Fiverr Forum

There are buyers scamming sellers over here

I recently delivered an order that a buyer approved with a five-star rating. It was a $150 order for 15 articles. I worked with this buyer in the past. This was his sixth order. And he always gave me 5-stars in every review.

While reviewing my article on the California wildfire claims, the buyer said that the words “Camp Fire” made little sense. He confused Camp Fire with a campfire. I explained to him that the California wildfire is the Camp Fire. He was so annoyed at me pointing out this fact, that he thought I was pointing to his ignorance and he immediately asked me to cancel the order. I refused. But, he kept insisting and reported to Fiverr customer support and got the order cancelled.
Only later I realized this is his modus operandi. Once this buyer asked me to proofread 45000 words written by another seller. He promptly cancelled that order from the seller after showing her the errors outlined (suggested edits) from the proofreading document I sent him.
So, this buyer did the same with me. I did proofread and even sent him a screenshot of the Grammarly report and Copyscape report. But with the intention of cancelling the order, he got some other Seller to proofread a few articles I had written and based on one or two suggested edits, which always happens when you check with the premium version of Grammarly. Grammarly suggested words such as “obviously”, “personal,” are a tautology. As proof, I even sent him a BBC article, even such a reputed publication, which when checked with Grammarly reported 36 edit suggestions in a short 800-word article.
Now, he will use my articles, all 15 of them, after making a few minor changes and I can’t do anything about it. It’s not just the money, it’s the effort and time wasted and the helplessness as a seller because the customer is always right.
I wish Fiverr supported sellers as much as buyers.

So, sellers beware! There are buyers out there waiting to scam us.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing with us, We have to be careful. Did you ask anything to the support that Buyer’s said everything is fine and gave the review as well? You may also dhow them(Fiverr Support) that buyers already use your file that you completed. After successful completion of any project, this kind of horrible things are totally unexceptionable.

1 Like

[quote=“rinkusarkar123, post:3, topic:388231, full:true”]
Thanks for your support.
I contacted Fiverr Support. They said they had already cancelled the order as the buyer contacted them first, and there is nothing they can do about it once they cancel the order. Next time, please contact us first, they said. How can I contact them before they cancel the order? Fiverr support also said that you can’t please all buyers. So, there’s that.

1 Like

You said the buyer insisted on cancelling. Next time, you can contact CS as soon as the buyer demands a cancellation even though you did nothing wrong.

5 Likes

Yes, you’re right. Thanks. It’s just that I didn’t think the buyer would cancel after all the work I did. I didn’t believe he would cancel, as I previously worked with him many times.

It’s amazing how much work some people will put in weaseling out of paying their dues, like abusing proofreading gigs, instead of simply using each gig as they are supposed to be used and focus on their actual job, whatever that is, to make their money. Let’s hope that support is aware of this, but, yes, like already suggested, you need to contact support from your side if someone tries something “funny” because they’ll rig the story they tell support to suit their purpose.

4 Likes

You’re right. That’s exactly what the buyer did. Reported to CS. I didn’t expect him to. Lesson learned.
I sent him every article separately for him to review, (as he asked me to) add hyperlinks and add two related article links to other publications for each article, to see if he found them suitable, and only after he was completely satisfied with all of them, I delivered the order. He gave me a good 5-star review. And after 3 days, he cancelled the order. if he said he didn’t have the money to pay, I wouldn’t feel as bad.
I cancelled his other order, even though I had sent him most of it for reviewing, before delivering.
Wish we could choose our buyers! I console myself remembering what Paul said, It’s better to be wronged than wrong others.

You could limit the number of articles you write per order or maybe use milestones with a max no. of articles per milestone. That way it could be less likely everything the buyer ordered would be cancelled.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do so.

1 Like

For me, this response is simply not good enough. Either an order should be cancelled or it shouldn’t. There should be no “who contacted us first” question about it. In this case, if everything is as you have said above then I would ask Support to compensate me for the cancellation which was their fault. Having some errors in a document is potentially grounds for a revision request, not a cancellation and support SHOULD know that.

Well apparently they can. This buyer had a plan and is now completely pleased that it worked as they planned, with the help of “Support”. Again, it’s just not good enough to be fobbed off like this. Cancelling a $150 order without any kind of checking the situation is just not good enough. Imagine if Fiverr could tell a Support staff member that their day’s wages is being cancelled because they made a mistake? It just wouldn’t and couldn’t happen.

4 Likes

Don’t be disheartened. I know it’s easier said than done but still you can uplift yourself for the wise buyers you’ve come across. Best wishes :grin:

1 Like

perhaps fiverr plate should help seller in this type of situation
i agree with you

1 Like

Yes, I agree. I think there should be a fair system. Here it is disproportionately biased in favor of buyers.
I regret all the effort I put in. The buyer kept changing the anchor text to be hyperlinked and integrated into the article, the particular publication, etc. It was a lot of work.
When the buyer said he would cancel the order, I didn’t think he would cancel the earlier order which he had rated 5-stars, three days ago. I thought he meant the current order which I was working on, which was just a $40 order. So, when he repeatedly said he would cancel the order, it was I who messaged him to go ahead and cancel… I thought it was the current order. I, then,cancelled it myself.
Then he showed this message to CS about me asking him to go ahead and cancel and he made CS cancel the order which was already completed and rated 5-stars.
I didn’t protest much because I don’t want to violate Fiverr’s terms unknowingly, and also, I had done a $300 order a week before this, for the same buyer and knowing how Fiverr supports us, I wouldn’t be surprised if the buyer decided to cancel that as well.

@rinkusarkar123, so sorry for your sad experience. As someone that does writing gig as well, I feel your pain. I would need to be careful these days, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I can understand your agony as I myself have been a victim three times of the same fraud. The support should be netural in dealing with such cases and just not side with buyers as sellers are also giving them benefit.

2 Likes

This is the problem of such sites. The time and effort of the seller is not appreciated, it is very disappointing.

2 Likes

A practiced manipulative buyer can lie and play the victim very convincingly. They can act outraged, hurt, and place blame where it doesn’t belong, when no wrong was done to them at all.

2 Likes

Absolutely, and that’s why anyone who is looking at cancelling orders should look at and rely on the facts. Those are found within the order details and Fiverr ToS. Anything else should be irrelevant.

3 Likes

Who knows what customer support is told when they get a message from one of these types of buyers. I’m sure it sounds like the evil seller did a terrible wrong to them when actually nothing was done wrong.

2 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately, you sell enough here, and you’ll get cheated by someone. Like the people who ignore you gig instructions and place totally unreasonable orders a couple of days before level reviews hoping to get you to agree to their demands because you don’t want that incomplete order stuffing your ratings - had 4 months in a row of people trying that over the last year and a bit.

My favourite was the guy who denied something was for a commercial purpose but for a project, messed me around a whole load, but got the job completed. A year later he comes back for me with another project - obviously for business purposes, but refuses to pay for commercial use. I remind him of the previous occasion, where he now admits it was for a client, but he never sent them my work because he’d rejected it in favour of another provider. He was surprised when I sent the link to my voice all over said client’s website and social media, but still refused to pay for commercial usage for his new order.

And of course, eventually the order is cancelled, and my rating takes a hit, dropping me down a rank (the dangers of being a low volume seller).

Buyers trying to scam wouldn’t be an issue if the platform attempted to protect the sellers that generate all its value. But it is what it is. Unless you are Making fiverr 10s of £1000s a year in their revenue, your opinion ain’t worth a fig to them

2 Likes