Tips to sellers responding to requested gigs

Im in for a few gigs and noticing several things in regards to sellers. SO figure some tips so both sides know what to expect and go smooth.

1- DO NOT reply to a gig you do not have experience working with. Some buyers (myself for example, have experience) know the system but may not have time to do it. If I see you offer a gig for the exact service for $5 and you respond that a job will take 5-6 hours (when I know reality is about 1 hour) and you request $25 for the same gig you listed at $5, to the customer you are lying and misleading OR you have NO CLUE what you are really doing.

2-DO reply with the cost and more then a template response. List your experience as well with the same system or what you are efficient with. This is important because if I give you access to an admin area where there is a component installed that lets you modify and edit all the site files, you dont need cpanel access. I assume when I ask for an expert in Joomla that I get responses from people that know as much or more then I do. Its disappointing when I have to correct sellers about very basic and simple things in the system. If you know php, but no knowledge of the joomla platform then I can at least tell you from the beginning to save some time for both of us.

3- DO NOT reply if you are a part time seller and will never respond in a timely fashion. Why are you wasting other peoples times?

4- DO reply with an estimated time and cost. Remember the cost. Its important for budgeting and not going back and forth. A few lines of code here and there doesnt take forever and obviously researching the problem on stackexchange and other sites may take time. Assume the buyer has done that and now is here because he doesnt want to take the time to work it out completely or wait for responses.

5- DO know what you are getting into. If the gig states its a joomla gantry template needing work and you have NEVER worked on joomla or know what the gantry framework is, then its probably best you dont respond. If you do respond and feel confident in doing the work then do not try to charge more if you have a problem or expect the buyer to pay you to learn about the framework.

Hope some of you take notice. It would be nice if fiverr left a rating system next to the user to list it or gave tests like freelancer does to test the knowledge of the seller.

Edited it for gig clarity is the buyer requesting a gig and sellers responding

You forgot “do all of it and MAYBE I’ll spend $5”.

Seriously, what’s wrong with #3? Part time seller aren’t allowed to work anymore? When did the rule update? If someone took too long to respond (well, “too long” in your opinion), you have all the rights to contact other sellers. Or you can contact more than one at a time and choose the fastest. If they’re too slow then they won’t survice. If they still get customers then “too long” is actually not that long.

And “List your experience”? You come to the seller, not the other way around. This’s not a job interview that the seller applies for. If you want to know more about the seller’s ability, you have to ask. Though in some case the live portfolio is enough. (Just some case, I don’t know about coding but I believe it’s not something that could show on the live porfolio Fiverr offers.)

If you’re talking about the sellers responding to buyer requests, please keep in mind that a seller can only respond with a link to their gig. There’s no way for the seller to send you a message, list their experience, or send anything but the link to their gig, not util you contact them directly.

You as a buyer, are here because the service is cheap. And you always have the freedom of choice to hire someone outside Fiverr and pay him ~$80/h.

If it’s your decision to buy a pair of jeans for $10, then you should not be complaining about bad stitches.

When someone works with you, will they receive health insurance, paid vacations, paid sickness as well as bonuses? No…? Then don’t ask expect people to cater to your every whim for $5.

Reply to @vectormoon:

vectormoon said: If it's your decision to buy a pair of jeans for $10, then you should not be complaining about bad stitches.

:)
But it is fair enough to complain if someone buys what is advertised as a "pair of jeans for $5" then they get a pair of shorts delivered and are told if they want the rest of the legs they'll have to pay more.

Reply to @itsyourthing: Well, in a marketplace where anyone can become a service provider. And by anyone, I mean people with no formal education, skills, and with no business experience whatsoever. Then it’s quite obvious that there is going to be a really high percentage of falsely advertised services.

And there is also going to be a high percentage of clients, who have little or no experience running a business. By thinking about short term goals only, they try to invest as little as possible. That’s how they get bad service and bad results over and over again.

Reply to @vectormoon:

vectormoon said: By thinking about short term goals only, they try to invest as little as possible. That's how they get bad service and bad results over and over again.
I'm not sure that "bad" has the same definition it once did. Fiverr is a sterling example. Some of the best-selling gigs and highest-rated sellers crank out garbage. It's not inexperience or communication barriers; often times it's choice. The tide is turning. In most industries it's quantity over quality that brings in the bank. International, online marketplaces have trained people to expect less.

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of professional vision from the buyers, it's the 'least I can get away with' mentality - and it's more effective every day.

Just an aside.

Reply to @miacmht:

Part time is fine but if you dont plan on replying right away or doing the job in a timely manner why are you wasting time?

We post a gig, you respond. Im not going to the seller in these cases. Im posting for QUALIFIED sellers. ANd I list that. If I post for a php expert an you have no experience in php just html markup then why are responding?

rssrc753 said: Part time is fine but if you dont plan on replying right away or doing the job in a timely manner why are you wasting time?

We post a gig, you respond. Im not going to the seller in these cases. Im posting for QUALIFIED sellers. ANd I list that. If I post for a php expert an you have no experience in php just html markup then why are responding?
Because sellers are desperate and hope that since this is a low-budget marketplace, the potential buyer will be happy enough getting "close enough".

There are excellent sellers here who do high-quality work at very low rates, but in exchange for that possibility, the buyer has the responsibility of thoroughly researching whom they deal with.

In short, Fiverr is what it is, and if you want high-quality at low cost, you have to be willing to look for the diamonds.

Edit: I wanted to add that every seller has a average "response time" on their profile and as much as it may inconvenience you, this a freelance platform - sellers do not work on a schedule. If you need someone on-demand, you should consider contracting a vendor or hiring an employee.

I have asked 5 video editors if they can do a job in the past two days and I have not even heard a yes or no from any of them. Is this normal?

Reply to @chirosg: I wonder if other sellers are having the same problem as me. Fiverr is doing some more updating and one of those updates has to do with messaging. I had buyers follow up with a message saying they sent me a message in the past few days that I never got.

I notified Fiverr customer service and they said they have to look further into it. That means it is going to be a while before I see a fix.

Reply to @kjblynx:

Yes thats why the title reads Seller responding to gigs.

Reply to @itsyourthing:

Yes i see the average response time. But as a buyer I notice some have a long response time and they replied to a request. Which Im not sure as most buyers when they post for something it is not for something longterm. I would believe it is for immediate work otherwise posted. But “close enough” is not acceptable when your talking about coding. Its either right or its not going to cut it.

On average I can see how some jobs will require more work and thus it should cost more. But Im not a beginner either and I know that 3 errors in the same file can often be fixed with changing no more then a couple letters of code in less than an 30 mins. Which in most cases you can google the code and see what has worked for others. For someone to say it will take them 5-6 hours when I do the same work in 45-hour and can google and see the fixes myself I wonder about the credibility of the seller. The seller obviously is inexperienced or a thief (but in most cases think inexperience or desparate). You would have to take a nap for 5 hours then start work to take that long.

What I am hoping to find is maybe 2 people (1 frontend and 1 backend) to use long term when I am working on other things. If your a mechanic and taking your vehicle to other mechanics its usually because you are busy but also know what the problems are. If you take a car in and you need an oil change and pull into a sign that says $22 and you think ok, my time is better spent paying the 22 then doing it myself and then the person tells you it will take 2 days and cost 75 to do the change, what would you think lol.

I know people say “its $5”, then why post the work on here? if its too complicated for you to do that task for $5 then you shouldnt be posting it and leaving it for people that do not find it complicated.

Reply to @mrproofreading:

If you want that then go find a corporate job and get off a $5 ad board. Maybe with the work ethic or attitude is why you dont have a job at one with the benefits.

Reply to @catwriter:

thank you. that I wasnt aware of. Would be nice if fiverr would allow this and also allow more room for the buyer to post more details of the problem. Instead of having the buyer send the replies to everyone they are trying to communicate with.

Adding an edit to the top: Gigs are sold by sellers. Gigs offer a service that can be purchased. Buyer requests are posted by buyers so that sellers can offer a gig to that buyer. This is just to clarify since you are using gigs interchangeably.

rssrc753 said: If I see you offer a gig for the exact service for $5 and you respond that a job will take 5-6 hours (when I know reality is about 1 hour)

I can't speak for all sellers but if my delivery time is say - 7 days - and someone writes me to ask how long it will take me to do their job, it isn't that simple. If I have no other gigs in queue including custom jobs, no 2nd job, no doctor visits, etc. etc. then perhaps I could do a request in an hour. Most of the time I have to also finish jobs that were ordered first, make time for possible express gigs coming in, and deal with life. It may not take me 5-6 hours to do your job, but it may be days before you would be at the top of my queue.
rssrc753 said: DO reply with the cost and more then a template response.

Since I saw your other post about Buyer Requests I wanted to add something. If you are referring to buyer requests when you say people should reply with more than a template response - that isn't possible. The Buyer Request system allows sellers to respond only with the gig template that Fiverr picks for us. We cannot add additional detail until you contact us.

rssrc753 said: DO NOT reply if you are a part time seller and will never respond in a timely fashion

I would say the majority of sellers do this part-time. Few can afford to do Fiverr alone. As far as timely - what people mean by timely varies greatly.

To be honest, you sound like an uninformed buyer wanted loads of work for almost no funds (Fiverr takes 20% commission from sellers too) and you sound incredibly picky. You need to hire someone that sits in your office and works direction for you, not a contractor. When I get a buyer that is blatantly over-demanding, I would rather cancel and move on whether it's a $5 job or a $20 job. I do understand you feel that as a the person payment money you are entitled to get what you paid for an I agree. But, to paraphrase another seller on the forums - if you pay for an apple and expect a fruit cocktail with granola and yogurt - you are going to be regularly disappointed.

Reply to @fonthaunt:

fonthaunt said: if my delivery time is say - 7 days - and someone writes me to ask how long it will take me to do their job, it isn't that simple.

Im not talking about time for a person to get the job completed, Im talking about time it takes to complete. If you tell me its going to take you 5-6 hours to write 2 lines of code then you obviously shouldnt be in this field.

fonthaunt said: you sound incredibly picky. You need to hire someone that sits in your office and works direction for you, not a contractor. When I get a buyer that is blatantly over-demanding, I would rather cancel and move on whether it's a $5 job or a $20 job.

Incredibly picking to expect to pay for a line of code and it to work? This tells me you know absolutely nothing about programming or editing. What should I expect then? If a customer comes to you and you mess up the site or dont do what is expected then Im being too picky? Wow. I really feel for your customers then. When you pay for an apple you expect an apple. Not a rotten one that cant be eaten or worse makes your site "sick" and causing more errors then it had originally.

fonthaunt said: Adding an edit to the top: Gigs are sold by sellers. Gigs offer a service that can be purchased. Buyer requests are posted by buyers so that sellers can offer a gig to that buyer. This is just to clarify since you are using gigs interchangeably.

You know its called a "GIG REQUEST" correct? Meaning I "the buyer" are requesting this gig.

Reply to @rssrc753: If you’re looking for someone to outsource overflow work to, I strongly suggest you go a more traditional route. It really is playing with fire to do it on Fiverr.

If you can find an amazing seller, who offers impressive quality at a good rate, who is willing to prioritize your work above everything else, the Fiverr platform is far from perfect. There have been occasions where I have never received any notification for orders and the messaging system is notoriously troublesome.

If you intend to only source a worker through Fiverr and then use their services off-site (which is against the rules), you may as well still go the traditional route and get a better evaluation of the worker’s abilities and rates in the first place by communicating with them directly.

rssrc753 said: If you tell me its going to take you 5-6 hours to write 2 lines of code then you obviously shouldnt be in this field.
It takes different people different lengths of time to do something. AND, it depends entirely on the function of those "2 lines".

I can get a "hamburger" at McDonalds for $.99 or I can get one at a 5-star restaurant for $45. They are both technically hamburgers, but very different.

I've spent a great deal of time on this forum arguing that sellers should be honest and actually provide what they say they will provide for $5, not bait & switch, not mislead to upsell etc., etc., but at the end of the day, as a buyer you cannot dictate what a seller offers for sale, or how they offer it - they can call themselves an "expert", a "genius", a "rock star" programmer even if they can't change a font on a WordPress template. You also can't demand that they meet your particular standard before they can name or sell anything.

If you want to get cheap, quality work, you have to perform your due diligence and even then keep your fingers crossed. This is Fiverr, not a recruiting event at MIT!