill most negotiations right there on the spot.

7. Don’t come back months later, and try the same foolish strategy all over again. If a seller says no once, the odds are strong they’ll still say no a few months later.

In conclusion, don’t be this buyer. Be as professional, courteous, and polite a buyer as you want your seller to be toward you. If you can’t afford the listed prices, you’re not going to get them for only a few dollars. Find a cheap seller, that will give you the cheap unprofessional work that you want.

I (and most sellers reading this) am a professional in my field, with a strong reputation, valuable earned credentials, and a desire to offer my services for a fair price. – I/we make the rules in my/our gig(s), and I/we will be generous if I/we feel like being generous, and it doesn’t kill my/our profit margin.

I (and most sellers reading this) deliver top-quality work. Don’t ask us to devalue that work, so that you can get everything you want for only a few dollars. It 'ain’t gonna happen, buddy. :wink:

We’ll see if my buyer comes back, and continues his foolish “strategy”.

I look forward to telling him “no” a third time. :stuck_out_tongue:

OMG. These people don’t seem to get the fact that we are working for literal peanuts here. I’m sure that in the retail world your services would cost multiples more. Yet they haggle. Yet they haggle.

Yep. The sense of entitlement is astounding.

But at the end of the day, there are those great buyers that love what you do, come back again and again, pay the fair price and leave you a tip. People are funny, ya know.

Indeed. I’ve worked with a few thousand wonderful clients. Many of them are repeat buyers. The few bad apples – like the one in my OP conversation – are a small percentage of the people I’ve communicated with, and even then, most of those bad apples go away empty-handed (because I have no interest in devaluing my services just to get their sale).

It’s a fact of doing business just about anywhere. The sad part is that there really are people – like that guy – who think it’s okay to be a me-me-me customer. It’s not okay. And it doesn’t work.

And for those who are new sellers… it shouldn’t work for you either.

In the past, I would’ve said “Unbelievable!”, but we’re past the past, and now I look back at a couple of wannabe-buyers who resemble the buyer you mentioned: one of them basically contacts me every year on June 1st starting the same conversation like it never happened before, same requests/demands, same “too expensive” acts, it’s a friggin’ deja-vu for me! Every year!

And the other one does it around every 3-4 months, but is a bit different: all they do is ask questions to make sure my service is what they expect it to be, and they disappear for the next 3-4 months, after which the same questions are being asked.

To get over these whole annoying deja-vu situations, I’m just telling myself that they suffer from amnesia or Alzheimer’s… otherwise I simply cannot explain it.

P.S. in your case, though, it might have been some kind of subtle hypnotic psychology trick, like being overly persistent about the $10 up to the point of making you think that you’re the one accepting their offer instead of them accepting yours :smiley:

I would have cut it off at this point.:scissors:

And maybe respond with something along the lines of “I’m sorry dear ma’am, I can’t help you” :smiley:

I have just been asked to rank a new real estate site at number one in Google, blah, blah, blah for $50 maximum.

The site has only Lorem Ipsum content.
I told him that he needed to add 3 zeroes to his budget and then we could consider the POSSIBILITY of getting somewhere.
PS: In a roundabout way of course, I wouldn’t ever speak to a client that way regardless of the level of “sheer lunacy”

Every year? :open_mouth: … I want to make a comment about brain cells… but I won’t. :wink:

Well, I was – in a polite sort of way. He wasn’t interested. He desperately wanted cheap work.

Maybe he received $5 allowance from his parents – or the tooth fairy, and that was all he had available to spend. Still, I don’t give him any points for failing to listen, and continuing to try. :wink:

I’m guessing that the appropriate price of $50,000 wasn’t what he expected. :wink:

I love Fiverr, but I will admit, the original “everything for $5” model built a certain kind of reputation (with some buyer segments) that Fiverr can’t seem to shake. That’s not so much Fiverr’s fault, but it does appear to be a challenge for some expectant buyers.

I’m almost certain that there are some, shall we say, “clueless gurus”, in certain parts of the world, that are writing blog posts, posting terrible seller advice, and encouraging a get-rich-quick mindset for new sellers here on Fiverr. It challenges Fiverr to have so many “clueless sellers” joining our seller ranks, and then discovering the hard way that what they were told by the “gurus” is complete and utter cow manure. :wink:

No, it was a dose of realism he didn’t expect but we did have a good conversation about why it would cost that. I do actually expect him to buy a consultation at some point. To be fair too, the multitude of sellers offering to “rank any site for any keyword but the effects take 31+ days, for $5” probably doesn’t help (30 days being the maximum time Fiverr will give a refund for failure to deliver what was promised).

Yeah, its a big challenge to shake the old model but I am also noticing a lot more clients who do not balk at higher prices so they are doing something right.

Oh yes, came across another guru blog today, apparently anyone can be a V/O, come up with brand names, create resumes and proofread…

Good point. I’m happy to see this in my own sales as well.

And it’s usually those “anyones” who populate the lower levels of Fiverr’s ratings. :stuck_out_tongue:

As someone who builds brands… and has professional voice-over training, I can honestly say, neither are easy career fields. Ya gotta know what you’re doing, in order to do it well.

But I read it on the internet?
Ditto for proofreading.

Yes, it is only the first reply that counts against your numbers anyway, so after this you can ignore without concern.

I couldn’t agree more with you!

Sadly there are buyers like this and I always ask them:

How much is your brand’s image worth? if it is important for you and what you are expecting is a high quality product then that will require time and effort which in turn has a cost.

It also wouldn’t be fair to my other customers if I was to give you a lower price.

From my experience (I have fallen in this trap one or twice before) the most difficult buyers are the ones who ask for exceptions before placing an order.

That’s also an excellent point. Many buyers don’t understand what a brand truly is, or what it can do. And the knowledge of that, in and of itself, has immense value for that buyer’s brand. Building a brand cheaply often comes back to bite the buyer later on. A brand is more than just words or a pretty logo.

I love almost every single one of my awesome buyers…but, yeah. I wish I could like this post about 15 times. :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed this too…I’m seeing more and more buyers who are willing to pay higher prices than before as well. It’s a very encouraging sign.