Tipped more than the order

harshj2005

Here are my 2 cents on what to do and what not to do as a new seller.

I just recently got tipped $25 for a $20 order. This might sound crazy but I am gonna share with you how it happened and what you can do to make something like this happen. This was just a 20 seconds video with so the price is reasonable as a new freelancer!

image.png.ea6ddb75116b0a63c5482e2886035c25.png
image762×189 8.26 KB

So first of all this client and I have done 5 jobs together so this is not just something a client would give on the first time.

1. Make sure you build a connection with the client.
    This is simple communicate to the client as if you’re talking to a friend. Be professional yet friendly. Building a good connection with the client with help you not only now but also in the future. This is the base for trust and long-term work. Make them understand things clearly, if only they knew everything why would they come to you?

2. Take the job as your personal project
    If you think what you’re making is just for someone else then you’ll just be able to limit yourself to do what is told (sometimes you have to do what is told) but in case you get any creative freedom then do something that is more than what the client expected. Trust me this is the best way to make an impression. If you give clients more than what they expected you’ll surely be rewarded.

3. Don’t overcharge
    If you charge someone a lot more than what others are charging then you’ll probably end up with just a one-off job. For the long term, you gotta show the client that it’s not just about money. Charge what you think is right for the amount of work and time. Cause in this competitive market there is probably hundreds of others who can do what you’re doing. So overcharging would only make potential good clients go away. Don’t undercharge either!

4. Deliver on time
    Probably a given, delivering on time would only help you look more interested in working with the client. If you slack or are late then clients would most probably like to find someone else who could do the work on their time. If you cannot do certain things in a given period of time then be vocal about it and tell the client. He may not give you the current order but might consider you for next. But if you end up accepting and then being late then they’ll not reconsider you for future work.

Just a few tips I could give from my experience. However even I am still new and learning on fiverr.

I hope you’ll make it big!! Goodluck!

I just recently got tipped $25 for a $20 order. This might sound crazy but I am gonna share with you how it happened and what you can do to make something like this happen. This was just a 20 seconds video with so the price is reasonable as a new freelancer!

So first of all this client and I have done 5 jobs together so this is not just something a client would give on the first time.

This is simple communicate to the client as if you’re talking to a friend. Be professional yet friendly. Building a good connection with the client with help you not only now but also in the future. This is the base for trust and long-term work. Make them understand things clearly, if only they knew everything why would they come to you?

If you think what you’re making is just for someone else then you’ll just be able to limit yourself to do what is told (sometimes you have to do what is told) but in case you get any creative freedom then do something that is more than what the client expected. Trust me this is the best way to make an impression. If you give clients more than what they expected you’ll surely be rewarded.

3. Don’t overcharge

If you charge someone a lot more than what others are charging then you’ll probably end up with just a one-off job. For the long term, you gotta show the client that it’s not just about money. Charge what you think is right for the amount of work and time. Cause in this competitive market there is probably hundreds of others who can do what you’re doing. So overcharging would only make potential good clients go away. Don’t undercharge either!

4. Deliver on time

Probably a given, delivering on time would only help you look more interested in working with the client. If you slack or are late then clients would most probably like to find someone else who could do the work on their time. If you cannot do certain things in a given period of time then be vocal about it and tell the client. He may not give you the current order but might consider you for next. But if you end up accepting and then being late then they’ll not reconsider you for future work.

Just a few tips I could give from my experience. However even I am still new and learning on fiverr.

For the long term, you gotta show the client that it’s not just about money.

Yes, it is all about money. I provide service and they pay. Tips are not part of business transaction, never was, never will be.

The concept of providing tips works only in USA and only for waiters (which i still do not get, because, they do get salary don’t they??).

If my service is 50$ I am not going to charge 25$ hoping that the client will “figure out” I am underselling and pay me in tips what I should be getting in the first place.

I got couple of times tips above the service price, but the service price was real and full, no discount or matching to what others are asking for the same service.

If you give clients more than what they expected you’ll surely be rewarded.

Maybe. This is questionable given a lot of sellers commented here how buyers were angry for sellers sending them more than they asked for and paid for since they do not need it or want it… so this is tricky. You have to read customer for this. Also if you overdeliver for the same price tomorrow he will ask same for the same things under same price, no tips.

Put a price on your work, final. Tips are just decoration and should not be even considered as a thing.

Yes, it is all about money. I provide service and they pay. Tips are not part of business transaction, never was, never will be.

The concept of providing tips works only in USA and only for waiters (which i still do not get, because, they do get salary don’t they??).

If my service is 50$ I am not going to charge 25$ hoping that the client will “figure out” I am underselling and pay me in tips what I should be getting in the first place.

I got couple of times tips above the service price, but the service price was real and full, no discount or matching to what others are asking for the same service.

Maybe. This is questionable given a lot of sellers commented here how buyers were angry for sellers sending them more than they asked for and paid for since they do not need it or want it… so this is tricky. You have to read customer for this. Also if you overdeliver for the same price tomorrow he will ask same for the same things under same price, no tips.

Put a price on your work, final. Tips are just decoration and should not be even considered as a thing.

I was talking from my experience. I am not saying to overdeliver. All I am saying is make most of your creative freedom if you have it. So the client forgot to tell me to add his logo in the job brief but later told me that he’d like if I can include a logo. I did it without charging extra cause honestly it’s not a big ask so that makes an impact however don’t do every change for free 9 out of 10 clients would only tell you to do more and more.

3. Don’t overcharge

4. Deliver on time

what you can do to make something like this happen.

This isn’t something you can make happen, tips are highly unusual for most fields but Fiverr pushes buyers to tip constantly after an order.

If you charge someone a lot more than what others are charging then you’ll probably end up with just a one-off job.

That’s terrible advice, undercharge just because everyone else is? If your work is worth $5000 and you have the credentials and previous works to show for it then that’s the selling price, not $5. I know you said don’t undercharge at the end but saying to not over charge and then to not undercharge is just contradictory, you’re either for or against one of those statements.

Seems to me you got lucky on this order and think you can replicate that same experience, I’m happy that you got the same value of the order in tips but there isn’t really a magical way to push buyers towards the tip button.

which i still do not get, because, they do get salary don’t they?

This is off-topic, but yes, waiters in the US receive a salary. However, for the work that they do and the customers that they deal with, they barely get paid enough money from their salary.

@harshj2005, everything that you listed in your post should always be done, and it doesn’t necessarily guarantee a tip. There’s no way to really make your buyer leave a tip.

For example, delivering on time is something that you should always do, and yet I don’t receive a tip for every order that I deliver on time.

I get what you’re trying to say and they’re good tips, but I have to agree with @kometbeats that you might have just gotten lucky with a special buyer leaving a tip.

Many waiters receive only a partial or minimal hourly wage and are expected make up the difference (and more) in gratuities if they are a good server. That’s why excellent American servers are incredibly attentive, friendly, responsive, and considerate to their customers because they hope to leave a lasting positive impression when the check arrives.

It is a very American practice, (but as a former waiter myself in a previous life) many international customers find, in general, American servers go well above and beyond when compared to servers in their home countries; and it is apparent why as there is incentive to do so.

3. Don’t overcharge

4. Deliver on time

If you charge someone a lot more than what others are charging then you’ll probably end up with just a one-off job

Working for cheap isn’t a good choice at all, most of people here work for 5/10€ and aren’t growing a working business.

I’m happy for you that you got rewarded, so please don’t think I’m being critical…

However, I’m a long term freelancer and in my experience when tips exceed order value then there is something seriously amiss with the original order value.

As a UK based freelancer $20 / £14 ($16 / £11 after Fiverr commission) is quite a low hourly rate for a skilled worker - certainly very low for a skilled freelance worker with the overheads of having to cover the cost of a high end editing PC.

So it stands to reason that a buyer based in any developed nation will recognise that paying a below market rate for one hour of time is getting a complete bargain (assuming the end result is acceptable). Even by adding the tip value, the buyer is still getting a bargain.

It’s so important to price jobs fairly and accurately to start with. When you price jobs this way, you’ll find that most buyers don’t tip you. That’s fine (in fact its reality) - but at least you’re ensuring a consistent rate for your work rather than leaving things to chance.

As @marinapomorac said - “tips are just decoration”. Outside of Fiverr, I’ve never come across the concept of tips as a freelance creative. Occasionally a client might send me a bottle of wine at Christmas or at the end of a project, but this whole tip business is a Fiverr invention.

I’m happy for you that you got rewarded, so please don’t think I’m being critical…

However, I’m a long term freelancer and in my experience when tips exceed order value then there is something seriously amiss with the original order value.

As a UK based freelancer $20 / £14 ($16 / £11 after Fiverr commission) is quite a low hourly rate for a skilled worker - certainly very low for a skilled freelance worker with the overheads of having to cover the cost of a high end editing PC.

So it stands to reason that a buyer based in any developed nation will recognise that paying a below market rate for one hour of time is getting a complete bargain (assuming the end result is acceptable). Even by adding the tip value, the buyer is still getting a bargain.

It’s so important to price jobs fairly and accurately to start with. When you price jobs this way, you’ll find that most buyers don’t tip you. That’s fine (in fact its reality) - but at least you’re ensuring a consistent rate for your work rather than leaving things to chance.

As @marinapomorac said - “tips are just decoration”. Outside of Fiverr, I’ve never come across the concept of tips as a freelance creative. Occasionally a client might send me a bottle of wine at Christmas or at the end of a project, but this whole tip business is a Fiverr invention.

Occasionally a client might send me a bottle of wine at Christmas or at the end of a project,

That’s just a “tipple”!

what you can do to make something like this happen.

This isn’t something you can make happen, tips are highly unusual for most fields but Fiverr pushes buyers to tip constantly after an order.

If you charge someone a lot more than what others are charging then you’ll probably end up with just a one-off job.

That’s terrible advice, undercharge just because everyone else is? If your work is worth $5000 and you have the credentials and previous works to show for it then that’s the selling price, not $5. I know you said don’t undercharge at the end but saying to not over charge and then to not undercharge is just contradictory, you’re either for or against one of those statements.

Seems to me you got lucky on this order and think you can replicate that same experience, I’m happy that you got the same value of the order in tips but there isn’t really a magical way to push buyers towards the tip button.

I am not talking specifically about tips, it’s like how you can make clients happy and maybe have a long term relation

That’s terrible advice, undercharge just because everyone else is? If your work is worth $5000 and you have the credentials and previous works to show for it then that’s the selling price, not $5. I know you said don’t undercharge at the end but saying to not overcharge and then to not undercharge is just contradictory, you’re either for or against one of those statements.

I never said undercharge, I said do not “Overcharge”

Don’t undercharge either!

I’ve seen some people take advantage of clients just because of their lack of knowledge, Sooner or later the customer would find out. All I said was to be reasonable in your pricing Do not overcharge either undercharge. If you have a monopoly with something then that’s a different thing as you are the sole decision-maker of the price.

• 1 month later...

Archived