This verify your ID thing is really stupid

derp77

The verify your id thing is utter garbage, why would I ever show fiverr, a huge corporation that could very easily get away with selling my data, my data? I’m definetly not doing this and I suggest any seller’s reading this don’t as well. It’s very greedy for fiverr to do this. I understand there are going to be people saying “they’re just verifiying your identity and not selling your data, this is for the good of the community.” yeah no. Thousands of freelancing sites require just an email or phone verification, not your freaking identity, plus facebook has done it and they’re an even bigger corporation, there’s no reason for fiverr to not do that either. Fiverr has screwed over big sellers before too, the funny guys i think they were called, Voice over Pete and probably countless others that we don’t even know about. Fiverr, please get rid of this verify your id thing. It’s stupid.

Hello @derp77, it is such a pity that you have so many doubts about Fiverr? Of course, Fiverr like any other Freelance platform has his PROS & CONS! However, Fiverr is not at all that strict when it comes to showing your ID?? Fiverr hardly ever ask for Identification. This only applies to some specific categories that need an Identification, which to me is understandable. Or if you violated their rules, which is common sense? Maybe you belong to these specific categories, where being asked for ID? Have you ever thought of that? I don’t know what your profession is? I also, don’t understand why showing your ID is such a big deal? To me is not showing an ID is a sign that you have something to hide (this not directed to you but in overall)

Also, to be completely honest, I don’t think Fiverr is the right Freelance platform for you. Apparently, you’re very unsatisfied and unhappy with how Fiverr works. So I suggest to find yourself a Freelance platform that truly suits your needs. That’s my opinion! Whatever your decision is, I wish you all the best!! Take care of yourself. Regards, Humberto

Hello @derp77, it is such a pity that you have so many doubts about Fiverr? Of course, Fiverr like any other Freelance platform has his PROS & CONS! However, Fiverr is not at all that strict when it comes to showing your ID?? Fiverr hardly ever ask for Identification. This only applies to some specific categories that need an Identification, which to me is understandable. Or if you violated their rules, which is common sense? Maybe you belong to these specific categories, where being asked for ID? Have you ever thought of that? I don’t know what your profession is? I also, don’t understand why showing your ID is such a big deal? To me is not showing an ID is a sign that you have something to hide (this not directed to you but in overall)

Also, to be completely honest, I don’t think Fiverr is the right Freelance platform for you. Apparently, you’re very unsatisfied and unhappy with how Fiverr works. So I suggest to find yourself a Freelance platform that truly suits your needs. That’s my opinion! Whatever your decision is, I wish you all the best!! Take care of yourself. Regards, Humberto

Fiverr hardly ever ask for Identification.

Fiverr is rolling out ID verification to all users.

Or if you violated their rules, which is common sense? Maybe you belong to these specific categories, where being asked for ID?

Alas, everyone gets insinuated to be a criminal here these days…

I also, don’t understand why showing your ID is such a big deal?

Awesome. Can you send me a copy of your ID? I promise that I will only share it with people I really trust, and only if they promise not to do anything bad with it.

That’s basically why people don’t like the idea of giving anyone their ID. You have no idea how it will be stored, who will have access to it, or what it will be used for. The only reason anyone who is not a government body ever wants to see your ID is because they have a friend in marketing.

I don’t think Fiverr is the right Freelance platform for you. Apparently, you’re very unsatisfied and unhappy with how Fiverr works. So I suggest to find yourself a Freelance platform that truly suits your needs. That’s my opinion!

You came across as so likable in the beginning. 😦

Everyone should be worried about ID verification, especially when the systems used to gather data are automated. I use Payoneer. My account is fully verified with my ID and address. Last year, Payoneer notified me that they were issuing me with a new card. I waited 2-weeks but it never arrived. I notified them of this and they sent a new card. This didn’t arrive either.

After the third attempt, I realized they were sending new cards to the address I lived at several years ago when I first opened my Payoneer account. (My address in Payoneer had been changed the moment I moved.) I notified them of this, but they kept on sending cards to the wrong address. Then they sternly told me that my account would be frozen until I reverifued my address and ID details.

I honestly didn’t want to do this or continue using their services because there was obviously a security / data storage bug on their end. However, I had no choice since I had quite a lot of cash in my account which I still needed to access. Finally, I was able to get across to them what the problem was (and that it was on their side). However, the fact remains that big companies can and do make mistakes which many can never be held to account for.

Of course, you young people have been brought up in the age of “if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.” In reality, though, everyone should be concerned about basic data privacy, especially when being asked to hand over their government ID details.

Or if you violated their rules, which is common sense? Maybe you belong to these specific categories, where being asked for ID?

Awesome. Can you send me a copy of your ID? I promise that I will only share it with people I really trust, and only if they promise not to do anything bad with it.

That’s basically why people don’t like the idea of giving anyone their ID. You have no idea how it will be stored, who will have access to it, or what it will be used for. The only reason anyone who is not a government body ever wants to see your ID is because they have a friend in marketing.

I don’t think Fiverr is the right Freelance platform for you. Apparently, you’re very unsatisfied and unhappy with how Fiverr works. So I suggest to find yourself a Freelance platform that truly suits your needs. That’s my opinion!

Everyone should be worried about ID verification, especially when the systems used to gather data are automated. I use Payoneer. My account is fully verified with my ID and address. Last year, Payoneer notified me that they were issuing me with a new card. I waited 2-weeks but it never arrived. I notified them of this and they sent a new card. This didn’t arrive either.

After the third attempt, I realized they were sending new cards to the address I lived at several years ago when I first opened my Payoneer account. (My address in Payoneer had been changed the moment I moved.) I notified them of this, but they kept on sending cards to the wrong address. Then they sternly told me that my account would be frozen until I reverifued my address and ID details.

I honestly didn’t want to do this or continue using their services because there was obviously a security / data storage bug on their end. However, I had no choice since I had quite a lot of cash in my account which I still needed to access. Finally, I was able to get across to them what the problem was (and that it was on their side). However, the fact remains that big companies can and do make mistakes which many can never be held to account for.

Of course, you young people have been brought up in the age of “if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.” In reality, though, everyone should be concerned about basic data privacy, especially when being asked to hand over their government ID details.

Which is why I’m very careful with how I handle my online accounts; i.e. only providing what is deemed non-optional. Not too long ago I got several notices about account breaches where my email’s associated with. That was a forum of a gaming site that got hacked but fortunately nothing but my email was withdrawn.

The second attack was from - or through - a verified company that helps with email verification which was quite concerning because I have no idea which business used that platform as there is no details on the matter.

~~

I wasn’t happy to hear about the ID verification thing when it was first introduced especially since IDs weren’t required for sign up. The whole ID thing isn’t stupid; just down right scary especially when you hear stories of ex-pats who can no longer work on the site due to their birth country. If the system were truly put in place to combat the bad apples running amuck, it could use some TLC.

The verify your id thing is utter garbage, why would I ever show fiverr, a huge corporation that could very easily get away with selling my data, my data? I’m definetly not doing this and I suggest any seller’s reading this don’t as well. It’s very greedy for fiverr to do this. I understand there are going to be people saying “they’re just verifiying your identity and not selling your data, this is for the good of the community.” yeah no. Thousands of freelancing sites require just an email or phone verification, not your freaking identity, plus facebook has done it and they’re an even bigger corporation, there’s no reason for fiverr to not do that either. Fiverr has screwed over big sellers before too, the funny guys i think they were called, Voice over Pete and probably countless others that we don’t even know about. Fiverr, please get rid of this verify your id thing. It’s stupid.

Such things, like ID verification, Fees on Tips, etc. happens just because bad intentional sellers, who are always searching something to cheat fiverr ToS, to get better results.

This ID verification avoid sellers to create multiple accounts, which is completely against fiverr Terms of Service. It also helps to avoid banned sellers to create a new account.

I also don’t like this ID verification because I did nothing wrong, like these other sellers. But I also know it’s useful for honest sellers.

Hello @cyaxrex, thank you for clearing it out for me. 😃 I’ve always been an open guy and I never had issues or any problems with clarifying my ID if needed? I am still a rookie when it comes to online marketing and Freelancing. I’m recently graduated from the Uni and I never experienced anything unusual on the Internet, and therefore I assume it is not that bad after all. Sorry to hear what happened to you with Payoneer- I hope everything is sorted? Also, I do perfectly understand that there are people out there that are terrified in showing ID. Which of course is understandable as the Internet is full of unwanted threads and all kind off illegal stuff going on.

Hmm just because I am an open person, and have my so-called ‘‘OPINIONS’’, which sometimes I refer as ‘‘SILLY’’😜 I love reading your comments and I think you’re a great guy! Keep it up (MATE) :rofl: Kind regards, Humba

During the call with CS some of us had a while back I was told something along the lines of “but wouldn’t the ID verification make things safer for you?”

No? Not at all? How does it make things safer for me?

Also, we don’t know 100% that all the people who were banned immediately after the ID verification were banned for multiple accounts/other offenses. We don’t know that at all.

During the call with CS some of us had a while back I was told something along the lines of “but wouldn’t the ID verification make things safer for you?”

No? Not at all? How does it make things safer for me?

Also, we don’t know 100% that all the people who were banned immediately after the ID verification were banned for multiple accounts/other offenses. We don’t know that at all.

Also, we don’t know 100% that all the people who were banned immediately after the ID verification were banned for multiple accounts/other offenses.

The whole idea that this will stop people using multiple accounts is nonsense. Also, when did multiple accounts become the biggest boogeyman on Fiverr? It makes no sense.

• From what we know, buyers aren’t required to verify their ID. (Meaning people who will open multiple accounts to leave fake reviews on their own gigs aren’t affected)
  • How difficult is it honestly going to be for someone to get a friend or relative to verify a seller account using their ID? - The online betting industry has been trying to solve this problem for over 20-years and still hasn’t succeeded
  • Multiple accounts are easy to spot by monitoring user IPs
  • The majority of users who sell on Fiverr do so via an alias

Lastly, to withdraw funds from Fiverr, both PayPal and Payoneer already require users to verify the ID.

Also, both of these services stipulate that users must be 18-years or older. However, Fiverr says that site users must only be aged 13-years or older. This in itself is a security oversight / breach by Fiverr of third party sites TOS. (That accusation they like to throw at sellers every now and again.)

Fiverr:

This Site is offered and available to users who are 13 years of age or older. If you are under 13 you may not use this Site or the Fiverr services. By using this Site, you represent and warrant that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and meet all of the foregoing eligibility requirements. If you do not meet all of these requirements, you must not access or use the Site.

PayPal:

1.2 Eligibility. To be eligible to use the PayPal Services, you must be at least 18 years old or higher based on the age of majority in your jurisdiction, and a resident of one of the countries listed on the PayPal Worldwide page.

I’m also pretty sure that no website is allowed to ask a minor to submit their ID or images of themselves without direct consent from a parent or guardian.

Wikipedia:

While children under 13 can legally give out personal information with their parents’ permission, many websites – particularly social media sites, but also other sites that collect most personal info — disallow children under 13 from using their services altogether due to the cost and work involved in complying with the law.[[2]]

To me, I don’t see how Fiverr could legally roll out ID verification for all users without first addressing all of the above issues. - And if they have made that oversight, what other oversights might they have made?

Also, we don’t know 100% that all the people who were banned immediately after the ID verification were banned for multiple accounts/other offenses.

The whole idea that this will stop people using multiple accounts is nonsense. Also, when did multiple accounts become the biggest boogeyman on Fiverr? It makes no sense.

• From what we know, buyers aren’t required to verify their ID. (Meaning people who will open multiple accounts to leave fake reviews on their own gigs aren’t affected)
  • How difficult is it honestly going to be for someone to get a friend or relative to verify a seller account using their ID? - The online betting industry has been trying to solve this problem for over 20-years and still hasn’t succeeded

Lastly, to withdraw funds from Fiverr, both PayPal and Payoneer already require users to verify the ID.

Also, both of these services stipulate that users must be 18-years or older. However, Fiverr says that site users must only be aged 13-years or older. This in itself is a security oversight / breach by Fiverr of third party sites TOS. (That accusation they like to throw at sellers every now and again.)

Fiverr:

This Site is offered and available to users who are 13 years of age or older. If you are under 13 you may not use this Site or the Fiverr services. By using this Site, you represent and warrant that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and meet all of the foregoing eligibility requirements. If you do not meet all of these requirements, you must not access or use the Site.

PayPal:

1.2 Eligibility. To be eligible to use the PayPal Services, you must be at least 18 years old or higher based on the age of majority in your jurisdiction, and a resident of one of the countries listed on the PayPal Worldwide page.

I’m also pretty sure that no website is allowed to ask a minor to submit their ID or images of themselves without direct consent from a parent or guardian.

Wikipedia:

While children under 13 can legally give out personal information with their parents’ permission, many websites – particularly social media sites, but also other sites that collect most personal info — disallow children under 13 from using their services altogether due to the cost and work involved in complying with the law.[[2]]

To me, I don’t see how Fiverr could legally roll out ID verification for all users without first addressing all of the above issues. - And if they have made that oversight, what other oversights might they have made?

Also, when did multiple accounts become the biggest boogeyman on Fiverr? It makes no sense.

This is a great question. It got to the point of people getting banned for sneezing next to someone else’s computer.

I guess I’m just not an open person, mate to appreciate the efforts for transparency (assuming that’s what they are) when they involve my actual legal documents for reasons I’m not explained clearly.

Fiverr:

PayPal:

Wikipedia:

Multiple accounts are easy to spot by monitoring user IPs

At the least, there are places that do a pretty good job of spotting unwanted accounts by combining IP and other things. I don’t think the main reason is multiple accounts (even though it probably helps with that too). Increasing buyer and investor trust is more like it.

For the records, also IMO, my Fiverr account being linked with my verified PP account should be enough ID.

thanks for defending me

There is nothing to be ashamed about if you are concerned about privacy. Sadly, though, there is a push across the tech industry to mandate ID verification etc. In this case, it is likely only a matter of time before it is ubiquitous everywhere.

It’s not stupid at all. They have to be able to track, reject and maybe even litigate people in the case of nefarious activity/sellers like scams, fraud, etc. Think of the nightmare for Fiverr and anyone affected by the sellers’ activity if the platform had no way of control someone who was using their platform for harmful activity.

Otherwise you could just create a new account with a fake name and new email address. It’s unfortunate if other freelance sites make this more possible. Remember that Fiverr is different from other freelance sites because it is a marketplace. That means the rules are different. They have to be.

It can also function as a PR thing. This kind of check and balance gives confidence to buyers that there is at least some vetting. It may make people feel more protected and processes eliminated.

I realize that maybe Fiverr has other reasons for this identification, but in any case, from a business and legal standpoint, it makes total sense for them to do this. It’s naive to think otherwise. I think you’re just annoyed because the process is frustrating. That doesn’t mean it should be halted. Fiverr doesn’t owe any sellers convenience. It does, however, owe buyers accountability. You need to look at things from a business standpoint, not a “This isn’t fair/so inconvenient to sellers” standpoint.

And frankly, as a seller, I’m glad I’m not having to compete with people who would make additional accounts, scam accounts, etc. Fiverr would be a terrible place to sell if those things were to take place.

It’s not stupid at all. They have to be able to track, reject and maybe even litigate people in the case of nefarious activity/sellers like scams, fraud, etc. Think of the nightmare for Fiverr and anyone affected by the sellers’ activity if the platform had no way of control someone who was using their platform for harmful activity.

Otherwise you could just create a new account with a fake name and new email address. It’s unfortunate if other freelance sites make this more possible. Remember that Fiverr is different from other freelance sites because it is a marketplace. That means the rules are different. They have to be.

It can also function as a PR thing. This kind of check and balance gives confidence to buyers that there is at least some vetting. It may make people feel more protected and processes eliminated.

I realize that maybe Fiverr has other reasons for this identification, but in any case, from a business and legal standpoint, it makes total sense for them to do this. It’s naive to think otherwise. I think you’re just annoyed because the process is frustrating. That doesn’t mean it should be halted. Fiverr doesn’t owe any sellers convenience. It does, however, owe buyers accountability. You need to look at things from a business standpoint, not a “This isn’t fair/so inconvenient to sellers” standpoint.

And frankly, as a seller, I’m glad I’m not having to compete with people who would make additional accounts, scam accounts, etc. Fiverr would be a terrible place to sell if those things were to take place.

Fiverr: Give me all your personal info

Sellers: lol why

FIverr: I need it

Sellers: No

Fiverr: GIve it or im gonna ban you

Sellers: Why do you need it?

Fiverr: to um confrim your identity and make sure you don’t make fake accounts

Sellers: How do I know you won’t show it to anyone?

Fiverr: I promise I won’t

Sellers: What if you break your promise?

Fiverr: I promise I won’t show it to anyone.

This is exactly what’s happening. It’s not naive to ask fiverr for not asking for your passport, it’s naive to think they’re doing this “for the good of the community”.

Fiverr: Give me all your personal info

Sellers: lol why

FIverr: I need it

Sellers: No

Fiverr: GIve it or im gonna ban you

Sellers: Why do you need it?

Fiverr: to um confrim your identity and make sure you don’t make fake accounts

Sellers: How do I know you won’t show it to anyone?

Fiverr: I promise I won’t

Sellers: What if you break your promise?

Fiverr: I promise I won’t show it to anyone.

This is exactly what’s happening. It’s not naive to ask fiverr for not asking for your passport, it’s naive to think they’re doing this “for the good of the community”.

So you shouldn’t have to verify your identity because maybe a company will misuse it? K. Honestly, if you’re that paranoid, maybe don’t use Fiverr. Nothing you’ve said indicates the verification of identity is unjustified.

With this rationael you could say you shouldn’t have to show your health card when you visit the doctor because they could use it for other purposes. It’s a private enterprise and they want to protect their business. Why be here if you don’t want to accept that?

I never said it’s for “the good of the community” at all. I said it makes sense for all parties for Fiverr to do this, contradicting the argument that it “makes no sense.” Totally different and you’re mischaracterizing what I’ve said to try to validate your point.

since we linked our account with paypal and pay with our card for online courses from Fiverr… isn’t that enough to verify us ?

No it isn’t. Like any business, Fiverr has to do their own checks and balances.

And you buy courses after you’re a seller, not as part of becoming a seller. Buying a course doesn’t prove anything. You could be buying it for someone else, using someone else’s credit, enter false address information, etc. Same with PayPal… And again you don’t have to already be with PayPal to set up Fiverr. Plus you don’t even have to use PayPal to get paid here. The point of screening is to do it before you accept someone.

No it isn’t. Like any business, Fiverr has to do their own checks and balances.

And you buy courses after you’re a seller, not as part of becoming a seller. Buying a course doesn’t prove anything. You could be buying it for someone else, using someone else’s credit, enter false address information, etc. Same with PayPal… And again you don’t have to already be with PayPal to set up Fiverr. Plus you don’t even have to use PayPal to get paid here. The point of screening is to do it before you accept someone.

at least I had a good laugh reading what you wrote ( I could be buying a course for someone else … and it shows on my profile… makes a lot of sense :)) )

at least I had a good laugh reading what you wrote ( I could be buying a course for someone else … and it shows on my profile… makes a lot of sense :)) )

And using someone’s purchase of a course to verify their identity is legally binding proof? K. Have a good night.

And using someone’s purchase of a course to verify their identity is legally binding proof? K. Have a good night.

I have a name on my profile , in my settings … I am paying with a credit card that has the exact same name on it, what other proof do you need ? 😃

I have a name on my profile , in my settings … I am paying with a credit card that has the exact same name on it, what other proof do you need ? 😃

If you think that proves someone’s identity than you at great risk of getting scammed and should probably take some courses in logic, law, business and security. It isn’t proof. At all. And it in no way protects Fiverr in the event of nefarious activity.

And as I said, legally Fiverr needs to run their own checks and balances anyway. The outcome of a course showing up on someone’s profile is not a check and balance. It doesn’t help Fiverr track anyone and wouldn’t stand up as proof of identity in any court of law. Anyway, did you consider that maybe someone would do a course for someone for the experience under their friend’s account, so they could get the credit and they could get the account? See how easy that is? It isn’t proof of identity. Period.

So you shouldn’t have to verify your identity because maybe a company will misuse it? K. Honestly, if you’re that paranoid, maybe don’t use Fiverr. Nothing you’ve said indicates the verification of identity is unjustified.

With this rationael you could say you shouldn’t have to show your health card when you visit the doctor because they could use it for other purposes. It’s a private enterprise and they want to protect their business. Why be here if you don’t want to accept that?

I never said it’s for “the good of the community” at all. I said it makes sense for all parties for Fiverr to do this, contradicting the argument that it “makes no sense.” Totally different and you’re mischaracterizing what I’ve said to try to validate your point.

you’re one of those people. I don’t think you fully understand what data is worth, I don’t have the time to write it all out and I don’t think I even fully understand everything it can be used for but I do know that big companies want that data badly. Fiverr literally does not require our data, it doesn’t need it but it wants it. It has been running for years without it but now it suddenly wants it. FIverr also has an age req of 13, someone pointed this out in this thread, legally you can’t ask anyone under 18 for pics of themselves as proof of identity.and fiverr is doing just that, this is a major oversight and can lead to a lot of trouble, trouble that fiverr is trying to get out of by rolling out this new id verification thing according to you.

If you think that proves someone’s identity than you at great risk of getting scammed and should probably take some courses in logic, law, business and security. It isn’t proof. At all. And it in no way protects Fiverr in the event of nefarious activity.

And as I said, legally Fiverr needs to run their own checks and balances anyway. The outcome of a course showing up on someone’s profile is not a check and balance. It doesn’t help Fiverr track anyone and wouldn’t stand up as proof of identity in any court of law. Anyway, did you consider that maybe someone would do a course for someone for the experience under their friend’s account, so they could get the credit and they could get the account? See how easy that is? It isn’t proof of identity. Period.

If you think that proves someone’s identity than you at great risk of getting scammed and should probably take some courses in logic, law, business and security.

I take this as an insult but I won’t bother to respond , I’d rather work on my orders , perhaps it would be best if you do the same . Cheers

Archived