Fiverr Forum

Tips for sellers recieving shady messages?

I just made my account here yesterday and since then I’ve had 5 people message me wanting to “offer business deals” on ■■■■■ ($_kyp_e to them) and sending PDFs I’m honestly too afraid to click on. The first time it happened, I added them on ■■■■■ thinking it was a normal thing to do business but I quickly realized something was up. Suddenly, they would talk about other freelance website. Some would tell me they’ve been banned and would offer me a monthly fee to give them some kind of account? Obviously shady deals, offers and possibly malware-filled PDFs, but for an account that has been up for most likely less than 24 hours its strange that all my contacts with people so far are these “I have a business deal I would like to discuss with you type”

Does anyone have tips for this? How do you approach the situation?

Edit: I’m guessing since the website has put blocks instead of text for what I’m typing that this is a no no.

9 Likes

As I’m sure you realized by now, they are scammers.

You should never share personal information or contact customers off Fiverr, as per ToS (you should read it, by the way) :grimacing:

That happens because these scammers target new sellers.

Reply to their message with a simple “no” so your response rate doesn’t go down, and then report them.

5 Likes

As an addicted internet user, this is rule number one - haha! For explanation: they provided me their contact info and I played along thinking it was the polite thing to do. I certainly won’t be making that mistake again!

Great advice. Thanks!

4 Likes

I’ve received 6 emails from people in China asking me to front for them to make accounts. It’s pretty ridiculous. I’ve received only 2 real inquiries. That’s not a great percentage from a newbie’s perspective.

4 Likes

Mine were mostly from China and Japan, but I’ve had one American spam me too.

Yeah, it’s not a great first impression for an artist just starting out but a few views on my accounts are starting to come in, so I’m at least happy with that! :slight_smile:

Just to have people see what you’re making and offering is a joy.

2 Likes

Report the most suspicious ones.

Requests to chat outside the platform = scam. This will get you banned pretty quickly if you get caught.

U p w o r k accounts = scam.

The ones that include attachments that you absolutely have to click on are most likely a scam with a few possible exceptions.

Create a quick response along the lines of: “Hello. If you’re interested in making a purchase, please provide the following information…” and add a few questions that are related to the job you’ll be doing for them. If they refuse to answer or insist that all the information is “inside the .PDF”, report those as well.

New sellers are being targeted with these kinds of messages. They are not all there is to fiverr and eventually you’ll stop receiving them.

5 Likes

Well, not really stop, but there will be fewer of them.

4 Likes

That is the hope lol

3 Likes

I’ve read this name so many times it has begun appearing in my dreams.

3 Likes

It’s like Lee from China is running a Guerrilla marketing campaign for u p w o r k on fiverr, I swear. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yep, I have received two messages from him. He always says he is from China, but his profile has said, Europe and Russia. Hmm. :thinking:

4 Likes

My Lee from China was from Canada, India and, I believe, Belgium. But well, maybe he travels a lot. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi, I’m also relatively new to Fiverr and I also got a shady message. It seems that there are people creating fake Fiverr accounts and sending these links trying to get people to create accounts on Upwork trying to get access to their local computers. How do we report these things?

1 Like

If only Fiverr had a way of vetting individuals to show proof that they are who they say they are before being allowed to join. The other freelance site must be doing something right, if now the scammers are trying to use this site to get back on the other one. Just my opinion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Go to your messages, on the right side of the username you will find two options: report and spam. Select the report one.

1 Like

Don’t open links. Report it.

1 Like

They do it at a later time (for sellers only, though), by asking for an ID verification.

3 Likes

Say no and then report and block.

1 Like

@catwriter It would be nice to require it for the buyers also. With today’s technology I would think that Fiverr could block the IP addresses from those who continually and purposely try to manipulate and deceive everyone they can. Maybe Fiverr is working on something like this?

1 Like

Buyers wouldn’t like it, and would go somewhere else, where their money is welcome without ID verification.

I’m not sure it would work. A lot of people have dynamic IP addresses, not to mention that there are countries with a total of several IP addresses, so it would block an entire country.

3 Likes