Three for the price of one? Not sure whose fault this is

luckygutsy

I recently responded to a buyer request for three ads, saying I could fill the request through my poster design gig. The buyer order one of the gig – repeating in his instructions to me that he needed three ads. Have I just offered him three for the price of one by accident? What would you do in this situation?

Yes, to some extent you probably created that misunderstanding.

When you responded to a buyer request, you can specify the basic gig quantity, and you should choose “3” in your case.

Now, either you accept and do three ads for the price of a gig, or you explain to your buyer that he need to purchase two more gigs. Of course a mutual cancellation is also worth considering.

yes, it seems like you did. In your buyer request did you give a custom quote of any kind? If you didn’t say anything about the price then yes, you did.

What I would do in this situation, if you want the ratings and the job seems not too difficult, is to write back and tell the buyer, that you did make a mistake, but that you are going to honor it this time and will do the 3, however in the future it is $5 per poster.

If you do not care about the ratings, then I would apologize for any confusion and suggest you ask him to pay for 2 or offer a mutual cancellation.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Since what he wanted wasn’t very labour-intensive anyways I honoured the order and made three. Got a good review so I’m not really complaining – though I will certainly be more careful in future!

Archived