So, two years ago I was a seller here offering digital illustration gig.
I remember those times when competition was tough, sellers are offering high quality services with low rate.
I completed 19 orders with 7 five star reviews (the other 12 orders were success too, but no review, can’t remember why) before finally paused my gig after getting an offline day job.
Fast forward today, I came back here not as a seller, but a buyer.
I thought I can see similar competition as per 2 years ago.
But no, the race for quality seems to be gone.
I put a buyer request for a hand drawn sketch.
Attached the concept and the style I want. Wrote down the budget: $20.
Boom! Nine offers came up!
I sent message to all nine sellers asking for a sample.
Not for my order if you think I’m going to cheat.
I just want to see any example of their work with similar style I want.
- Some sellers simply gone - that’s understandable.
- Some tried to convince me to stop wasting time and just put an order - hell yeah like I’m an idiot.
- Some send a picture I don’t know where the stole it from. Ever heard of Google reverse image search?
And so I gave up. I lost hope in finding any seller with simply reasonable effort to satisfy their buyer’s wish.
I guess I’m very confidence in selling new gigs if the competition is very easy like these days.
And here’s the tip for you guys and gals on how to respond to buyer’s request:
- Read and read again all information given by the buyer. Don’t miss anything! Provide example if asked.
- Find the meaning beyond the words. Don’t just simply answer the request. Answer the buyer’s need.
- If you think the request is beyond your capability, don’t even try. You waste your time.
- No need to offer lower price. Just go with the buyer’s budget and give your best effort.
- Imagine there’s 10 or more sellers offering their service, why should the buyer pick you? Your words? Your promise? Or your work? Stop talking and start showing. That means offering example, trial, or anything.
Lastly, be prepared. Coz the old G here’s coming and ready to scale up the race!
Good luck, lads!