There Should Be a Preview of Audio/Video Before Buyer Gets Download Link

tenthtiermedia

So, every once in a blue moon, we’ll have a client that orders a DJ Drop or wants their stems mixed and mastered and for some reason or another, they won’t like the final outcome. We’ll offer to do free modifications, but the buyer is set on just getting a refund. It sucks, but we’ll offer them a refund since it’s usually $5-$10 orders that this happens on. We still feel jipped because the download link is readily available to the buyer once we upload it, so they could easily be lying just to get free work. Very annoying.

The final straw in being angry over this method that Fiverr uses, happened last night when we delivered a commercial (not a spokesperson video, but a real commercial) to a client and their response was “nope. don’t like it. I want a refund”. Now, because so much time and energy went into creating this commercial, especially the quality we gave them which is worth damn more than what they paid for, we feel ripped off as sellers. Could they be lying and try to use the commercial anyways? They could try, but we’ve already warned them about taking legal action if they use it. We never have these problems with local clients because when they preview something, we’re all in the same room together. If they require modifications, we tweak it, have them check out the modded version and once they approve, they get the final product on the media of their choice.

We understand that this is online, but it’d be great if Fiverr could implement a system when where a seller uploads the finished product, it can only be previewed on the buyer’s end until they complete on the order. Once the buyer is satisfied and completes the order, then they’re given the download link. This would be a great way to protect your seller’s and deter a lot of scammers on here from getting free work and wasting seller’s time because if they truly don’t like what’s on the preview and still don’t want modifications, then they can have their refund, but they won’t have the finished product that the seller worked on.

100% Totally agree!!
I delivered a full completed order and gave a Bonus Gig for no extra.
Fiverr’s site duplicated the same order number twice charging the client double, I was asked by the client what they should do? I searched the site for a way they could resolve this as I only delivered to one order but it appeared as delivered on both DUH because they both have the same number, only to told in an email today that I should cease work as a complaint was made, what they failed to state was the client and I agreed the duplicate order number is an obvious site glitch. So now I have lost money as they cancelled not one but both orders and the client has the Gigs!!

Yes let them view first then, if they are happy and click satisfied then should a link to download be visibly active.

Reply to @psychicthe: Yeah because we’re tired of this type of thing happening and customer service literally does nothing to help. Until this is an implemented feature, we’re going to start watermarking all of our work. Once the buyer is satisfied, then they’ll get all files without the watermark. It will be extra work on our end, but if it’s going to protect us until a preview system is put into place then so be it. Last night was the last straw.

So you should, I decided today buggar it if the site treats its servicing patrons like this I’m withdrawing my funds and seriously considering closing my account. Its disgraceful that there is no mediation from them first, I do a service that is on a private level so businesses like mine draw the short straw when it comes to watermarking as it wouldn’t be something they could use publicly. But what you suggest is only common sense, something one would had thought the sites creator would had considered implementing as a safe guard to the businesses, seems we are just the meat in this sandwich.

Reply to @tenthtiermedia: I also noticed they have a 13 day cancellation policy meaning right up till or before the 14th day the client has he right to cancel an order after receiving it completed. Yep put in a button that shows the client is happily satisfied with the work, this way the onus is on them to explain why they decided to be suddenly unsatisfied.

Reply to @psychicthe: Oh yeah. We’ve dealt with this once before. We did DJ Drops for a guy, he completed the order and then 7 or 8 days later he’s asking for modifications or he was going to request a refund. It was like “what happened between you being happy and satisfied to being angry right now?” Having the preview system would clear all of this up and hopefully change the cancellation policy with it.

• 2 years later...

Audio categories NEED a LIMITED preview feature WITHOUT download ability!

Hi all! We have been doing business here on Fiverr for 5+ years and love the amount of business it has brought us.

One of the BIGGEST issue we have faced and continue to face is buyers having the ability to DOWNLOAD audio files PRIOR to completing the order by accepting the delivery and leaving feedback. This ability specifically puts sellers at risk for buyers to be able to download finished audio files and say they don’t like them (when they actually DO) and ask for a refund but still have the downloaded files to use. Photo categories have the Fiverr Watermark embedded but unless we put some sort of audio tag in ourselves we are subject to the risk of having audio ripped off basically.

We have learned how to spot troublesome buyers but have implemented a strict policy of never refunding funds and just dealing with the negative rating and going through support (only a handful of occasions) however a lot of time and loss of revenue could be saved ONLY allowing buyers to PREVIEW audio in the built in player and not allowing access to download UNTIL they have approved. This also gives better ability to offer revisions as we do not include them for this specific reason.

This is something we would LOVE to see updated in 2018 as it better protects sellers and buyers. Please post your support below and give the thread a like, especially the Audio related sellers here! Thank you!

Until fiverr comes up with any such feature, you can do it yourself. Just like many royalty free music providers do, add a watermark audio in background. Something like “Preview Version”. You may add it couple of times, lets say thrice in a 60 sec voice recording. Once client says that he/she is happy with it, deliver the final version without that audio watermark.

Until fiverr comes up with any such feature, you can do it yourself. Just like many royalty free music providers do, add a watermark audio in background. Something like “Preview Version”. You may add it couple of times, lets say thrice in a 60 sec voice recording. Once client says that he/she is happy with it, deliver the final version without that audio watermark.

you can do it yourself

So if Fiverr can implement it for the design category they might as well implement it for other categories as well.

Who wants to have to do this on every single order manually? Then you also have to send an explanation to your buyer every single time. That would be a bit hideous. A system generated watermark would be a quick fix.

Edit to add:

Another idea would be for the client to have to listen through the preview first. A download could be possible upon approval only.

I love this idea! So they can listen and once they complete the order, they can download the files. Only small problem I can see with this is for resellers, who need to send the audio to their client to approve before they complete. But if the files could be automatically audio marked - similar to the design category’s watermark, that would be awesome!

Yes but a lot of our productions, as well as other similar service providers, are short and no room for water marks where as with music you can dump one every 12 sec or so.

you can do it yourself

So if Fiverr can implement it for the design category they might as well implement it for other categories as well.

Who wants to have to do this on every single order manually? Then you also have to send an explanation to your buyer every single time. That would be a bit hideous. A system generated watermark would be a quick fix.

Edit to add:

Another idea would be for the client to have to listen through the preview first. A download could be possible upon approval only.

Your edit is what original post is getting at. We need a system that does not allow download of files UNTIL they have been previewed and order is accepted.

Your edit is what original post is getting at. We need a system that does not allow download of files UNTIL they have been previewed and order is accepted.

Removal of download option is not a very good way to stop someone from doing that. There are tons of free software and browser extensions that allow you to download any media from a page. There is not an option to download files from gig’s portfolio, but they can be downloaded very easily.

Just like image categories, we definitely need a very good feature for audio and video category.

• 1 year later...

I love this idea and have been racking my brain trying to figure out a personal solution…
I’ve been scammed because someone has said they “weren’t happy” but they sure already had the file I sent and sure wanted a full refund and definitely treatened a negative review if I didn’t cancel.
My suggestion:
A client can download a full watermarked version of the song or video but has to say “yes” or “no” to the “are you happy with this recorded work?” question.
This question should pause time until they answered it.
If they say “yes”, the screen should ask, “are you sure?” Just to make sure they didn’t “accidentally” click “yes” and use that as an excuse later.
If they blindly click, that should be on them. Not the seller or Fiverr!
If they say “no” to the “are you happy” question, then immediately, they should give a reason, then right away be offered to BUY a revision (up to the amount the seller offers: 1, 2…) until they max out. Then once they’ve maxed out, they would see a screen that says, “you have maxed out of revisions. Are you happy with this recorded work?” If they click “yes”, they should get the unwatermarked version of the recorded work NONREFUNDABLE. Since they already had a chance to turn down the work. If they are still unhappy, they can’t prove it because they said they were happy. They clicked “yes” when they could’ve clicked “no”. That’s proof.
If the seller doesn’t offer revisions, then the buyer would be offered two options: move forward with buying the full unwatermarked file OR cancel the order right then and there so the seller doesn’t have to waste any more time!

Please, Fiverr Team, Anyone, take these suggestions to heart because this would sincerely give Fiverr’s entire music/video section the support they need to reduce scams dramatically and stop wasting time on people who want to spend $5 for something $100 anywhere else. If someone wanted to steal their work after these implementations, it’d be a lot harder! That’s all we want! Some protection.

• 1 year later...

I agree. This happened to me recently. The buyer was stoked with the product that I provided him! Asked for minor modifications, I did that and delivered again but suddenly the buyer didn’t like it anymore even though he mentioned that he loved it! Fiverr really needs to protect its sellers. I am so frustrated I don’t know what to do.

I agree. This happened to me recently. The buyer was stoked with the product that I provided him! Asked for minor modifications, I did that and delivered again but suddenly the buyer didn’t like it anymore even though he mentioned that he loved it! Fiverr really needs to protect its sellers. I am so frustrated I don’t know what to do.

Fiverr really needs to protect its sellers.

This topic is 5 years old.

And regarding your post, Fiverr can only protect you if you set up your service in such way that it protects you. You have full control over what you will offer, how will it be executed and at what price.

I think the solution is providing a Work in Progress, not the final delivery. So they know that if they want the Full Quality file, they must accept the delivery. The Work in Progress file can be a lower quality resolution, or an audio file with beeps (as in my case since I work with Music). Then you make the final delivery but the customer knows what to expect.

Fiverr really needs to protect its sellers.

This topic is 5 years old.

And regarding your post, Fiverr can only protect you if you set up your service in such way that it protects you. You have full control over what you will offer, how will it be executed and at what price.

I’m new to Fiverr so I didn’t know. If you ever have time please do leave some tips on how to protect one’s self. Thank you for your reply! It made me really hopeful! 💖

I’m new to Fiverr so I didn’t know. If you ever have time please do leave some tips on how to protect one’s self. Thank you for your reply! It made me really hopeful! 💖

Open new topic and share what are you offering (what services) and ask how can you protect yourself.

This one will be closed since it is 5 years old. Also if you click on my name you have my topic there with all the instructions regarding Fiverr.

Archived