Thoughts on adding new specific gigs?

somaginer1996

Since I started on Fiverr, I’ve been selling with only a few gigs: one for short stories, one for articles, one for proofreading/editing, and one for translation. The thing is that all of these are pretty broad, and encompass a variety of services.

Recently I’ve been looking at my gigs and considering whether it would benefit me to add new gigs that were more specific (for example: beta reading, rewriting articles, specific genres of short stories etc.) Although I’ve been around for a few months now, I’m very much a newbie when it comes to optimizing my gigs.

So I guess this is a question for fellow sellers: those who offer more specialized gigs, and those who are getting by with general gigs. Which do you think is better? What has worked for you?

Since I started on Fiverr, I’ve been selling with only a few gigs: one for short stories, one for articles, one for proofreading/editing, and one for translation. The thing is that all of these are pretty broad, and encompass a variety of services.

Recently I’ve been looking at my gigs and considering whether it would benefit me to add new gigs that were more specific (for example: beta reading, rewriting articles, specific genres of short stories etc.) Although I’ve been around for a few months now, I’m very much a newbie when it comes to optimizing my gigs.

So I guess this is a question for fellow sellers: those who offer more specialized gigs, and those who are getting by with general gigs. Which do you think is better? What has worked for you?

or example: beta reading, rewriting articles, specific genres of short stories etc.

Yes, yes & yes! 🙂

Sometimes, I think the gigs are too broad and have no idea if what I need is or is not part of what they offer. This may sound strange, but I do NOT like to inbox seller that I’ve never worked with before. It gives them unlimited access to message me whenever they feel like it.

I like to read the description of what the gig is all about. I especially like reading the “Frequently Asked Questions.” Most of the time, it answers all my questions. I generally skip all the sellers that have “contact me” before ordering.

I like looking for specifics and when things are segregated into categories, it makes it easier. I do NOT feel like editing and proofreading gig should be one but two completely separate gigs. This avoids confusion.

I don’t think it’s necessary to create a dozen gigs on every single writing genre; having simply fiction or non-fiction would be good. Oh, and always, always, always put “I accept or I do not accept Romance/eRom” - it’s an awkward situation to ask. Not everyone does these, so make it easier for us buyers - some of us require a lot of :raised_hand: holding! 🙂

Of course, to be on the safe side, it’s a good idea to have one catch all gig - in case you missed something.

I know you asked for fellow seller’s POV but I couldn’t resist giving you my 5️⃣ cents worth of buyer’s take.

or example: beta reading, rewriting articles, specific genres of short stories etc.

Yes, yes & yes! 🙂

Sometimes, I think the gigs are too broad and have no idea if what I need is or is not part of what they offer. This may sound strange, but I do NOT like to inbox seller that I’ve never worked with before. It gives them unlimited access to message me whenever they feel like it.

I like to read the description of what the gig is all about. I especially like reading the “Frequently Asked Questions.” Most of the time, it answers all my questions. I generally skip all the sellers that have “contact me” before ordering.

I like looking for specifics and when things are segregated into categories, it makes it easier. I do NOT feel like editing and proofreading gig should be one but two completely separate gigs. This avoids confusion.

I don’t think it’s necessary to create a dozen gigs on every single writing genre; having simply fiction or non-fiction would be good. Oh, and always, always, always put “I accept or I do not accept Romance/eRom” - it’s an awkward situation to ask. Not everyone does these, so make it easier for us buyers - some of us require a lot of :raised_hand: holding! 🙂

Of course, to be on the safe side, it’s a good idea to have one catch all gig - in case you missed something.

I know you asked for fellow seller’s POV but I couldn’t resist giving you my 5️⃣ cents worth of buyer’s take.

@gina_riley2 I did ask for a seller’s perspective, but that’s only because I know buyers are few and far between on the forum. Didn’t count on our resident awesome buyer to respond ☀️

This may sound strange, but I do NOT like to inbox seller that I’ve never worked with before. It gives them unlimited access to message me whenever they feel like it.

That doesn’t sound strange at all. It actually makes a ton of sense.

I only put “contact me before ordering” because I’m a student, so 1) sometimes I don’t have enough time to do a bunch of orders, and 2) I don’t want to end up doing some task that I don’t have the expertise for. I suppose that making more specific gigs would prevent that problem from happening though!

Thanks so much for your response! It’s awesome to have a buyer’s perspective. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go ahead and make specific gigs for rewriting and beta reading and see how that goes.

You can make use of FAQ section … I think that will help you specify your gigs…

I do have a FAQ section, but that doesn’t really help me so much when people ask me if I do beta reading/rewriting. Those are different services, and it’s hard to put the same price tag on them as normal proofreading or editing.

@gina_riley2 I did ask for a seller’s perspective, but that’s only because I know buyers are few and far between on the forum. Didn’t count on our resident awesome buyer to respond ☀️

This may sound strange, but I do NOT like to inbox seller that I’ve never worked with before. It gives them unlimited access to message me whenever they feel like it.

That doesn’t sound strange at all. It actually makes a ton of sense.

I only put “contact me before ordering” because I’m a student, so 1) sometimes I don’t have enough time to do a bunch of orders, and 2) I don’t want to end up doing some task that I don’t have the expertise for. I suppose that making more specific gigs would prevent that problem from happening though!

Thanks so much for your response! It’s awesome to have a buyer’s perspective. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go ahead and make specific gigs for rewriting and beta reading and see how that goes.

I suppose that making more specific gigs would prevent that problem from happening though!

Only if people read your gig description. Or at least the title of your gig.

I suppose that making more specific gigs would prevent that problem from happening though!

Only if people read your gig description. Or at least the title of your gig.

True. I’ve gotten a lot of strange orders that I had to either figure out on the fly or cancel because I didn’t know how to do them.

Archived