TIP: How to SEO your gig from that start

twistedweb123

Hi there!

I’m just dropping by to give a quick and simple tip for SEO on your gig.

When creating a gig, the first title of that gig is used to generate the permanent URL. For example, if you create “I will design an awesome high quality logo for $5”, your URL will be:

fiverr.com/your-username/design-an-awesome-high-quality-logo

Now, whilst you think this is OK, it can be majorly improved upon to improve SEO, marketability and other aspects.

When finding results to list in searches, Google and other search engines take the URL information into account. The more optimised or ‘on point’ this URL is, the better. From the URL structure above, words such as “an”, “awesome” etc are just filler and taking away from the density of the true keywords - ‘design’ and ‘logo’.

Due to this, when you first create your gig, you want to focus on these keywords as much as possible. To do this, I recommend creating a gig with the most basic way to push your keywords.

So, for example, create ‘I will logo design for $5’. This will create:

fiverr.com/your-username/logo-design

This is far better for SEO and marketability. This URL is short, easy to remember, share and write on print media. This also fixes another issue which users come across when updating a gig, they change ‘amounts’ but the URL never changes. For example, I’ve seen people offer to design 5 logo for $5, but then reduce this down when they have feedback to 3 logo. This means the title of your gig now says 3 logos but the URL still says 5 - that’s just plain confusing.

Now, you may think “I will logo design for $5” sounds rubbish to users as they view your gig, and you’re right. After your gig has been accepted/approved, you then go ahead and amend the title to be the one you wish to attract users. For example “I will design an awesome high quality logo for $5”.

The end result?

Your URL in search engines is optimised as: fiverr.com/your-username/logo-design

Your Gig title is optimised for users: "I will design an awesome high quality logo for $5"

If you have a relevant username, you could even have a better URL structure. example, imagine your username is ‘graphic-design’, your URL would be:

fiverr.com/graphic-design/logo-design

See how awesome that looks? Due to Fiverr’s high ranking, you won’t just rank well for user’s Googling Fiverr, you will rank better for other terms as well.

Does this tip help you? Let me know if the comments below 🙂

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Reply to @dashingcovers: This tip can actually be just as effective with more words. I wish I had known about this when I made my first successful gig. The main point is that when you create the gig, you are creating a permanent URL no matter what you re-name the gig later. This is still quite valid for Fiverr search, Google search and other engines.

For example, you have an unsold gig with the title “I will write your message on a misty lake for $5.” The only relevant part for search is the customized middle of your title which is currently “write your message on a misty lake.” Your URL is the same. The problem is, not many people are going to think “Hmmm, I’d like to put something cool on my website. I wish someone could write your message on a misty lake.” If you re-create the gig, the first name you give it doesn’t have to make sense to a buyer (yet) it just needs to be searchable.

So, you could (example) name it “make a cool message” or “make an awesome ad” or “cool way advertise lake.” When you create the gig, it will look silly for the moment because if you picked my last suggestion now your gig says “I will cool way advertise lake for $5.” What matters is that your gig URL will be “https://www.fiverr.com/dashingcovers/cool-way-advertise-lake” and if someone searches for any of those words on Fiverr or Google, they have a great chance of finding you.

If they don’t happen to put the word lake in, no problem, because if they just google “cool way advertise” they still have a better chance of finding you. If they happen to sell fishing equipment or rent lake cabins and they search for “advertise lake” they have a chance of finding you. Once you save the gig, you change the title back to your current one so that the title makes sense on Fiverr.

The operative point is that when you change the title back to a sensible one, the URL will still have the better keywords. So, the number of words doesn’t matter as long as you can fit them in while creating the gig that first time. 🙂 That was long, but I hope it helps since the original tip by @twistedweb123 is still as fantastic as it was when he posted it! He said it better than I did as well, but sometimes if you read something a different way it clicks, so I figured my take on it couldn’t hurt!

Reply to @fonthaunt: Thanks for taking your time to write your take on it. 🙂
I was thinking that
"The more optimised or ‘on point’ this URL is, the better. From the URL structure above, words such as “an”, “awesome” etc are just filler and taking away from the density of the true keywords" was saying that the more filler words you have, the less effective the URL is (for SEO), and you should therefore, try to limit it down to the true keywords.
Which is what I meant by saying that you couldn’t limit it down to 2 keywords, but is still a valid point because you might have more keywords like “website logo design” as your important keywords to rank for. 🙂

Archived