Tips on Building Good Requirements Gathering Forms for Delivering High-Quality Work

paulmaplesden

An often overlooked part of delivering great work is getting the right amount of information from the buyer to create a high-quality deliverable. Fortunately, Fiverr makes this easy to do, through the “Requirements” form.

You can get into quite a high level of detail in the form and make the questions fairly precise, rather than just having one “tell me what you need” field.

I thought it might be useful to share the types of questions we ask in our requirements forms, especially if they have been successful. I propose that we share the type of gig the form is for, then post the key questions / requirements areas that we ask for.

I’ll go first:

Area: Writing - Articles

1. What is the topic you want me to write about?

2. What keyword(s) do you want me to focus on?

3. Do you have a particular style or approach you want me to take? (e.g. question and answer, “how to” guide, explainer, something else). Also, do you have a particular tone you want me to use? (My normal style is a friendly, direct, “second person (you)” approach that addresses the reader and shares information.)

4. Please include any key facts or information you would like me to reference or include in the article. Please be as thorough as possible. If you have any research you would like me to read, please list sources.

5. If there are other articles you really like and you would like this article to have a similar look, feel, approach, or flavor, please list them here

6. Please provide details of your target audience for this piece and what you would like them to do as the result of reading it.

7. What is the website address for your business, website, or blog, so I can get more information?

8. If you have an outline or key sections you want me to focus on, please list them here.

Over to you - what works, and what doesn’t?

I’m sorry. Are you saying that there is an actual form (not one which I can create and upload for buyers to download) which can be used to make buyers answer questions like those in your example?

I don’t seem to have this.

I’m sorry. Are you saying that there is an actual form (not one which I can create and upload for buyers to download) which can be used to make buyers answer questions like those in your example?

I don’t seem to have this.

Yes, under “Requirements” when you edit your gig:

image.png.e92da34e5b92e084bbc937d9461fb835.png

Ah… Editing gigs. Aka killing them completely.

I’m pretty sure that the last time I added order requirements like this, I was limited to just one or two statements. I may revisit this when I’m next planning on pausing a few gigs.

I’m pretty sure that the last time I added order requirements like this, I was limited to just one or two statements. I may revisit this when I’m next planning on pausing a few gigs.

I’ve found it can really help when it comes to having the right information for delivery. Why not try it with a new gig and see if it ranks / if it helps quality of information?

I think the forms allow you to go up to ten questions, but it’s a while since I created these gigs.

I’ve found it can really help when it comes to having the right information for delivery. Why not try it with a new gig and see if it ranks / if it helps quality of information?

I think the forms allow you to go up to ten questions, but it’s a while since I created these gigs.

I’m afraid I’m a bit Fiverr burned out at present to even think about adding new gigs or tweaking old ones. - I should really be pausing more gigs to free up time and ease my workflow a bit.

Your suggestions are all great. Sadly, my biggest pain in the proverbial donkey is buyers who just ignore order requirements anyway and invent their own. i.e. This morning has been eaten up by a buyer who ignored:

To get started on your order, I need a full brief from you in regard to who you are, what your business does, what you are selling, and who your target audience is. I also need a link to your website, a copy of your logo on a transparent background (in .png format), and details of any contact information which you would like included in your video.

And sent a link to their website with the instructions:

“You look smart. You’ll figure it out.”

Personally, I think the best feature of my other main platform regards the Godsend of:

"Are the project requirements full of errors or confusing? Don’t be shy! Please click here to let us know so we can follow up with the client."

It just makes things so much easier.

I’m afraid I’m a bit Fiverr burned out at present to even think about adding new gigs or tweaking old ones. - I should really be pausing more gigs to free up time and ease my workflow a bit.

Your suggestions are all great. Sadly, my biggest pain in the proverbial donkey is buyers who just ignore order requirements anyway and invent their own. i.e. This morning has been eaten up by a buyer who ignored:

To get started on your order, I need a full brief from you in regard to who you are, what your business does, what you are selling, and who your target audience is. I also need a link to your website, a copy of your logo on a transparent background (in .png format), and details of any contact information which you would like included in your video.

Personally, I think the best feature of my other main platform regards the Godsend of:

"Are the project requirements full of errors or confusing? Don’t be shy! Please click here to let us know so we can follow up with the client."

I can appreciate that - I’ve seen your other posts and it does look like you’re getting hauled over the coals right now.

If you do ever want to edit your gigs again, I would recommend breaking down that question into separate questions that asks for each piece of information by itself. I would also include in those questions an explanation that without them, you cannot complete the work.

After all, why should you have to do that legwork? Anything that can push the buyer towards giving you the right information to make their deliverable better should be an improvement for both parties.

I agree with your questions. I found that when I started and asked for a brief or information I got a lot of confusion. When I broke it down into more detailed questions to elicit information, I got more clearer information and delivered better results. And it makes the buyer think about what they want.

An often overlooked part of delivering great work is getting the right amount of information from the buyer to create a high-quality deliverable. Fortunately, Fiverr makes this easy to do, through the “Requirements” form.

You can get into quite a high level of detail in the form and make the questions fairly precise, rather than just having one “tell me what you need” field.

I thought it might be useful to share the types of questions we ask in our requirements forms, especially if they have been successful. I propose that we share the type of gig the form is for, then post the key questions / requirements areas that we ask for.

I’ll go first:

3. Do you have a particular style or approach you want me to take? (e.g. question and answer, “how to” guide, explainer, something else). Also, do you have a particular tone you want me to use? (My normal style is a friendly, direct, “second person (you)” approach that addresses the reader and shares information.)

4. Please include any key facts or information you would like me to reference or include in the article. Please be as thorough as possible. If you have any research you would like me to read, please list sources.

5. If there are other articles you really like and you would like this article to have a similar look, feel, approach, or flavor, please list them here

6. Please provide details of your target audience for this piece and what you would like them to do as the result of reading it.

7. What is the website address for your business, website, or blog, so I can get more information?

8. If you have an outline or key sections you want me to focus on, please list them here.

Here’s my never-ending problem (maybe you’ll have some tips on how to deal with it at the end): some of my gig Extras require additional information from the buyer. I’ve tried going about gathering that info in two ways, none of which work:

1. adding an optional instruction field makes some buyers not fill it out even though they’ve ordered the Extras, which in turn requires further communication, and we all know that many buyers never come back to respond; more so, other buyers will fill it out even though they haven’t ordered the Extras, which has brought me some issues with buyers asking why the Extras haven’t been delivered, which they didn’t order but they provided the info for them :roll_eyes:

2. adding a required instruction field makes them all fill it out, which in turn makes some of them ask where the extras are in the delivery since they had to provide the info for them

The solution that I’ve proposed several times was always ignored: making Extra instruction fields that would show up only if those Extras were ordered. It’s a logical solution that should’ve been there from the time they introduced the Extras feature, had it been given enough thinking and testing.

So, how would you go about this annoying problem that currently leads to misunderstandings and confusions, along with bloated forms?

Here’s my never-ending problem (maybe you’ll have some tips on how to deal with it at the end): some of my gig Extras require additional information from the buyer. I’ve tried going about gathering that info in two ways, none of which work:

1. adding an optional instruction field makes some buyers not fill it out even though they’ve ordered the Extras, which in turn requires further communication, and we all know that many buyers never come back to respond; more so, other buyers will fill it out even though they haven’t ordered the Extras, which has brought me some issues with buyers asking why the Extras haven’t been delivered, which they didn’t order but they provided the info for them :roll_eyes:

2. adding a required instruction field makes them all fill it out, which in turn makes some of them ask where the extras are in the delivery since they had to provide the info for them

The solution that I’ve proposed several times was always ignored: making Extra instruction fields that would show up only if those Extras were ordered. It’s a logical solution that should’ve been there from the time they introduced the Extras feature, had it been given enough thinking and testing.

So, how would you go about this annoying problem that currently leads to misunderstandings and confusions, along with bloated forms?

Can you make it a required field and put at the beginning “Only fill this in if you have ordered XXXX, if you have not ordered XXXX please enter n/a” or something like that? It’s a bit cumbersome, but it’s the best workaround I could think of.

A second way could be to ask them in conversation once the order is placed.

A third alternative (and not an ideal one) would be to have a separate gig for the extra, which they buy if they need it (you would need to upsell this) that gathers the required info.

Can you make it a required field and put at the beginning “Only fill this in if you have ordered XXXX, if you have not ordered XXXX please enter n/a” or something like that? It’s a bit cumbersome, but it’s the best workaround I could think of.

A second way could be to ask them in conversation once the order is placed.

A third alternative (and not an ideal one) would be to have a separate gig for the extra, which they buy if they need it (you would need to upsell this) that gathers the required info.

but it’s the best workaround I could think of.

My Extras & Packages instruction fields were already set up like this (because, yeah, not only Extras have additional requirements, but now Packages, too):

Screenshot-25_May_2018-16_22_51.jpg.9264678c16be1fb95c38a3fdcec4db70.jpg

The uppercase words are the sign of my despair 😑

ask them in conversation once the order is placed

8 times out of 10 the buyer will not respond, at all, ever.

but it’s the best workaround I could think of.

My Extras & Packages instruction fields were already set up like this (because, yeah, not only Extras have additional requirements, but now Packages, too):

The uppercase words are the sign of my despair 😑

ask them in conversation once the order is placed

8 times out of 10 the buyer will not respond, at all, ever.

I think then, the only thing to do is make those fields mandatory, but tell them to put n/a in there - that way they are being forced to opt out.

I think then, the only thing to do is make those fields mandatory, but tell them to put n/a in there - that way they are being forced to opt out.

I’ll give it a try (though when I can afford doing an edit-to-kill-your-sales) – thank you Paul!

When it comes to Buyer Requirements, I find “or else” type options are best whenever possible.

For example - this requirement for translation has never had an issue:

Please specify if you prefer US or UK English.

If you do not specify, I will use US English and changing this afterwards will require an additional cost.

I do think that for most services, the buyer requirements is the key to getting information but I do suggest having some caveats to basically say “if you don’t actually pay attention here, you have no comeback”.

Also, using bullet points instead of a paragraph of requirements is much more productive and easy to follow.

Please complete ALL of the following to ensure you do not need changes later (additional costs).

• What does your business do?
  • What is your product or service
  • Who is your target audience

Also include:

• Website link
  • Your logo in .png (transparent) format
  • Company contact details

In this way you are telling them to cop on or pay the price in a way that sounds like you are looking out for them.

This is crazy from a buyer BUT what my response to that would be a custom extra and the message:

For the additional research and work required, please accept this custom extra for $50(+) or alternatively supply the information as requested.

What kind of buyers are you attracting, Andy? Hahaha. 😂

I’ll go first:

I´ve had more extensive requirements but that didn’t work well with some clients, for example, if you get many who don’t speak English well, it can be difficult and works better when steamed down to the really essential plus a “please tell me anything (else) that…” catch-all requirement in the end (important that it’s the last point in the requirements).

Most of my gigs are custom offers, which is great because I often got the files per inbox already and from the conversation know what the client needs/wants, so I can untick the requirements for their offer and the order can start right away without the client needing to meditate on my requirements and perhaps only filling them out days later or never.

Same as Eoin, I found multiple choice questions combined with “If you don’t know/fill this out/whatever, x is the default” to be very useful.

I’ve changed my requirements page/s quite a few times over time, either when something happened that made me think Oh! I should put that in the requirements or the contrary I should take that out better… and every time I changed something, I went through the whole thing, trying to whittle it down to as few and simple requirements and wording as possible.

If possible, let a friend/family read it and tell you if they clearly understand what you want from them, if not, work on it until they do. 🙂

Archived