To Sellers & Buyers: The Art of Upselling, Repeat Business, and Business Relationships on Fiverr

hotwebideas

Ok, for sellers who are new here, I see a lot of seller pages where there are only 2 or 3 gigs. Those few gigs may be your forte, but there are a lot of benefits to adding more gigs: The upsell and repeat business with the buyer.

I have 18 internet marketing and web design gigs here, but about 5 of them are about marketing bloggers and their blogs. The majority of the time, my “blogging” buyers only find ONE of those gigs on the Fiverr search. They order my gig, I deliver, and get the positive feedback. That would be the perfect time to tell those buyers about my OTHER “blogger” gigs and they usually buy a few. Upselling is good on Fiverr and totally acceptable.

Work With Your Buyer’s Trust In You!

When I over-deliver to my buyers and get that positive feedback, I realized that the buyer now trusts me. Any time you get positive feedback, you have earned the buyer’s trust. They obviously like you and your service. You can now start a real business relationship on Fiverr with the buyer. Business relationships bring repeat business. Repeat business creates the opportunities for upsells.

Thanking the Buyer When Delivering Your Gig and Upsell Your Other Gigs

I have purchased Fiverr gigs from sellers and the delivery message is short and unprofessional. This is your chance to tell the buyer about your other related gigs and their benefits. I tell the buyer how many other gigs I have and to feel free to browse my gigs. Afterall, the buyer is only aware of one of my gigs. I want them to know about all of them that are of benefit. I have one buyer who has purchased 26 orders in 4 different gigs. I also have another buyer who has purchased 18 orders in 3 gigs.

When I tell the buyer about my other gigs, I get new orders that same day over 75% of the time.

Bottom line: Fiverr is a marketplace and marketplaces always create branding, business relationships, upsells and repeat business. Think about other related services that you can offer and how those services will benefit your buyers, because in the end, it is the benefits that sell, not the features (Marketing 101 LOL)

TO THE BUYERS, I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT YOU EITHER 😉

Reading gig descriptions.

Nothing drives a seller crazier than asking for things that are not in the gig description. Some sellers can be humble and deliver, but most sellers become sour and frustrated and probably not do the best job. Afterall, the seller is getting asked to do something that is not part of the gig. If you need something unrelated, please message the buyer first. You may be surprised that the seller may carry it out.

If the work is unsatisfactory, don’t just leave a negative feedback and disappear.

Everyone hates negative feedback. It makes the seller look bad. Fiverr gives you the chance to reject work. Please reject the work and give the seller a chance to make it right. I think negative feedback should only be used for really nasty, unprofessional sellers who clearly don’t want to perform the work, but since most sellers are professional, there is no reason to leave negative feedback. It makes the seller very upset and causes them (and Fiverr) to lose business.

Bruce

Ok, for sellers who are new here, I see a lot of seller pages where there are only 2 or 3 gigs. Those few gigs may be your forte, but there are a lot of benefits to adding more gigs: The upsell and repeat business with the buyer.

I have 18 internet marketing and web design gigs here, but about 5 of them are about marketing bloggers and their blogs. The majority of the time, my “blogging” buyers only find ONE of those gigs on the Fiverr search. They order my gig, I deliver, and get the positive feedback. That would be the perfect time to tell those buyers about my OTHER “blogger” gigs and they usually buy a few. Upselling is good on Fiverr and totally acceptable.

Work With Your Buyer’s Trust In You!

When I over-deliver to my buyers and get that positive feedback, I realized that the buyer now trusts me. Any time you get positive feedback, you have earned the buyer’s trust. They obviously like you and your service. You can now start a real business relationship on Fiverr with the buyer. Business relationships bring repeat business. Repeat business creates the opportunities for upsells.

Thanking the Buyer When Delivering Your Gig and Upsell Your Other Gigs

I have purchased Fiverr gigs from sellers and the delivery message is short and unprofessional. This is your chance to tell the buyer about your other related gigs and their benefits. I tell the buyer how many other gigs I have and to feel free to browse my gigs. Afterall, the buyer is only aware of one of my gigs. I want them to know about all of them that are of benefit. I have one buyer who has purchased 26 orders in 4 different gigs. I also have another buyer who has purchased 18 orders in 3 gigs.

When I tell the buyer about my other gigs, I get new orders that same day over 75% of the time.

Bottom line: Fiverr is a marketplace and marketplaces always create branding, business relationships, upsells and repeat business. Think about other related services that you can offer and how those services will benefit your buyers, because in the end, it is the benefits that sell, not the features (Marketing 101 LOL)

TO THE BUYERS, I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT YOU EITHER 😉

Reading gig descriptions.

Nothing drives a seller crazier than asking for things that are not in the gig description. Some sellers can be humble and deliver, but most sellers become sour and frustrated and probably not do the best job. Afterall, the seller is getting asked to do something that is not part of the gig. If you need something unrelated, please message the buyer first. You may be surprised that the seller may carry it out.

If the work is unsatisfactory, don’t just leave a negative feedback and disappear.

Everyone hates negative feedback. It makes the seller look bad. Fiverr gives you the chance to reject work. Please reject the work and give the seller a chance to make it right. I think negative feedback should only be used for really nasty, unprofessional sellers who clearly don’t want to perform the work, but since most sellers are professional, there is no reason to leave negative feedback. It makes the seller very upset and causes them (and Fiverr) to lose business.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

This is great advice! This is my forth day on fiverr, but I’ve already learned so much. Of course I’m obsessed at this point. I have a question though, what are your thoughts on offering different services since Fiverr frowns upon setting up multiple accounts? Say for instance on Youtube you can have an account for one style and another one for something else. It’s important not to confuse people as to your expertise but you wouldn’t want to limit yourself on the opportunity to branch out as you’ve said here.

I’m going to go and think about gigs I can add to my portfolio. Thanks.

Best

Reply to @athruz: Thanks for the compliments on this post. Multiple accounts are taboo here, but it would be really cool if Fiverr can take off the limit on how many gigs you can have.

As a second level seller, I have 20 gigs, but I have ideas for 35 different gigs. Since we cannot have mutliple accounts, I am always shuffling around my gigs, deleting low performing ones and testing out new ones. Some grow fast in orders and some gigs have sales that move like a turtle which eventually get cut. If Fiverr removes this limit, this would remove any need for multiple accounts.

Even better, we should be able to add “Gig Categories” where we can group gigs on our own seller page, so like you said, you can offer different “related” services.

Bruce

Reply to @hotwebideas: It wasn’t you. 😉 About buyers not reading gig description, a lady just bought my 45 sec video, I completed it and she was happy but she came back to me and asked if the video could be edited a bit and I said since it is a 45 sec video, it would have been good if she bought the 1.3 min video. She was shocked to know that it is a 45 sec video as she did not notice it on my gig. I even highlight it.

People dont really read gig descriptions 😉

Yeah, thanks for this great post hotwebideas. I like the bit intended for the buyer. I have had a handful of “Thumb Down” in my Fiverr career and sure enough it was from buyers who didn’t read properly the description of the Gig they purchased, or from someone from a non-English speaking country. From then on, when I suspect something like that, I contact the buyers asking them to confirm the most important points of my Gig description and telling them that they can cancel the order if they wish.

Mind you, if I may take advantage of your space hotwebideas, I had an experience sometime ago where a buyer would give me only a fraction of the details I needed to work on his order. Each time I contacted him to get more information, he would not respond, but instead he would buy another extra, even when I offered to cancel the order. From the flag of his profile, it was obvious to me that he might not understand English. I then decided to do something for him with his order and Extras. When I delivered the job, to my surprise I not only got a Thumb Up with the most wonderful Positive Comment (yes, in a broken English), but also repeat orders. :))

• 2 months later...

Reply to @kjblynx: As @voiceoverwork said below, these 3 people are pushing their gigs and that is against the rules and have nothing to do with my topic. The sheriffs did not shrug it off.

Since you are good at telling people what they do wrong on this forum, maybe you should take an example from @voiceoverwork and tell these people to post their gigs in the “My Gigs” section where they are supposed to be.

Reply to @hotwebideas:

hotwebideas said: As a second level seller, I have 20 gigs, but I have ideas for 35 different gigs. Since we cannot have mutliple accounts, I am always shuffling around my gigs, deleting low performing ones and testing out new ones. Some grow fast in orders and some gigs have sales that move like a turtle which eventually get cut. If Fiverr removes this limit, this would remove any need for multiple accounts.

Frankly, I suspect 20 gigs is already too much. Though I cannot be 100% sure.

Remember: Throughout the day in a California gourmet market, researchers switched back and forth between offering a selection of 24 jams to a group of six jams.

On average, customers tasted two jams, regardless of the size of the assortment, and each one received a coupon good for $1 off one jam.

Here’s the interesting part.

Sixty percent of customers were drawn to the large assortment, while only 40 percent stopped by the small one.

But 30 percent of the people who had sampled from the small assortment decided to buy jam, while only 3 percent of those confronted with the two dozen jams purchased a jar.

People might find more and more choice to actually be debilitating.

Over the years, versions of the jam study have been conducted using all sorts of subjects, like chocolate and speed dating.

Of course, it might be too simple to conclude that too many choices are bad, just as it is wrong to assume that more choices are always better.

It can depend on what information we’re being given as we make those choices, the type of expertise we have to rely on and how much importance we ascribe to each choice.

However, with FIVERR, we don't have a lot of opportunity to make a clear and concise impression.

The suggestion I give sellers is to have a few laser targeted gigs. Deliver those gigs in a way that you can describe other services YOU CAN OFFER (but for which you don't have a public gig) ...then use a "will work as agreed" type gig as a cover all for anything you can do.

Since in Hotwebs approach, he gets a high conversion after the intial sale, BY ASKING, it should still work for you...

...and if you find that 60% to 80% of your initial orders come from 4 of you gigs. You could clear up the clutter and I suspect get over all higher conversions.

It certainly was my experience.

anarchofighter said: ...and if you find that 60% to 80% of your initial orders come from 4 of you gigs. You could clear up the clutter and I suspect get over all higher conversions.

Well said. You make sense, BUT...I think your jam example would work for Fiverr only if our actual profiles were presented to buyers on search results, but I find that is not the case on Fiverr. Since our individual gigs come up on search results, it looks like the 6 jams to me instead of 30 jams.

I find that my happier buyers come back after the initial sale and peruse my selection of gigs and the fact that I would have 6 or 30 jams at the point would be irrelevant since I have their respect and positive feedback. They just want to see what else I offer. That has been my experience lately.

Some of my repeat buyers also tell me that I have a lot of gigs and ask me to make suggestions and I love that, because then I can push whatever it is I want to sell and 75% of the time, those buyers actually take my suggestions and purchase the gigs.

hotwebideas said: Well said. You make sense, BUT...I think your jam example would work for Fiverr only if our actual profiles were presented to buyers on search results, but I find that is not the case on Fiverr. Since our individual gigs come up on search results, it looks like the 6 jams to me instead of 30 jams.

That is a great point to consider! Though remember, the 30 jams did get "more traffic" which is at least in part what you're arguing. However, the complexity is the traffic often comes to ONE and only ONE gig.

I'd love to go to work for Fiverr for a few months and do all kinds of metrics study and then teach sellers the best practices.

Archived