Fiverr Forum

Thoughts on adding new specific gigs?

Since I started on Fiverr, I’ve been selling with only a few gigs: one for short stories, one for articles, one for proofreading/editing, and one for translation. The thing is that all of these are pretty broad, and encompass a variety of services.

Recently I’ve been looking at my gigs and considering whether it would benefit me to add new gigs that were more specific (for example: beta reading, rewriting articles, specific genres of short stories etc.) Although I’ve been around for a few months now, I’m very much a newbie when it comes to optimizing my gigs.

So I guess this is a question for fellow sellers: those who offer more specialized gigs, and those who are getting by with general gigs. Which do you think is better? What has worked for you?

Yes, yes & yes! :slight_smile:

Sometimes, I think the gigs are too broad and have no idea if what I need is or is not part of what they offer. This may sound strange, but I do NOT like to inbox seller that I’ve never worked with before. It gives them unlimited access to message me whenever they feel like it.

I like to read the description of what the gig is all about. I especially like reading the “Frequently Asked Questions.” Most of the time, it answers all my questions. I generally skip all the sellers that have “contact me” before ordering.

I like looking for specifics and when things are segregated into categories, it makes it easier. I do NOT feel like editing and proofreading gig should be one but two completely separate gigs. This avoids confusion.

I don’t think it’s necessary to create a dozen gigs on every single writing genre; having simply fiction or non-fiction would be good. Oh, and always, always, always put “I accept or I do not accept Romance/eRom” - it’s an awkward situation to ask. Not everyone does these, so make it easier for us buyers - some of us require a lot of :raised_hand: holding! :slight_smile:

Of course, to be on the safe side, it’s a good idea to have one catch all gig - in case you missed something.

I know you asked for fellow seller’s POV but I couldn’t resist giving you my :five: cents worth of buyer’s take.

4 Likes

You can make use of FAQ section … I think that will help you specify your gigs…

@gina_riley2 I did ask for a seller’s perspective, but that’s only because I know buyers are few and far between on the forum. Didn’t count on our resident awesome buyer to respond :sunny:

That doesn’t sound strange at all. It actually makes a ton of sense.

I only put “contact me before ordering” because I’m a student, so 1) sometimes I don’t have enough time to do a bunch of orders, and 2) I don’t want to end up doing some task that I don’t have the expertise for. I suppose that making more specific gigs would prevent that problem from happening though!

Thanks so much for your response! It’s awesome to have a buyer’s perspective. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go ahead and make specific gigs for rewriting and beta reading and see how that goes.

2 Likes

I do have a FAQ section, but that doesn’t really help me so much when people ask me if I do beta reading/rewriting. Those are different services, and it’s hard to put the same price tag on them as normal proofreading or editing.

1 Like

Only if people read your gig description. Or at least the title of your gig.

3 Likes

True. I’ve gotten a lot of strange orders that I had to either figure out on the fly or cancel because I didn’t know how to do them.

1 Like